bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Rocks & Minerals B/C

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
flyingrocks
Has thanked: 0

Re: Rocks & Minerals B/C

Post by flyingrocks »

Do most teams and tournaments use real samples to study and compete or do you use photos? My school doesn't really have any samples so we are trying to figure out if we need to get some.
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

flyingrocks wrote: October 4th, 2021, 5:30 pm Do most teams and tournaments use real samples to study and compete or do you use photos? My school doesn't really have any samples so we are trying to figure out if we need to get some.
Apologies for not responding to this faster. When I competed, my high school had a kit for me to learn what the properties of the minerals were. I think this helped me get a lot better with ID that I would've been otherwise. That said, I know teams that didn't have physical samples and also did well, so it's not necessarily creating a massive advantage.

Most of the tournaments I did when it was in person had physical samples, and any in person event I'd write would have physical samples (because image ID for minerals can be very random). That said, there's a lot of online tournaments this year that do not have much for choice, and thus will use images.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
cryo
Division: C
State: CA

Post by cryo »

I don't think my school has physical samples, but I have my own kit and it's just nice to have. It's obviously not necessary, but it's interesting to get a feel for each mineral and see everything firsthand, especially with properties like texture that you just can't get through images. I don't have much experience with scioly specifically, but it might be worth getting a kit with physical samples because there's so much more you can see and test with your own samples. (I also just don't really like photo ID - it's a lot more fun to play around with actual rocks/minerals instead of squinting at your screen to figure out what something is.)
These users thanked the author cryo for the post:
LilithAkam (October 15th, 2021, 3:00 pm)
foothill scioly president ('24)
ieso '21 & useso volunteer
my DMs are open! discord: cryo#3499

cryo's Userpage
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

I'm writing a test for this season, and was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the rules? Personally, it seems like the rules make the event entirely identification based, which is rather annoying. I wish they'd test more geological skills because that's more applicable in the "real world".

cryo

Post by cryo »

I'm also not really happy to see that, but I guess it is intended to be an ID event? There's definitely some room for applications to geology, as the sample questions show, but those are basically just making you identify the samples then use what you know about them. It looks like there's not a lot of room for skill/understanding-based questions because all the content seems more about memorization and knowledge instead of applying that knowledge. I'd love tests based more on those geological skills so I'm hoping some test writers manage to include that.
foothill scioly president ('24)
ieso '21 & useso volunteer
my DMs are open! discord: cryo#3499

cryo's Userpage
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

cryo wrote: October 20th, 2021, 4:57 pmbasically just making you identify the samples then use what you know about them
This framework can be applied to prepare for many more events than just those that are commonly listed as ID events. That said, I don't think I'd call the rules particularly more ID-based than in the past, or compared to Fossils. Certainly the Bio ID rotation is much more ID-oriented.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
DragonTownEpic

Post by DragonTownEpic »

I guess we'll just have to mine-roll with it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I CAN DAB AT COMPETITIONS AGAIN :x :x :x
uhc2900
Division: B
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by uhc2900 »

Hello, in the event rules, what does Scioly imply when saying "Relationship between textures and enviornment of formation"? Could you please provide an example?

Thanks
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

uhc2900 wrote: December 12th, 2021, 9:58 am Hello, in the event rules, what does Scioly imply when saying "Relationship between textures and enviornment of formation"? Could you please provide an example?

Thanks
Intrusive igneous rocks having a coarse texture, obsidian having a glassy texture.

Return to “2022 Study Events”