New York 2021

NadiaT
Division: C
State: NY

Re: New York 2021

Post by NadiaT »

Just wondering why we are using STAR instead of the scilympiad system everyone else seems to be using.

Obviously the people running the tournament know more than I do, it probably has something to do with security/privacy, but the scilympiad system seems a lot easier to use (and a lot better and preventing cheating), so I was just wondering.

Many thanks to the people working hard to make sure that we have a tournament this year!!!
Fayetteville Manlius High School
Class of 2022
20-21 Events: Disease Detectives, Water Quality
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by syo_astro »

NadiaT wrote: March 1st, 2021, 12:40 pm Just wondering why we are using STAR instead of the scilympiad system everyone else seems to be using.

Obviously the people running the tournament know more than I do, it probably has something to do with security/privacy, but the scilympiad system seems a lot easier to use (and a lot better and preventing cheating), so I was just wondering.

Many thanks to the people working hard to make sure that we have a tournament this year!!!
A good question as any (I wonder this too...)

In the last page some stuff about having an equitable system and also respecting NYS dept of Ed law came up. On some level, I agree maybe the importance isn't ease of use at all but really just the privacy issue? I haven't used either system, but my understanding so far is supervisers can't have any student info. (e.g. names, emails, etc) in hand in NYS. I'm not sure how scilympiad login or answer sheets work, but does it require any personal info at all? If so then it's as simple as that.

I guess I could bug the directors about this (I have tried about other things, I've found it a bit hard to get a hold of them recently considering...well, everything that happened with the delays probably means everyone else is bugging them too lol). I have to imagine they'd at least be aware of scilympiad, idk.
Last edited by syo_astro on March 1st, 2021, 3:54 pm, edited 8 times in total.
These users thanked the author syo_astro for the post (total 3):
sneepity (March 2nd, 2021, 4:21 am) • Name (March 2nd, 2021, 10:46 am) • NadiaT (March 12th, 2021, 6:49 am)
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Giantpants
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Giantpants »

syo_astro wrote: March 1st, 2021, 3:49 pm In the last page some stuff about having an equitable system and also respecting NYS dept of Ed law came up. On some level, I agree maybe the importance isn't ease of use at all but really just the privacy issue? I haven't used either system, but my understanding so far is supervisers can't have any student info. (e.g. names, emails, etc) in hand in NYS. I'm not sure how scilympiad login or answer sheets work, but does it require any personal info at all? If so then it's as simple as that.
I've event supervised on Scilympiad multiple times, and as far as I know, the only thing I really have access to is participant names. There is no login info, email addresses, or any information besides names that we as event supervisors can see (at least I think lol). That being said, I don't know what tournament directors have access to, but there are definitely others who can confirm that.

From what I've gathered from the timeline, I think New York announced they'd be doing STAR system before Scilympiad became so widespread and effectively the universal medium, but why they wouldn't retroactively make the switch is definitely beyond me lol :?: :?:
Last edited by Giantpants on March 4th, 2021, 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Giantpants for the post:
NadiaT (March 12th, 2021, 6:50 am)
Haverford College, Class of 2024!
Former President, Kellenberg, 2018-2020
Bro. Joseph Fox, 2014-2017

Events I'm Writing in 2023: Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals
Events I've Written in Years Past: Geologic Mapping, Remote Sensing
Giantpants's Userpage
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Giantpants wrote: March 4th, 2021, 10:30 am
syo_astro wrote: March 1st, 2021, 3:49 pm In the last page some stuff about having an equitable system and also respecting NYS dept of Ed law came up. On some level, I agree maybe the importance isn't ease of use at all but really just the privacy issue? I haven't used either system, but my understanding so far is supervisers can't have any student info. (e.g. names, emails, etc) in hand in NYS. I'm not sure how scilympiad login or answer sheets work, but does it require any personal info at all? If so then it's as simple as that.
I've event supervised on Scilympiad multiple times, and as far as I know, the only thing I really have access to is participant names. There is no login info, email addresses, or any information besides names that we as event supervisors can see (at least I think lol). That being said, I don't know what tournament directors have access to, but there are definitely others who can confirm that.

From what I've gathered from the timeline, I think New York announced they'd be doing STAR system before Scilympiad became so widespread and effectively the universal medium, but why they wouldn't retroactively make the switch is definitely beyond me lol :?: :?:
Does Scilympiad even provide event supervisors access to participant names? I only recall team numbers - if I even needed to find the team name I looked it up externally.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Adi1008
State: CA

Post by Adi1008 »

Unome wrote: March 5th, 2021, 4:27 pm
Giantpants wrote: March 4th, 2021, 10:30 am

Does Scilympiad even provide event supervisors access to participant names? I only recall team numbers - if I even needed to find the team name I looked it up externally.
It does, but only for your event.
These users thanked the author Adi1008 for the post (total 2):
Unome (March 5th, 2021, 5:48 pm) • NadiaT (March 12th, 2021, 6:50 am)
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
vye904
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by vye904 »

STAR Program Post Regs Review

I competed in div b a few days ago and wanted to mention a few things for the div c ppl and states.

Passwords:
My team's biggest problem was the password-locked test/answer sheet retrieval. I think it was a universal issue and every team I've had contact with had problems in at least a few events. When entering a password, "Too many attempts" would show up, even if the password was correct and it was your first time entering a password. I still have no idea why this happened, but some teams had no problems with it in a specific event and some teams were locked out for a while. NYSSO emailed coaches saying to "refresh, clear browser history, or restart device." None of these worked personally. I also heard that clearing cookies worked, but someone on my team mentioned it didn't do anything.

I think the issue overall may have been because of too many teams trying to get in at once, but idrk how the internet works so don't take my word for it. I found that entering 1-2 minutes early instead of the exact start (which I assume is when most teams try to get in) worked during my last event. But again, it could have been luck since I only got to try it once. Most of my team just refreshed and entered the password consistently for 5-15 minutes until it let them in. There's probably a better solution but idk.

Also, if one of our members got in while the others still couldn't we distributed pdfs to them. But mostly once one person got in everyone else could too.

Possible Solutions:
- Clear browser history
- Clear cookies
- Restart device
- Refresh
- Close and reopen tab
- Enter a little early

Extensions:
The password release times were pretty off, block 1 was released 12 minutes early and block 2 released 9 minutes late. It'll probably be better for div c now that the tourney directors know what not to do. All teams received a 10 minute extension in block 2 because of the late password release (communicated through coaches).

The director of my regional was willing to give out extensions. For one of our events, we couldn't get into the link for around 20 minutes. We requested an extension and were given one accordingly.

A few of our tests had to be emailed in through coaches because the submission links closed despite our extension. Again, a ton of coach communication was needed.

Disclaimer: I have no idea how the directors of other regionals managed extension appeals and submission problems. (For reference I competed in Eastern LI)

Browser review:
EDIT: The original editing programs I recommended before seem to have been discouraged by NYSSO? Disregard this section as they are changing the process.

DQs:
Make sure your team knows what can get them DQed. There are a ton of ways to get DQed and it's really easy to accidentally forget a step and get a DQ.

Make sure to...
- not do anything that "alters" the file
- properly put team name and number
- put initials NOT full name
- put [email protected] NOT your email

Test quality:
IMO, the tests were better than an average NY regionals test. At least for div b, most of the tests were a good length, and 2 of the 3 events I took were over 100 questions. The tests I took were slightly harder than you would expect at regionals, someone on my team even thought they were harder than the invys we went to this year. Someone on my team also mentioned one of their events disobeyed the rules manual.

Some numbers (Out of 35 partnerships):
Had password issues: 28/35
Had extension given: 12/35

Used email submission: 3/35

No password issues: 7/35

5 minute password delay: 10/35
10 minute password delay: 15/35
20 minute password delay: 3/35

Final thoughts: if things go South be prepared to have communication with both your coach and team members.

Overall chaotic experience and I hope div c regs and states go better

Overall: 3/10
Passwords: 1/10
Tests: 7/10
Refreshing google classroom to panicking teammate messages: stressful/10

Good luck at div c regs and let me know if I had any false info here. Thanks!
Last edited by vye904 on March 14th, 2021, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author vye904 for the post (total 13):
EwwPhysics (March 8th, 2021, 6:35 am) • Giantpants (March 8th, 2021, 6:55 am) • sciolyperson1 (March 8th, 2021, 6:55 am) • Name (March 8th, 2021, 7:04 am) • legitimately (March 8th, 2021, 7:04 am) • lumosityfan (March 8th, 2021, 9:20 am) • pb5754 (March 8th, 2021, 11:06 am) • scispork (March 8th, 2021, 12:45 pm) • Adi1008 (March 8th, 2021, 12:46 pm) • thegroundsloth (March 9th, 2021, 5:20 am) and 3 more users
scispork

Post by scispork »

vye904 wrote: March 8th, 2021, 5:29 am STAR Program Post Regs Review

I competed in div b a few days ago and wanted to mention a few things for the div c ppl and states.

Passwords:
My team's biggest problem was the password-locked test/answer sheet retrieval. I think it was a universal issue and every team I've had contact with had problems in at least a few events. When entering a password, "Too many attempts" would show up, even if the password was correct and it was your first time entering a password. I still have no idea why this happened, but some teams had no problems with it in a specific event and some teams were locked out for a while. NYSSO emailed coaches saying to "refresh, clear browser history, or restart device." None of these worked personally. I also heard that clearing cookies worked, but someone on my team mentioned it didn't do anything.

I think the issue overall may have been because of too many teams trying to get in at once, but idrk how the internet works so don't take my word for it. I found that entering 1-2 minutes early instead of the exact start (which I assume is when most teams try to get in) worked during my last event. But again, it could have been luck since I only got to try it once. Most of my team just refreshed and entered the password consistently for 5-15 minutes until it let them in. There's probably a better solution but idk.

Also, if one of our members got in while the others still couldn't we distributed pdfs to them. But mostly once one person got in everyone else could too.

Possible Solutions:
- Clear browser history
- Clear cookies
- Restart device
- Refresh
- Close and reopen tab
- Enter a little early

Extensions:
The password release times were pretty off, block 1 was released 12 minutes early and block 2 released 9 minutes late. It'll probably be better for div c now that the tourney directors know what not to do. All teams received a 10 minute extension in block 2 because of the late password release (communicated through coaches).

The director of my regional was willing to give out extensions. For one of our events, we couldn't get into the link for around 20 minutes. We requested an extension and were given one accordingly.

A few of our tests had to be emailed in through coaches because the submission links closed despite our extension. Again, a ton of coach communication was needed.

Disclaimer: I have no idea how the directors of other regionals managed extension appeals and submission problems. (For reference I competed in Eastern LI)

Browser review:
For Macs:
I think either Preview or Edge is the way to go. Preview allows you to save periodically and you only end up with 1 file, so no submission confusion. Edge also allows you to save periodically. I personally don't use it so I don't know how it works. Chrome is doable, but you can't save periodically and have to redownload the edited file at the end. If you crash you lose all answers and it also results in 2 files (one blank one edited). If you use Chrome remember to download with edits before closing the tab and submit the right file. I don't think Safari has a pdf editor, so it redirects you to Preview (Correct me if I'm wrong). IMO, Preview is the best for macs since it's the simplest. (Unless you already use Edge as your default browser)

For Windows:
The same things apply to Edge and Chrome. Edge > Chrome. If you use Chrome watch out for the stuff I mentioned above.

Side note: I sent my edited pdf to my partner for them to download and confirm my answers saved before I submitted. This is a good idea if you're paranoid you didn't save properly or just want to check.

DQs:
Make sure your team knows what can get them DQed. There are a ton of ways to get DQed and it's really easy to accidentally forget a step and get a DQ.

Make sure to...
- not do anything that "alters" the file
- properly put team name and number
- put initials NOT full name
- put [email protected] NOT your email

Test quality:
IMO, the tests were better than an average NY regionals test. At least for div b, most of the tests were a good length, and 2 of the 3 events I took were over 100 questions. The tests I took were slightly harder than you would expect at regionals, someone on my team even thought they were harder than the invys we went to this year. Someone on my team also mentioned one of their events disobeyed the rules manual.

Some numbers (Out of 35 partnerships):
Had password issues: 28/35
Had extension given: 12/35

Used email submission: 3/35

No password issues: 7/35

5 minute password delay: 10/35
10 minute password delay: 15/35
20 minute password delay: 3/35

Final thoughts: if things go South be prepared to have communication with both your coach and team members.

Overall chaotic experience and I hope div c regs and states go better

Overall: 3/10
Passwords: 1/10
Tests: 7/10
Refreshing google classroom to panicking teammate messages: stressful/10

Good luck at div c regs and let me know if I had any false info here. Thanks!
It's almost like dropbox wasn't designed for something like this...

If only there was another site that was specifically made for Science Olympiad competitions. That would make things a lot easier WOULDN'T IT. :|

Nevertheless, it is nice to hear that some tests were of higher quality than expected. Hopefully the struggles teams had were consistent within their regions as to not cause huge disparities in what the results would've been if the competitions had gone off without a hitch. Good luck to all Division B teams, and may your results reflect all the hard work you put into this strange season.
Last edited by scispork on March 9th, 2021, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2021 NYS Results
2022 NYS Results - 2022 Needed: Regional Adirondack, Regional Lower Hudson, Regional Southern Tier
2023 NYS Results - 2023 Needed: Regional Lower Hudson
snowyowl

Post by snowyowl »

Western Long Island Regional Tournament results: Division B:

School Name: Team (score); bolded teams qualified for the New York State Tournament

1. Great Neck South: A (50)
2. South Woods: A (53)
3. SAIL (82)
4. Wisdom Lane: A (136)
5. C.P. Weber: A (138)
6. Great Neck South: B (140)
7. Manhasset: B (152)
8. Brother Fox: A (179)
9. Manhasset: A (181)
10. Manhasset: C (182)
11. South Woods: B (184)
12. Hicksville: A (188)
etc. etc.

Congratulations to all teams who competed, and good luck to those who qualified for the State Tournament, which will be held on Saturday, April 17, 2021!
Last edited by snowyowl on March 15th, 2021, 2:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author snowyowl for the post (total 2):
shadow19 (March 11th, 2021, 8:30 pm) • scispork (March 12th, 2021, 9:09 pm)
Syosset High School '24
2023 Events: Dynamic Planet, Forestry, Rocks and Minerals
shadow19

Post by shadow19 »

Congrats to everyone who qualified!
Quick thoughts: lenient grading??? no dq's for kami/google docs, as stated by west nassau director.
NadiaT

Post by NadiaT »

I've heard conflicting reports on whether or not Kami is allowed - does anyone know for sure?

And if Kami isn't allowed, how should we take tests with our partners, considering that most of us can't get together but only one person can submit the test (so only one person can write)?

Many thanks!
Fayetteville Manlius High School
Class of 2022
20-21 Events: Disease Detectives, Water Quality

Return to “2021 Regionals & States”