Things2do
Division: Grad
State: TN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Your Daily Random Comment

Post by Things2do »

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.
These users thanked the author Things2do for the post (total 2):
LittleMissNyan (November 26th, 2020, 10:01 am) • MorningCoffee (November 26th, 2020, 10:18 am)
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
MorningCoffee
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by MorningCoffee »

ITS TURKEY DAYYYYYYY
(we couldn't get a turkey in time so i'm eating chicken this year ;w;)
Events 2023-2024:
uhh we'll find out let me apply to college first

orch dork forever
hot chocolate is best drink c:
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Have an awesome Thanksgiving, everyone! Whether you're having relatives over, traveling, or just having a nice Thanksgiving with your family, I hope you find things to be thankful for in this difficult time.
These users thanked the author Tailsfan101 for the post (total 3):
LittleMissNyan (November 26th, 2020, 2:21 pm) • Booknerd (November 26th, 2020, 2:36 pm) • AstroClarinet (November 26th, 2020, 5:25 pm)
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
404ic
State: CA

Post by 404ic »

Hi all! I'm not really active here, but I'm making my rounds for Thanksgiving messages, and I realized Science Olympiad absolutely deserves my thought and attention today. This is not really my best prose, but I'm a bit tired today heh.

To Whom It May Concern:

Happy Thanksgiving! Science Olympiad is something different to each and every person. Some of us just formed a SciOly club this year and don’t even have a full team to compete with; some of us are aiming to win Nationals (or maybe even have already won!); some of us graduated years ago and are still around for some reason. That’s one of the reasons I’m still here, a whole nine(??) months after graduating! (That’s not very long; let’s see how long I actually stick around :>.) The competition offers a positive experience for any student interested in science, no matter their background, whereas most other STEM competitions do not.

For me, SciOly was a multifaceted educational experience, and to paraphrase one of my captains, the most important lessons I learned from SciOly were about people, not science. It’s stupid and cliche, but I never understood how important mentorship, collaboration, and team spirit were until I was in a position where I tried (and failed) to cultivate them in my team. There are certainly structural changes that are straightforward to implement that can improve a team for maybe a season or two, but the intangibles that make a team cohesive and its members passionate are what keeps it going for years to come. I learned a lot about proteins, epidemiology, and how to break a Rube Goldberg machine over the years, but my social experiences with those who have collaborated with me and those who made my job a lot harder are what I will remember long after my college years.

As an alum, only a couple months in, I am overwhelmed and ecstatic about the vast number of opportunities available for those who are still passionate about the competition after graduation. For those of you who took the BEARSO Protein Modeling test, uh, well, I have no comments on that, but I will do my best at every tournament I am associated with to run the best events possible to give back to the organization that has provided me with so much. Written words only go so far, and I hope I can demonstrate how much I care by staying involved with SciOly for as long as I can.

Most importantly, I'd like to thank the Science Olympiad community, just like the one that exists here on SciOly.org. I joined the competition in seventh grade to sharpen my scientific skills and hopefully win some hardware, but I left with deep friendships and connections, and the medals and trophies that came along the way are merely an afterthought. As we continue with virtual SciOly and eventually transition back to regular tournaments, I can't wait to find other people who care about Science Olympiad just as much as we do. You are all dedicated, caring, and amazing people, and I am grateful to share this passion with all of you. I don’t make many good decisions, but I have never and will never doubt my decision to stay in Science Olympiad.

Sincerely,
Eric

P.S. For the SciOly.org mod team, y'all seem great. From my brief interactions with GZ, Jaspattack, and Bernard on Discord, y'all have assembled a great team to run the website.
These users thanked the author 404ic for the post (total 20):
MorningCoffee (November 26th, 2020, 2:03 pm) • gz839918 (November 26th, 2020, 2:04 pm) • bearasauras (November 26th, 2020, 2:05 pm) • sciolyperson1 (November 26th, 2020, 2:10 pm) • Godspeed (November 26th, 2020, 2:16 pm) • LittleMissNyan (November 26th, 2020, 2:22 pm) • builderguy135 (November 26th, 2020, 2:23 pm) • Rossyspsce (November 26th, 2020, 2:25 pm) • kh.aotic (November 26th, 2020, 2:29 pm) • jaspattack (November 26th, 2020, 2:34 pm) and 10 more users
Pi-Bot

Post by Pi-Bot »

MorningCoffee wrote: November 26th, 2020, 10:19 am ITS TURKEY DAYYYYYYY
(we couldn't get a turkey in time so i'm eating chicken this year ;w;)
We also use GroupMe for a lot of time have anything to do with ProBoards? I found them on a Google Search...
~~~ This message was posted completely with code (dm: no, ver: 2.0.0). If there is an error, please contact pepperonipi in the signature. ~~~
Disruptions could happen over the next few days. If anything serious, please DM pepperonipi.
Hey! I'm Pi-Bot, a Transmutation Hovertruck created by pepperonipi! I post at specified times with no human around. If you have any questions about me, please message pepperonipi!

Wiki: Contributions | Tasks
Forums: Changelog
Things2do

Post by Things2do »

Have y'all considered putting a Discord widget on the website like you used to have for the IRC?
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
jaspattack
State: MO

Post by jaspattack »

Things2do wrote: November 26th, 2020, 8:05 pm Have y'all considered putting a Discord widget on the website like you used to have for the IRC?
I don't think it's really possible to implement it in an elegant fashion like there was with the IRC. It's possible to open Discord in a browser, but integrating it with the website would be a little more difficult.
CHS '21 // Mizzou '25 | Jaspattack's Userpage

2020-21 Events: Designer Genes, Forensics, Ornithology, Protein Modeling

I edit the wiki sometimes.
gz839918
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: WI
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by gz839918 »

I believe Discord forbids embedding their service into other websites. Google does this too—if you try to embed the Google search homepage into your own website, it simply won't show up. They do allow you to embed a few custom widgets (for example, Google custom search bars for personal websites), but most other things are off limits for embedding. I think it's for security reasons, although it'd certainly be awesome if we could have it though!
These users thanked the author gz839918 for the post:
jaspattack (November 27th, 2020, 10:13 pm)
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23
“People overestimate what they can do in a day, and underestimate what they can do in a lifetime.” –Unknown
Pi-Bot

Post by Pi-Bot »

Things2do wrote: November 26th, 2020, 8:05 pm Have y'all considered putting a Discord widget on the website like you used to have for the IRC?
Haha, last day of finals today This means last day of school. I was somewhat happy, yet sad as well. :x
~~~ This message was posted completely with code (dm: no, ver: 2.0.0). If there is an error, please contact pepperonipi in the signature. ~~~
Disruptions could happen over the next few days. If anything serious, please DM pepperonipi.
Hey! I'm Pi-Bot, a Transmutation Hovertruck created by pepperonipi! I post at specified times with no human around. If you have any questions about me, please message pepperonipi!

Wiki: Contributions | Tasks
Forums: Changelog
Things2do

Post by Things2do »

jaspattack wrote: November 26th, 2020, 11:59 pm
I don't think it's really possible to implement it in an elegant fashion like there was with the IRC. It's possible to open Discord in a browser, but integrating it with the website would be a little more difficult.
I came across this, and it made me wonder... I'm not even certain if that's what it is, but I figured I'd ask anyway.
https://docs.widgetbot.io/tutorial/
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki

Return to “General Chat”