bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Food Science B

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
rrwalters13
Division: B
State: NM
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Food Science B

Post by rrwalters13 »

I found the wiki page on FS. It has a bit more info there than the event description. How accurate is the wiki page?
SarcasmQueen
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by SarcasmQueen »

rrwalters13 wrote: October 17th, 2021, 12:27 pm I found the wiki page on FS. It has a bit more info there than the event description. How accurate is the wiki page?
The wiki page has information from previous years as well, that may not be completely relevant to this year. This year's topics can be found here:
https://www.soinc.org/2022-rules-b

Just find Food Science, and whatever the wiki page has on the topics for this year, you can refer to. However, not all of the topics covered this year are on the wiki page, so you'll have to scour the internet a bit.
Hope that helps! :)
Last edited by gz839918 on February 5th, 2022, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: replaced link to the rules with link to the questionnaire for obtaining the rules
SarcasmQueen

Nutrition Labeling Help

Post by SarcasmQueen »

Hi,
It's my 2nd year of doing FS, although it's my first year doing Nutrition Labeling (My old partner did it last year) I'm having trouble with the math. ie. Calorie percentages and whatnot. Also, I'm having a lot of trouble on exactly what I'm supposed to be researching for this topic. Can someone help me with some basic things to know about the math, what I should be researching, what this topic entails, and provide me a few resources to help me get started? (I already looked at the wiki page, it's pretty much useless. Also, I've looked through old Invitational Papers, but that makes it even more confusing.)
Thanks SO much :) *Virtually hugs you
SarcasmQueen
tigerjade003
State: CA

Re: Nutrition Labeling Help

Post by tigerjade003 »

Based on what I did in calculating food labels last year, competitions normally do 9 kilocalories per gram of fat, 4 kilocalories per gram of carbohydrate and 4 kilocalories per gram of protein. These are approximated values, which is why your calculations will normally be a few calories off the one on food labels. If the amounts are different, usually the tournament will tell you.
So Fat: 9*grams of fat
So Carbs: 4*grams of carbs
So Proteins: 4*grams of Protein
Usually tests will ask you to calculate the total value of the food label, just add those three up.
Last edited by tigerjade003 on November 4th, 2021, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RileyStreetMS
State: MI

Post by RileyStreetMS »

Hi All,

Quick question, what does "calibration data must be included on the 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper" mean? I'm not sure what calibration data there is on something that isn't a probe which needs to be recalibrated regularly.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

RileyStreetMS wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 3:56 pm Hi All,

Quick question, what does "calibration data must be included on the 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper" mean? I'm not sure what calibration data there is on something that isn't a probe which needs to be recalibrated regularly.
You have to build a hydrometer. If you require a calibration table to convert your hydrometer reading to a sugar concentration, that table has to be included on the sheet of letter paper - it can't be a separate sheet of paper. If you've made your hydrometer with markings to indicate sugar concentration directly, you don't need a separate calibration table, so there's nothing to bring.

It's just telling you that you can't bring some other bit of paper and claim that it's part of your hydrometer.
FS-22
State: MI

Post by FS-22 »

Hello all !

Can anyone help/guide me with Hydrometer ?

My Hydrometer rises almost the same amount for all the sugar solutions ( 1 to 10%). Is the difference between each concentration suppossed to be so minute ? Is anyone else seeing the same thing ?

I was told that salt concentrations from previous years were not that minute and students were able to mark the readings quite distinctively on their Salinometer. Upon researching I do understand that salt is denser than sugar.

What am I missing ?
Pandabear19
State: IL

Post by Pandabear19 »

FS-22 wrote: December 29th, 2021, 3:54 pm Hello all !

Can anyone help/guide me with Hydrometer ?

My Hydrometer rises almost the same amount for all the sugar solutions ( 1 to 10%). Is the difference between each concentration suppossed to be so minute ? Is anyone else seeing the same thing ?

I was told that salt concentrations from previous years were not that minute and students were able to mark the readings quite distinctively on their Salinometer. Upon researching I do understand that salt is denser than sugar.

What am I missing ?
Hello!
I had the same issue, I solved it by switching the material I put inside my hydrometer to weigh it down. I constructed my hydrometer from a pipette with the top cut off. I weighed it down with bb pellets first which didn't work very well. I switched to a kneadable eraser which was lighter and compacted it at the bottom of the pipette. I was able to get like a 1 cm difference between 1 and 10 percent. When calibrating, I put the lines on different *sides of the pipette so they weren't so cluttered. Hope this helps!
Food Science Enjoyer
Thomas Middle School 22'
Adlai E. Stevenson High School 26'
EllaYu
State: NY

Post by EllaYu »

For hydrometer are there specific materials we have to use in order to make it or can it be made out of anything as long as it works?

Return to “2022 Lab Events”