2020-2021 Trials

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
will926ok3645
Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 0

Re: 2020-2021 Trials

Post by will926ok3645 »

Booknerd wrote: January 7th, 2021, 8:56 pm (time for a revive!)

I've been noticing that there are some plant-related trials that are appearing a lot this year (not that I have anything against it :D). The ones I'm thinking of are Botany, Home Horticulture, and Agribio.

What are people's thoughts on having three separate events that revolve around the same general topics, especially since they're all being run during the same season?
As the author of AgriBio, I am excited to see that plants are getting some love in the Science Olympiad community. They are essential for so many ecological and societal needs and they are not studied extensively enough in school. As much as I'd love an easy path for AgriBio to progress to an actual event, having 'competition' from similar events allows me to see some areas where I may have overlooked as I continue to adjust the rules. I believe the national organization is looking to put a plant science event in the rotation (just a personal opinion), so having the best event be selected is better than having an event in simply because it is the only one available that fits the topic.
These users thanked the author will926ok3645 for the post:
BennyTheJett (January 11th, 2021, 11:29 am)
Boca Raton '19 UF '23
UF Science Olympiad President
[email protected]
AgriBio Author
pepperonipi
Division: C
State: FL
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pepperonipi »

will926ok3645 wrote: January 8th, 2021, 10:58 am
Booknerd wrote: January 7th, 2021, 8:56 pm (time for a revive!)

I've been noticing that there are some plant-related trials that are appearing a lot this year (not that I have anything against it :D). The ones I'm thinking of are Botany, Home Horticulture, and Agribio.

What are people's thoughts on having three separate events that revolve around the same general topics, especially since they're all being run during the same season?
As the author of AgriBio, I am excited to see that plants are getting some love in the Science Olympiad community. They are essential for so many ecological and societal needs and they are not studied extensively enough in school. As much as I'd love an easy path for AgriBio to progress to an actual event, having 'competition' from similar events allows me to see some areas where I may have overlooked as I continue to adjust the rules. I believe the national organization is looking to put a plant science event in the rotation (just a personal opinion), so having the best event be selected is better than having an event in simply because it is the only one available that fits the topic.
I agree. Having another region to expand science interest is a great thing. Plants are super cool and fun, too!! 8-)

To be fair, all three events that you mentioned are a little different. AgriBio focuses on plant biology, soil science, and agriculture, botany focuses on plants, and home horticulture focuses on these topics specifically in a home environment. I could see any of them being put into event rotation, and that may just be up to what performs best at tournaments, will allow differing study plans for large and small schools, and work well with other national events.
happy new season!

University of Florida
My Wiki Page | WikiProject SciOly and Scioly.org | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermo
2020: Detector, Orni, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2021: Detector, Orni, Circuit, WICI
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by BennyTheJett »

I would like to see a build where you have an assigned kit to build a structure and get a scoreable run within 50 minutes. Kinda like a speed build. Yes I know mystery Architecture/Design is similar, but I'm thinking more along the lines of Aerial Scramble, but less broken.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
learner2
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by learner2 »

Hey, I had some questions. Does anybody know if the events are going to be a replay again for the 2022 season next year? And are we going to incorporate these trial events as official events next year?
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

learner2 wrote: January 13th, 2021, 8:20 pm Hey, I had some questions. Does anybody know if the events are going to be a replay again for the 2022 season next year? And are we going to incorporate these trial events as official events next year?
No replay for 2022. Some trial events may be implemented.
These users thanked the author sciolyperson1 for the post:
learner2 (January 24th, 2021, 7:47 pm)
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
learner2
Been thanked: 0

Post by learner2 »

sciolyperson1 wrote: January 14th, 2021, 12:43 am
learner2 wrote: January 13th, 2021, 8:20 pm Hey, I had some questions. Does anybody know if the events are going to be a replay again for the 2022 season next year? And are we going to incorporate these trial events as official events next year?
Oh, thank you! Also, do you know which events might possibly be implemented or taken out?
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Umaroth »

learner2 wrote: January 24th, 2021, 7:47 pm
sciolyperson1 wrote: January 14th, 2021, 12:43 am
Oh, thank you! Also, do you know which events might possibly be implemented or taken out?
If the originally planned rotation for this year is followed, you can find the the original 2021 events here viewtopic.php?f=334&t=16614#p406533
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage

Return to “General Competition”