bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Environmental Chemistry C

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
royT
Division: B
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Re: Environmental Chemistry C

Post by royT »

Hello all,
Can anyone suggest useful resources for this event - besides the clean water act and wastewater operators certification manual?
The scioly page for this event seems out of date and provides info on soil, which may have been for a past event.

In particular, what is meant by a 'standardized curve' and 'serial dilution'?

Thanks
SirOphion
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0

Post by SirOphion »

royT wrote: October 16th, 2021, 5:15 pm Hello all,
Can anyone suggest useful resources for this event - besides the clean water act and wastewater operators certification manual?
The scioly page for this event seems out of date and provides info on soil, which may have been for a past event.

Thanks
A standardized curve is used to determine the concentration of an unknown sample via something that is easier to observe; a common example would be using absorbance to find concentration. If we used the example of absorbance, you would generate one by taking a bunch of samples of known concentration and finding the absorbance at each concentration and plotting them on a scatterplot. Then with enough data, you would create a best fit curve which could be used to interpolate unknown concentration values at different absorbances.

A serial dilution is basically a stepwise dilution. For example, if you had an aqueous solution with concentration M, and you took half of it and put it in a new test tube and then made the other half water, the new concentration would be 0.5M. If you did it again by putting half of the 0.5M solution into a new test tube and then filling with water, you would get a solution of 0.25M. Basically this a way of significantly diluting something. Also, you can do other values besides a factor of 2.

Personally, I don't really know what to study for the more environmental parts of the event. Does anyone have any suggestions of where I could look?
These users thanked the author SirOphion for the post:
royT (November 7th, 2021, 5:06 pm)
arqto
State: NY

Post by arqto »

royT wrote: October 16th, 2021, 5:15 pm Hello all,

Thanks
I feel like there isn't a particularly strong consensus of what resources fit this event well, but one book that I've found to be highly informative and containing quite a bit of relevant knowledge to this year's topic is Applications of Environmental Aquatic Chemistry: A Practical Guide by Eugene Weiner. (ISBN: 9781439853320). Hope this helps!
Last edited by arqto on November 4th, 2021, 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author arqto for the post:
royT (November 7th, 2021, 5:06 pm)
Clements '20, Columbia '24
arqto's Userpage
royT
Division: B

Post by royT »

Thanks for your replies. It's not very clear to me exactly what to study for this and what the lab portion might look like. I haven't been able to find a copy of the 1977 Clean Water Act either.
foolsgrain
State: OH
Pronouns: They/Them/Theirs

Re: Environmental Chemistry C (CWAs and Mannual)

Post by foolsgrain »

Hello! I think I have been able to find the 1977 CWA (https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/files ... 08full.pdf), but I personally cannot find the the others. If anyone is willing to help me out that would be cool! Good luck to anyone competing soon!
kman1234t

Post by kman1234t »

foolsgrain wrote: November 30th, 2021, 2:45 pm Hello! I think I have been able to find the 1977 CWA (https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/files ... 08full.pdf), but I personally cannot find the the others. If anyone is willing to help me out that would be cool! Good luck to anyone competing soon!
Here's the 59 page doc soinc mentioned
https://cfpub.epa.gov/watertrain/pdf/mo ... otocwa.pdf
These users thanked the author kman1234t for the post:
foolsgrain (December 10th, 2021, 7:30 am)
foolsgrain
State: OH
Pronouns: They/Them/Theirs

Post by foolsgrain »

foolsgrain wrote: November 30th, 2021, 2:45 pm Hello! I think I have been able to find the 1977 CWA (https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/files ... 08full.pdf), but I personally cannot find the the others. If anyone is willing to help me out that would be cool! Good luck to anyone competing soon!
I just found the waste management March 2018 version (https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... manual.pdf) incase anyone else is still struggling to find it !!! thank you guys for your help.
solanap
State: MI
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by solanap »

royT wrote: November 7th, 2021, 5:10 pm Thanks for your replies. It's not very clear to me exactly what to study for this and what the lab portion might look like. I haven't been able to find a copy of the 1977 Clean Water Act either.

I'm also not certain on the lab portion of the test. Do we have to determine the type of analyte or the concentration of a given analyte? I was thinking it we'd have to run a colorimetry test, but this doesn't seem correct. If anyone has any tips, I'd love to know!
bernardorojas23
State: MI

Post by bernardorojas23 »

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to study for this event?

Return to “2022 Lab Events”