bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Digital Structures B/C [mini SO, Satellite SO]

Post by bernard »

neetivaidya wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 8:54 pm Also, can you use any other material to build your boomilever rather than the given balsas? (for example bass wood for the tension members)
No, you may only use the materials preloaded by the Science Olympiad add-on.
These users thanked the author bernard for the post:
Fyren (February 14th, 2021, 2:01 pm)
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

If you're competing in this event, make sure you're adhering to the 45 minute time limit specified in the rules (unless provided other timing instructions from your tournament). Write down the start time (which might be when you "start" a Scilympiad test or are otherwise provided the parameters by your tournament) and watch the clock or set a timer, maybe even submit it 5 minutes early. I'm seeing a lot of submissions made at the 50- or 60-minute mark, exceeding the 45-minute competition requirement (4.c.).
These users thanked the author bernard for the post (total 4):
sciolyperson1 (February 9th, 2021, 8:46 am) • Godspeed (February 9th, 2021, 1:29 pm) • sneepity (February 10th, 2021, 5:59 am) • Fyren (February 14th, 2021, 2:00 pm)
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

If you're competing in this event and are looking for resources for learning SkyCiv, please see our tutorial on the SkyCiv Wiki which also includes a list of additional resources at the bottom of the page.

If you're supervising this event, I've prepared a detailed guide on how to setup, run, and score this event using SkyCiv and the Scilympiad test-taking platform. The guide contains instructions for getting your tournament name in SkyCiv, sample text you can use for your Scilympiad test, recommendations for navigating possible issues, and more.
These users thanked the author bernard for the post (total 4):
Godspeed (February 11th, 2021, 2:13 pm) • AstroClarinet (February 11th, 2021, 3:23 pm) • sciolyperson1 (February 11th, 2021, 3:56 pm) • Fyren (February 14th, 2021, 2:00 pm)
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Additional resources have been published to the Digital Structures event page including an event diagram, a scoresheet, and links to video and written tutorials for SkyCiv.
These users thanked the author bernard for the post (total 2):
sciolyperson1 (February 12th, 2021, 9:22 am) • Fyren (February 14th, 2021, 2:00 pm)
pgupta
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by pgupta »

hello!

what's considered a good score on skyciv for digital structures? For example is getting in the 1000s considered a top score?
maxbajcz
Coach
Coach
State: MI

Post by maxbajcz »

Godspeed wrote: February 1st, 2021, 12:21 pm
maxbajcz wrote: January 31st, 2021, 2:03 pm Wondering if anyone else has been having this same issue. We have one SkyCiv account for the team to use to practice. We have just enough team members that if someone forgets and logs in from a different device, the whole team gets locked out and we have to cancel a practice. Anyone know of a work around for this or do we need to purchase another account?
Strange, me and my partner use the same skyciv account and yet there are no problems when we are on it at the same time. It has happened once though, but I'm not quite sure what caused it. I would recommend what Bernard said, though that is a pretty expensive solution.
Each account is supposed to support four devices. We've run into all sorts of issues with this. Also, our practices are on Sundays, so the day after a competition, we can't practice because the account remains in competition mode for 48 hours. It's frustrating to have to spend an additional $50 to have an extra account just for this. Alas...
xiangyu
State: MI

Post by xiangyu »

maxbajcz wrote: February 15th, 2021, 10:30 am
Also, our practices are on Sundays, so the day after a competition, we can't practice because the account remains in competition mode for 48 hours. It's frustrating to have to spend an additional $50 to have an extra account just for this. Alas...
One way to get around this is to enter competition mode earlier so that the 48 hours expire before your practice on Sunday.

Xiangyu
These users thanked the author xiangyu for the post:
maxbajcz (May 24th, 2021, 7:51 am)
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu
Godspeed
Division: C
State: CA

Post by Godspeed »

Predictions for top scores at GGSO? I predict it'll be over 7500.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Some students have asked about the Min. Load Distance, Contact Width, and Contact Depth measurements by the Science Olympiad add-on in SkyCiv. We've now clarified them in the instructions included with the add-on.
  • The "Min. Load Distance" measurement by this add-on is the distance between the Testing Wall and the node of your Area Load closest to the Testing Wall. To satisfy this requirement, this distance measured must be greater than or equal to the "minimum distance between the Testing Wall and the Loading Point closest to the Testing Wall" parameter (4.a.).
  • The "Contact Width" measurement by this add-on is the shortest distance between the vertical y-axis and the closest non-origin point of your structure on the yz-plane (i.e. Testing Wall), accounting for cross-sectional sizes. To satisfy this requirement, this distance measured must be greater than or equal to the "distance from the origin to the Contact Width Lines" parameter (4.a.).
  • The "Contact Depth" measurement by this add-on is the distance between the horizontal z-axis and the point farthest from it on the yz-plane, accounting for cross-sectional sizes. To satisfy this requirement, this distance measured must be less than or equal to 200.000 mm for Division B or 150.000 mm for Division C (3.d.i.).
These users thanked the author bernard for the post (total 2):
Godspeed (February 19th, 2021, 12:49 pm) • sciolyperson1 (February 20th, 2021, 8:56 am)
Crtomir
Division: B
State: OH

Post by Crtomir »

How are cross section sizes accounted for?

Suppose the minimum contact width set by the event supervisor is 6 cm and Div-B students put their bottom two attachment points at (0, -0.20, +0.06) and (0, -0.20, -0.06). Now suppose their cross-section sizes for the two main compression members at those two attachment points is 10 mm x 10 mm. How is the cross-section size accounted for in determining if the students design meets the minimum contact width set by the event supervisor? Is the 10 mm x 10 mm cross section centered on the two attachment points and therefore the "measured" distance between them is actually 6 cm - (1/2)(10 mm) = 6 cm - 5 mm = 5.5 cm? Would this then be a construction violation? Do construction violations show up when the students "test" their structure? How can event supervisors determine if there is a construction violation? How can the students "measure" their digital Boomilever to double-check for construction violations before "testing" it?

In SkyCiv, the members are straight lines between nodes, so how can you how the cross-section of a member sits in relation to the member line? Is it always centered, or can it be changed?
Last edited by Crtomir on February 21st, 2021, 8:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “2021 Build Events”