2020-2021 Trials

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
MoMoney$$$;)0)
Division: C
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

2020-2021 Trials

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

A new topic for trial events, so they can be separated from the official event thread.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult
MoMoney$$$;)0)

Re: 2020-2021 Trials

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

SilverBreeze wrote: March 28th, 2020, 2:37 pm I don't know where to put this, but I just had a random idea: What about a future trial event or real event related to quantum mechanics? Maybe conceptual-only or something. Thoughts?
I think this a good idea with a good concept in mind, but it would be hard for most teams to get good participants for it, and the scores for like the top teams would be like 25%. Also, more of a question to put into 2020-2021 trials, so I'll pull it in there.
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

Mr.Epithelium
State: KY

Post by Mr.Epithelium »

SilverBreeze wrote: March 28th, 2020, 2:37 pm I don't know where to put this, but I just had a random idea: What about a future trial event or real event related to quantum mechanics? Maybe conceptual-only or something. Thoughts?
I was wondering this for a while too! The closest thing that I found of it was "Quantum Quandaries", a 2016 MIT invite trial event.
My first name is Nonkeratinized. My middle name is Squamous.
jaspattack
Division: Grad
State: MO

Post by jaspattack »

As someone who spends a lot of time on the trial events page, there are some really interesting ones that I think states should give a shot. I think there's a severe lack of physics and computer science related events, and a quantum mechanics event would be super cool (in my opinion). Nuclear Science Lab is another event that I think would be really interesting, but I think it works a lot better as a study/test event. Something about giving kids radioactive materials doesn't bode super well with me. In terms of computer science though, I (and many others) would love to see Source Code run nationally. I don't think Game On is really an accurate enough representation of what computer science is.

Actually, I think a lot of the events on the Trial Event page are really interesting concepts, but a lot of them fall into the "it would be hard to get good participants for it" range. This is why making events is so hard, I guess.
CHS '21 // Mizzou '25 | Jaspattack's Userpage

2020-21 Events: Designer Genes, Forensics, Ornithology, Protein Modeling

I edit the wiki sometimes.
Giantpants
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by Giantpants »

Another good one I've seen is Data Science, which was run at Harvard as well as Texas competitions in 2019-2020. I wonder if we will see more states adopt it for widespread use, as I've heard and read mainly positive reviews as to people's opinions on the event. I don't know much about computer science, but from an outside perspective, it looks far more representative of the field than Game On. I'm excited to see what else joins the ranks of all the trials for 2020-2021!
Haverford College, Class of 2024!
Former President, Kellenberg, 2018-2020
Bro. Joseph Fox, 2014-2017

Events I'm Writing in 2023: Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals
Events I've Written in Years Past: Geologic Mapping, Remote Sensing
Giantpants's Userpage
MoMoney$$$;)0)

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

Is anyone up for creating rules for a Quantum Mechanics event, I'm willing to create rules for the trial event, but I was wondering if there is any support up for making rules for it (Since I've personally made a new event), and well as submitting it as an official Science Olympiad trial. Any thoughts or considerations?
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

MoMoney$$$;)0)

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: March 29th, 2020, 10:10 am Is anyone up for creating rules for a Quantum Mechanics event, I'm willing to create rules for the trial event, but I was wondering if there is any support up for making rules for it (Since I've personally made a new event), and well as submitting it as an official Science Olympiad trial. Any thoughts or considerations?
Just a clarification I meant I have never made a new event. :shock:
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by SilverBreeze »

MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: March 29th, 2020, 3:45 pm
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: March 29th, 2020, 10:10 am Is anyone up for creating rules for a Quantum Mechanics event, I'm willing to create rules for the trial event, but I was wondering if there is any support up for making rules for it (Since I've personally made a new event), and well as submitting it as an official Science Olympiad trial. Any thoughts or considerations?
Hmm, would it be feasible to trial it in the Friendly Science Competition?
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
MoMoney$$$;)0)

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

SilverBreeze wrote: March 29th, 2020, 3:50 pm
MoMoney$$$;)0) wrote: March 29th, 2020, 3:45 pm
Hmm, would it be feasible to trial it in the Friendly Science Competition?
Well for starters we need some actual rules for it to start with. If anyone wants to look into it, I started a planning phase document. Feel free to add any suggestions or more. :D
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

Booknerd
Division: B
State: IL

Post by Booknerd »

(time for a revive!)

I've been noticing that there are some plant-related trials that are appearing a lot this year (not that I have anything against it :D). The ones I'm thinking of are Botany, Home Horticulture, and Agribio.

What are people's thoughts on having three separate events that revolve around the same general topics, especially since they're all being run during the same season?
We don't talk about Pentathlon.

Return to “General Competition”