Crime Busters B

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
Post Reply
User avatar
azboy1910
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 115
Joined: November 3rd, 2018, 2:19 pm
Division: B
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 93 times
Been thanked: 38 times
Contact:

Crime Busters B

Post by azboy1910 » September 7th, 2020, 8:27 pm

Let's get this marathon started!

1. Which powder is the only one included in this event with a pH of 2?
2. How might you distinguish cornstarch from flour?
3. Which metals vigorously react with HCL?
4. Is ammonia basic, neutral, or acidic?

User avatar
azboy1910
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 115
Joined: November 3rd, 2018, 2:19 pm
Division: B
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 93 times
Been thanked: 38 times
Contact:

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by azboy1910 » January 13th, 2021, 6:09 pm

It's been like 4 months, can someone please answer? :(
Last edited by azboy1910 on January 13th, 2021, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 298
Joined: November 28th, 2019, 3:42 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 258 times

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by SilverBreeze » January 14th, 2021, 8:20 am

azboy1910 wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 8:27 pm
Let's get this marathon started!

1. Which powder is the only one included in this event with a pH of 2?
2. How might you distinguish cornstarch from flour?
3. Which metals vigorously react with HCL?
4. Is ammonia basic, neutral, or acidic?
Some more serious answers: (remember to use the spoiler!)
1. vit C
2. cornstarch is fine and white and flour is coarse and a little off-white
3. Zinc, Magnesium
4. basic

And a reminder, please don't troll/give wrong answers on purpose! It can confuse new competitors who can't tell you're trolling. (for example, do NOT taste the powders)
Last edited by SilverBreeze on January 14th, 2021, 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author SilverBreeze for the post:
gz839918 (January 14th, 2021, 8:24 am)
Troy SciOly 2019 - now
Suzanne SciOly 2016 - 2019
Events this season: Water Quality, Forensics, Ornithology, (some experience in DP)

The team may be gone, but the program lives on...

User avatar
ZachMUHS
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: November 20th, 2020, 10:35 am
Division: C
State: WI
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by ZachMUHS » January 14th, 2021, 8:31 am

SilverBreeze wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 8:20 am
azboy1910 wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 8:27 pm
Let's get this marathon started!

1. Which powder is the only one included in this event with a pH of 2?
2. How might you distinguish cornstarch from flour?
3. Which metals vigorously react with HCL?
4. Is ammonia basic, neutral, or acidic?
Some more serious answers: (remember to use the spoiler!)
1. vit C
2. cornstarch is fine and white and flour is coarse and a little off-white
3. Zinc, Magnesium
4. basic

And a reminder, please don't troll/give wrong answers on purpose! I can confuse new competitors who can't tell you're trolling. (for example, do NOT taste the powders)
Sorry, I forgot about the spoilers. I'll take my post down.

User avatar
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 298
Joined: November 28th, 2019, 3:42 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 258 times

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by SilverBreeze » January 14th, 2021, 1:48 pm

I'll put up the next set of questions since I'm going to forget:

1. What are the full names of the four DNA bases?
2. Paper-pen chromatography separates ink using what property of the ink molecules?
3. Name one way cat hair differs from dog hair.
Troy SciOly 2019 - now
Suzanne SciOly 2016 - 2019
Events this season: Water Quality, Forensics, Ornithology, (some experience in DP)

The team may be gone, but the program lives on...

User avatar
ZachMUHS
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: November 20th, 2020, 10:35 am
Division: C
State: WI
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by ZachMUHS » January 14th, 2021, 2:18 pm

SilverBreeze wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 1:48 pm
I'll put up the next set of questions since I'm going to forget:

1. What are the full names of the four DNA bases?
2. Paper-pen chromatography separates ink using what property of the ink molecules?
3. Name one way cat hair differs from dog hair.
1. adenine, cytosine, guanine, thymine
2. Polarity, also the size and how attracted the pigments are to the paper has an effect.
3. Dog hair has small ovoid bodies and cat hair has a more imbricate pattern

1. What is snell's law and what is the common refractive index of air?
2. What is the term for the study of pollen and dusts?
3. What type of finger-printing is best on paper?

User avatar
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 298
Joined: November 28th, 2019, 3:42 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 258 times

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by SilverBreeze » January 14th, 2021, 7:57 pm

ZachMUHS wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 2:18 pm
SilverBreeze wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 1:48 pm
I'll put up the next set of questions since I'm going to forget:

1. What are the full names of the four DNA bases?
2. Paper-pen chromatography separates ink using what property of the ink molecules?
3. Name one way cat hair differs from dog hair.
1. adenine, cytosine, guanine, thymine
2. Polarity, also the size and how attracted the pigments are to the paper has an effect.
3. Dog hair has small ovoid bodies and cat hair has a more imbricate pattern

1. What is snell's law and what is the common refractive index of air?
2. What is the term for the study of pollen and dusts?
3. What type of finger-printing is best on paper?
Hey, this is the Crime Busters thread, not the Forensics thread. Could you post questions within Crime Busters rules so people can get useful practice for the event? Thanks!
Troy SciOly 2019 - now
Suzanne SciOly 2016 - 2019
Events this season: Water Quality, Forensics, Ornithology, (some experience in DP)

The team may be gone, but the program lives on...

User avatar
ZachMUHS
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: November 20th, 2020, 10:35 am
Division: C
State: WI
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by ZachMUHS » January 14th, 2021, 9:25 pm

SilverBreeze wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 7:57 pm
ZachMUHS wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 2:18 pm
SilverBreeze wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 1:48 pm
I'll put up the next set of questions since I'm going to forget:

1. What are the full names of the four DNA bases?
2. Paper-pen chromatography separates ink using what property of the ink molecules?
3. Name one way cat hair differs from dog hair.
1. adenine, cytosine, guanine, thymine
2. Polarity, also the size and how attracted the pigments are to the paper has an effect.
3. Dog hair has small ovoid bodies and cat hair has a more imbricate pattern

1. What is snell's law and what is the common refractive index of air?
2. What is the term for the study of pollen and dusts?
3. What type of finger-printing is best on paper?
Hey, this is the Crime Busters thread, not the Forensics thread. Could you post questions within Crime Busters rules so people can get useful practice for the event? Thanks!
Sorry, I will ask the questions there. Sorry for the mistake.

User avatar
azboy1910
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 115
Joined: November 3rd, 2018, 2:19 pm
Division: B
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 93 times
Been thanked: 38 times
Contact:

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by azboy1910 » February 9th, 2021, 4:29 pm

Ok, here's a few questions:

1. What type of bonds exist between different water molecules?
2. Does the concentration of hydronium ions increase or decrease with pH?
3. Which layer of the hair shaft contains the pigment of a hair strand?
4. Will the color of a more polar molecule than a less polar molecule appear faster in a paper chromatography test? If so, explain why.

Post Reply

Return to “Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest