Does anyone know the score of champion of Boomi div B?

Mars2022
Division: B
State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0

Does anyone know the score of champion of Boomi div B?

Post by Mars2022 »

People were predicting the champion will be over 2500, did they make it?
mklinger

Re: Does anyone know the score of champion of Boomi div B?

Post by mklinger »

I think I heard it was over 2900, but I'm not certain about that.

I helped coach the team that got second place Div B this year (Slauson) and their score was 2491. We didn't have a lot of time to optimize the build. Most of my work over the past 2 years of boomi was with the Pioneer High School Division C team. That team placed 3rd Nationally with a 2217 score. Again, we didn't have much time to build and optimize this year due to COVID. The actual boomi we wound up using was a candidate we had for the State competition last year and was built on Jan 25th, 2020!! We did re-test it of course, but our several newer builds were good, actually right around 2300, they didn't survive our pre-testing routine to guarantee a 15kg competition day.

Our team best ever, not in a competition, for Div C boomi with this year's rules was 2587.

I think a 3000+ Div B boomi would definitely be possible with the proper focus, maybe even 3100+ if you took the risk of only holding 15 kg once and not pre-testing it.

BTW, my daughter is now graduating from Science Olympiad, so my plan to give back to the larger community is to create a YouTube channel that specializes in the structural balsa events. Over the past 6+ years, I have helped teams build nationally competitive bridges, towers, and now boomis.

I'm about ready to post my intro video on my channel. Right now there are just a couple high speed camera things I've been playing around with, but over the summer, I'll get more into of the specifics of how our teams were able to build these devices.

I'm not sure if I can post a YouTube link here, but just search for "Balsa Engineering" on YT and subscribe if that is something of interest to you.
These users thanked the author mklinger for the post (total 3):
Adi1008 (May 26th, 2021, 2:06 pm) • lumosityfan (May 27th, 2021, 7:41 am) • EwwPhysics (May 28th, 2021, 6:56 am)
mklinger

Post by mklinger »

Here is a link to my Balsa Engineering intro video if anyone is interested in checking it out: https://youtu.be/-r0UY3RrfCA

If you have any specific questions or ideas for the channel, don't hesitate to reach out.

Thanks!!

Marc
Last edited by mklinger on May 29th, 2021, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mars2022
Division: B
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0

Post by Mars2022 »

Nice Youtube channel. How do you do pre-testing? use 60% load?
mklinger

Post by mklinger »

Mars2022 wrote: May 29th, 2021, 8:53 pm Nice Youtube channel. How do you do pre-testing? use 60% load?
Thanks! I'll eventually explain all of that in a lot of detail, but in general, we try to work our way up to about 75-80% multiple times. BUT, this year's boomi rules had such a big bonus for holding 15kg, it was critical that the device held the full load, so we pre-tested to the full load. This means the devices were overdesigned a bit, but it was really important not to fail at 14.5kg!
BTW, our 3rd place National boomi in 2019 held 14.75kg. That was almost a perfect result for that year but would have been a disaster this year!

TLDR; pre-loading depends on the rules and how many devices you have to work with.

Return to “2021 Nationals”