Trajectory C

maxbajcz
Coach
Coach
State: MI

Re: Trajectory C

Post by maxbajcz »

This is some (really poor quality cell phone) video of the Air Trajectory variant of this event from 2016. This is what I'd expect the targets to look like for this year. These guys took first place at the Michigan State Tournament and the team just missed a bid to Nationals. ~4cm off at 2 meters, hit the pin at 8.5 meters and made the bucket shot. It was glorious!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... o0Zp79nXwy
0ddrenaline
Division: Grad

Post by 0ddrenaline »

Good news, they addressed our concerns with a rules clarification :D
https://www.soinc.org/events/rules-clarifications
These users thanked the author 0ddrenaline for the post (total 3):
sciolyperson1 (October 14th, 2021, 9:08 am) • drcubbin (February 2nd, 2022, 4:55 am) • cheese (February 18th, 2022, 5:06 pm)
Giventhenumbers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Giventhenumbers »

While building my design for the event, I keep trying to understand the section on the triggering of the device. Does it have to be a separate part of the device? Or can it be, say, a string attached to the device
Herpetology is my specialty, 20+ medals. :geek:

GO SCIENCE AND ARTS ACADEMY!! (And everyone else)
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

Giventhenumbers wrote: October 24th, 2021, 8:40 pm While building my design for the event, I keep trying to understand the section on the triggering of the device. Does it have to be a separate part of the device? Or can it be, say, a string attached to the device
The triggering device is "not considered" part of the device, so I would guess that it could be part of the device or not. Make sure that you can be at least 75cm away from the launch area though.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Giventhenumbers wrote: October 24th, 2021, 8:40 pm While building my design for the event, I keep trying to understand the section on the triggering of the device. Does it have to be a separate part of the device? Or can it be, say, a string attached to the device
Remember that your body has to be 75cm outside / behind the launch box when you trigger your device. The rest of the device has to fit inside the launch box, but the "trigger" must extend outside it, so that you can operate the trigger. It could be a string that you pull, or a long rod / lever, or whatever else you want. It might remain attached to your device, or it might not - that's up to you.

(An example of a trigger device that doesn't remain attached would be some kind of retaining pin on a long string. Removing the pin by pulling the string makes the device fire. One that does remain attached? Think of something like a crossbow trigger with a long stick attached to it.)
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Post by bernard »

This event has recently received official rules clarifications/changes; please see soinc.org/events/rules-clarifications for details.
These users thanked the author bernard for the post (total 2):
drcubbin (February 2nd, 2022, 4:54 am) • Fyren (May 21st, 2022, 9:52 am)
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
drcubbin
Division: B
State: NY

Post by drcubbin »

0ddrenaline wrote: October 8th, 2021, 2:57 pm Good news, they addressed our concerns with a rules clarification :D
https://www.soinc.org/events/rules-clarifications
Makes complete sense! Now it looks (and should look) similar to scoring for Div B Air Trajectory.
Jehosaphat

Post by Jehosaphat »

So one interesting thing that happened for us at our state tournament was how they ran the timer. For some reason at the beginning of the event, they had a 60 x 60 cm box taped out that you had to set up your device to launch in, to show your device met parameters. At previous tournaments this had been done at impound, but by putting this on the timer the event supervisor made us use time that we had normally used for aiming and such, which led us to rushing our final bucket shot and missing entirely to the side.

Has anybody else experienced this style of event timing? I did not exactly hate the style but it was unique for how the event had otherwise been ran for me this year.
Waiting for the return of Ecology all by myself
HHS '22
Hope '26
jgrischow1
Division: B
State: OH
Has thanked: 0

Post by jgrischow1 »

Supervisor verifying measurements should not be part of a contestant's allotted time.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

The rules are quite clear on this.

Rule 5a: Measurement time required by the supervisor is not included in the allotted time.

Your state supervisor was wrong. That would certainly have been grounds to ask for arbitration, although the answer is likely to come back with some "all teams were equally disadvantaged by this error" nonsense.

Return to “Storm the Castle B/Trajectory C”