Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Trajectory B/C

Post by cypressfalls Robert »

we use rubberbands and use new ones everytime we test...so maybe you should buy some extra to test with(if it's not that expensive), or keep some tubing seperate for far targets and some for short.
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

Sunshine wrote:Is there a way to keep the surgical tubing from stretching out too much? With my trajectory machine, I started by testing the 2 meters, and moved on until I reached 8. Then I took a few shots at the closer targets again just to make sure the data was correct and so I could test a few raised targets, but turns out, all the data pretty much went to waste because the surgical tubing stretched out while testing the 7 and 8 meters.

My partner and I decided to not test it in such long stretches to give the tubing some time to unstretch (not sure if that's a word), but I'm still worried that the surgical tubing'll still stretch out... so, help please?
What is the wall thickness of the stuff you used, did you test it out in the sun and what color is the tubing?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Sunshine
Division: C

Post by Sunshine »

Using different ones each time is a nice idea, except surgical tubing costs about 15 dollars just for about 2 meters of it, and getting the surgical tubing in and out of the machine's really hard and takes forever, so I'm not sure if that's going to be very cost or time efficient.

wall thickness... about 1 or 1.5 mm. It's yellowish, like the surgical tubing you always see doctors use when they give shots, and we tested indoors, so no sun. We also applied some protection thing on it to protect it from the sun and cracks and stuff.
Hi. I have a messed up sleep cycle. Thank you, scioly.
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

Sunshine wrote:Using different ones each time is a nice idea, except surgical tubing costs about 15 dollars just for about 2 meters of it, and getting the surgical tubing in and out of the machine's really hard and takes forever, so I'm not sure if that's going to be very cost or time efficient.

wall thickness... about 1 or 1.5 mm. It's yellowish, like the surgical tubing you always see doctors use when they give shots, and we tested indoors, so no sun. We also applied some protection thing on it to protect it from the sun and cracks and stuff.
I don't know if you have the time but I might move up to exercise tubing/resistance tubing, it's made to be stretched and come back to shape. That would require completely retesting the device though, I don't know if you have the time. If you don't just get a new piece, put it in and leave it till comp, that's the best you can do.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Thanks, I'll see what I can do with it and hope for the best. Seeing as comp's only about a week and a half away for me though, probably best to just leave it and mess around afterwards.
Hi. I have a messed up sleep cycle. Thank you, scioly.
prometheus
Division: B

Post by prometheus »

BEFORE YOU POST YOU SHOULD ALL KNOW THAT BY GIVING ANY TYPE OF ADVICE YOU ARE HELPING YOUR COMPETITION :D
Helix_Nebula_Freak
State: PA

Post by Helix_Nebula_Freak »

IN THE SPIRT OF GOOD COMPETITION KEEP POSTING!!!!
2010 Events: Shock Value: 1st in Region, 2nd in State Experimental Design: 2nd in State Pentatholon: 3rd in State Solar System: 2nd in Region

“The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, it is conformity.” ~Rollo May
lsr1991

Post by lsr1991 »

What points did you get in the competition Trajectory C . My best score is 34points (3.4cm off) totally.
boomtech
State: CA

Post by boomtech »

How are scores faring?
Former Div B, C competitor; current Div B, C Event Supervisor
boomtech
State: CA

Post by boomtech »

prometheus wrote:BEFORE YOU POST YOU SHOULD ALL KNOW THAT BY GIVING ANY TYPE OF ADVICE YOU ARE HELPING YOUR COMPETITION :D
What's wrong with competition that's a little stronger? That makes things more fun, especially at nationals. :mrgreen:
Former Div B, C competitor; current Div B, C Event Supervisor

Return to “2009 Build Events”