Discussion of the education system

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
aakoala
Division: C
State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Discussion of the education system

Post by aakoala »

I have a few assertations that I have thought about education. I won't say if I agree or disagree with the assertations that I will make, but I would love to hear responses and discussions from other people in this community!

1. The fact that there is a business market surrounding the passing of a standardized test is representative of a flawed education system. (for example, the SAT in the United States, the Gaokao in China, JEE in India)

2. Standardized testing should be abolished.

3. Race, gender, and other individual, uncontrollable traits, should not be asked for on college admissions. (for example, your race should not be asked for if/when you apply to a college)
These users thanked the author aakoala for the post:
Jehosaphat (November 9th, 2021, 5:44 am)
Userpage
22-23 Events:
Cell Biology
Dynamic Planet
Forensics
Remote Sensing
Jehosaphat
Division: Grad

Re: Discussion of the education system

Post by Jehosaphat »

I completely agree that our education system, especially in America is in desperate need of reform. However, I do disagree with your opinion on standardized testing. I think that standardized testing has a vital role in the higher education system, allowing everyone to have a level playing field in order to prove their talents no matter their background.

But I also do agree that the entire industry around passing these tests is absurd. I think the tests are necessary in the current system, but people that play the game of becoming a good test taker rather than learning the material is the biggest problem today.

My opinion is that we reform the American school system into what I call "megadistricts", with several neighborhoods and towns pooling resources to form more specialized schools. It is outrageous that students in STEM, business, and the arts all have to share resources, which limits opportunities for all. Having separate schools would allow greater depth and allow students to more fully pursue their passions. I'm not advocating for removing all art classes from your business school, but you don't need an art 5 class at a school where everyone is trying to become a CEO.
Waiting for the return of Ecology all by myself
HHS '22
Hope '26
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Jehosaphat wrote: November 9th, 2021, 5:42 am Having separate schools would allow greater depth and allow students to more fully pursue their passions. I'm not advocating for removing all art classes from your business school, but you don't need an art 5 class at a school where everyone is trying to become a CEO.
What do you do with the large number of kids who haven't figured out what they want to do in life aged 13?

How long are you proposing that kids travel to attend your megadistrict schools? How long do you think it takes for a school bus to make that journey? This seems to be an idea that only works in densely populated cities. Even in suburbia, you're going to have long bus rides for your megadistrict idea - what do you think your proposal does to rural districts?

The biggest disservice you can do to a kid who wants to study (for example) art is to put them in a class with a bunch of kids who are just taking the class for an easy pass, because they want to play on their school's basketball team and need to have enough passing grades.
These users thanked the author knightmoves for the post:
Jehosaphat (November 19th, 2021, 10:01 am)
Jehosaphat
Division: Grad

Post by Jehosaphat »

knightmoves wrote: November 15th, 2021, 6:08 am What do you do with the large number of kids who haven't figured out what they want to do in life aged 13?

How long are you proposing that kids travel to attend your megadistrict schools? How long do you think it takes for a school bus to make that journey? This seems to be an idea that only works in densely populated cities. Even in suburbia, you're going to have long bus rides for your megadistrict idea - what do you think your proposal does to rural districts?
I don't think that all public schools should specialize, as you said not everyone knows what they want to do. But having better schools that better fit your passions will benefit every student who takes part in that system. General education standards will still exist, but lowered to a point where kids will be able to get a feel for whether they enjoy a subject or not, and whether or not they wish to continue in that field.

The idea of districts is the entire thing I am trying to change here. Geographic limits will exist, yes, in rural areas. But why shouldn't the best and brightest be able to attend the best schools, simply because of an arbitrary line drawn in the sand?
knightmoves wrote: November 15th, 2021, 6:08 am The biggest disservice you can do to a kid who wants to study (for example) art is to put them in a class with a bunch of kids who are just taking the class for an easy pass, because they want to play on their school's basketball team and need to have enough passing grades.
That is the exact reasoning behind the school specialization. Kids that want to study science or art can do so without having the soon to be dropouts interfering with their classes.

Expanding the scope of public schooling is what I am advocating for. The mission of schools at the moment is to get kids to memorize a few things and then put them into the workforce. Let's educate kids in what they want to learn, not what some old man in Congress wants them to learn so they can work at a factory.
Waiting for the return of Ecology all by myself
HHS '22
Hope '26

Return to “General Chat”