National Invitational Tournament Rules

dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B
Has thanked: 0

National Invitational Tournament Rules

Post by dholdgreve »

Is anyone else a little perplexed by the National Invitational Rules for Bridges? If I understand this correctly, the kids are to test their structure prior to December 18th, and submit a video showing the testing as well as the controls used, scoring, and logs, and submit the entire packet via google upload. The top teams will be notified (it doesn't say when). These top teams will need to make themselves available for a video chat the day of the tournament, and be prepared to retest their bridge? What if the bridge broke as it was being unloaded? What if it breaks when it is being loaded on tournament day? Which score will they use? Must they use the same bridge as they submitted the video of? Seems like there is a ton of questions, and I none of the email contacts on their website are linked properly... Anybody have a contact there?
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
State: NM

Re: National Invitational Tournament Rules

Post by coachchuckaahs »

The update posted, under the Dec 1 update, says notification of top teams will be on or before January 1.

The Jan 8 zoom call is a "second round". Presumably, one could enter any device meeting the rules. Certainly for Bridges a separate device ought to be entered. For flying events we may or may not use same device, but certainly the rubber loop used will be new, and any new adjustments to trim will be incorporated.

The guidance also indicates that ONLY the scores on Jan 8 will be used for placement of the top teams that participate in the Jan 8 zoom, and the Dec 18 scores used for all others. Also, if a top team is unable to get a venue or otherwise compete on Jan 8, they will be placed by their Dec 18 scores, but behind any teams that did participate in the zoom.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach

Post by dholdgreve »

Thanks Chuck,
I'm not sure I support that avenue... What if a kid has a REALLY great bridge for December 18th, but can't duplicate it on the 8th? Seems like maybe those that get to the second round should be ranked above all others, no matter how they do on the 8th.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

That is basically what my last sentence says, but in reverse. "Also, if a top team is unable to get a venue or otherwise compete on Jan 8, they will be placed by their Dec 18 scores, but behind any teams that did participate in the zoom.". This essentially means those that compete on Jan 8 will place ahead of those that do not. Say they pick the top 10 to go to round 2, then those teams are guaranteed top 10 finish. If they choose not to compete, they will be placed by their Dec 18 score, which still puts them in the top 10, but behind those that compete. Those that compete will drop their Dec 18 score, and be placed in the top 10, ahead of top-ten finishers that do not compete, and ordered by their score on the 8th.

That is my understanding, you can contact Peter if this needs more clarification

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
randomguy111
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Post by randomguy111 »

Hello,
Does anyone know when top teams will be notified?

Return to “Bridge B/C”