Felt rule clarifications

ChaseX
Division: B
State: WI
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0

Felt rule clarifications

Post by ChaseX »

In the rules, it states that you can cover the base in a smooth felt. Does this mean that the base must be all felt or not, or does it mean the base can have patches of felt when necessary?
These users thanked the author ChaseX for the post:
drcubbin (April 18th, 2022, 12:16 pm)
knightmoves

Re: Felt rule clarifications

Post by knightmoves »

ChaseX wrote: November 29th, 2021, 6:20 pm In the rules, it states that you can cover the base in a smooth felt. Does this mean that the base must be all felt or not, or does it mean the base can have patches of felt when necessary?
As usual, nothing you read here is an official clarification. soinc.org is the place to go for those.

My opinion would be that "smooth felt" includes an implication that you can't use the edges of a felt piece as any kind of guide or barrier for the marble. If you have a bit of felt covering part of your base, and the marble never leaves the felt, I'd call that OK.

But personally, this isn't something I'd risk an ES having a different opinion on - I'd just cover the whole base in felt.
These users thanked the author knightmoves for the post:
torqueburner
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Felt rule clarifications

Post by torqueburner »

You could ask your event supervisor about this. We did, and in PA there is a state-wide FAQ that states that either the entire surface may be covered, or none of it. I think this interpretation came from the national SO folks, so you may want to be cautious.

D. M. Drummer
Kutztown, PA
These users thanked the author torqueburner for the post:

Return to “Mission Possible B”