Meteorology(climate)

SSANationalTeam1
Division: B
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology(climate)

Post by SSANationalTeam1 » April 15th, 2009, 5:54 pm

but most of them didn't put much of the Koppen on the tests ;)

mg

Post by mg » April 15th, 2009, 6:32 pm

For my state test there was some severe storms questions, so any weather questions could be put in. I didn't have any weather vs climate questions though but every state is diffrent :D

chill

Post by chill » April 15th, 2009, 6:34 pm

I went to the New Caney invitational (if you went there you'll know what I'm talking about) and everything on that test was about severe wether such as storms, tornadoes and hurricanes. Will we have to know any of that for state?

robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by robotman » April 15th, 2009, 6:40 pm

chill your from texas what team?? sry that this is off topic
and yea new caneys test was last years nats test i think
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]

pjgscioisamazing
State: NY

Post by pjgscioisamazing » April 15th, 2009, 8:14 pm

Can anyone help me with the evolution of the atmosphere. I know that there are/were 3 stages- early earth, middle, and present. I wasn't able to find anything that good online. My states is this weekend and I need help on the atmospheric evolution :shock:
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building

soobsession
Division: C

Post by soobsession » April 16th, 2009, 1:09 pm

pjgscioisamazing wrote:Can anyone help me with the evolution of the atmosphere. I know that there are/were 3 stages- early earth, middle, and present. I wasn't able to find anything that good online. My states is this weekend and I need help on the atmospheric evolution :shock:
according to wikipedia (the real one), the original atmosphere ("first atmosphere") was made of mainly helium and nitrogen. heat from the not-quite-cooled-down crust and heat from the sun, and solar wind dissipated that atmosphere.

4.4 billion years ago, when the crust cooled, volcanoes released, steam, ammonia, and CO2 into the atmosphere. ("second atmosphere") it was mainly co2, water vapor, nitrogen, and basically no oxygen. when it cooled, a lot of the co2 went into the ocean. later, it was just mainly co2 and nitrogen. however, some studies do say that it was 40% hydrogen. i was not part of that study so idk. there was a lot of greenhouse gases so it is believed that was what kept the earth from freezing.

about 3.3 billion years ago, cyanobacteria were the first phototrophic organisms (!). that is how oxygen came to earth and the planet came from an anoxic to oxic state (lack of oxygen to not-quite-so lack of oxygen state) about 2.7-2.2 billion years ago. then came photosynthesizing plants and yada yada, earth became an oxygen rich (more or less) planet.

just search "atmosphere" on wikipedia (the free encyclopedia!) :D

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

soobsession

Post by soobsession » April 16th, 2009, 2:38 pm

oh yeah, my test had KCC...it was kinda weird...i mean, i studied that intensively and stuff but they werent the questions i were expecting about it.... :|

i would encourage studying everything inside AND outside the rules... ;)

pjgscioisamazing
State: NY

Post by pjgscioisamazing » April 16th, 2009, 2:40 pm

soobsession wrote:oh yeah, my test had KCC...it was kinda weird...i mean, i studied that intensively and stuff but they werent the questions i were expecting about it.... :|

i would encourage studying everything inside AND outside the rules... ;)
What questions did they ask about Koppen then??
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building

soobsession

Post by soobsession » April 16th, 2009, 2:47 pm

lols...it was a chart that was like with three columns. one was "group" (a, b, c, d, e) i obviously knew those. then it was "clothing" then like "homes" or something. basically if you lived in that group, what clothing would you where and what type of house would you live in. my partner gave it to me since i was the one who studied KCC extensively. i showed her exactly what they were looking for and she was like "what the @#$%!" :lol: for group e (polar) we put they lived in igloos :D

Fuzzy Mint
State: WA

Post by Fuzzy Mint » April 17th, 2009, 7:32 pm

yeah, we had something like that for koppen too. :roll: and we only had a really small map of koppen with no details, so we kinda failed that section.
states tommorrow! anyway, thanks everyone for so much help! :D

Return to “2009 Study Events”