Rule 5 (II) c

knightmoves

Rule 5 (II) c

Post by knightmoves »

Teams may ask the supervisor to confirm if the antenna has "established a connection". When answering this question, will (should) the supervisor use the definition of "connection" from 5 (II) f (received power equal to or higher than the threshold measured 3.0m from the reference monopole antenna)?
alkotz
Division: C
State: MN
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rule 5 (II) c

Post by alkotz »

I am new to the event (but experienced in the field). I was about to say yes based on rule 6e, but then realized there is a distinction in the vocabulary between connection to the transmitter 5(II)c and connection to the receiver 5(II)f and 6e refers to the latter. So at a second look, it seems that the supervisor's yes or no answer is simply a statement of whether any signal is observed at the receiver at all and does not indicate that they will be able to increase their test distance on the next measurement (that determination would need to be made by averaging over 10 seconds and with the participants 5 ft away as per 5(II)f.

Assuming this was the intention of the rules and without an official clarification, I would say that a yes indicates little more than that their SMA connector has mated to the system and the supervisor can see some sign that the antenna is connected. I will be interested to see if anyone has a different answer on this.

Return to “WiFi Lab C”