Dynamic Planet B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by pikachu4919 »

2022 Question Marathon Thread for Dynamic Planet C.

Question Marathons Explained

Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
aakoala
Division: C
State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by aakoala »

Let's get another question marathon started! Please keep in mind that the following questions will be on the easier side because I'm currently just skimming the surface of hydrology, and have not gone very in-depth in the field yet.

1. What is the most common type of drainage pattern, and how does it form?

2. Prolonged rainfall over Eastern Asia causes a lot of water to fall. How might the streams in this region respond to the increased amount of water?

3. If a rock has very high porosity, is it guaranteed that the rock also has high permeability? Why or why not?

4. What characteristic of water allows fish to survive in lakes during the winter?
Userpage
22-23 Events:
Cell Biology
Dynamic Planet
Forensics
Remote Sensing
AJ27
Been thanked: 0

Post by AJ27 »

My Answer:
1. The most common stream drainage pattern is Dendritic Drainage Pattern which is formed where areas have a similar type of bedrock (homogenous).
2. Prolonged rainfall may cause dissolving action on bedrock resulting in Karst Topography such as disappearing streams and solution valleys (I think?) 
3. Rock with high porosity should have high permeability because porosity is the ratio of rock (or material) to the porous space in the rock/material and permeability is how fast water can flow through rock therefore coarse sediment like gravel will have high porosity and high permeability while sand will have low porosity and low permeability.
4. The property that ice is less dense than water allows water to be liquid under the surface of the lake. Surface tension also plays a part in letting ice stay on top of the lake and let fish live in liquid under the frozen layer.
Did I get that right??
Here's some more questions...
1. What causes alluvial fan stream types?
2. What are the three most common types of bedrock that Karst Topography forms on?
3. What causes Trellis Stream Drainage Patterns?
2022 States Div B: Anatomy & Physiology 2nd, Codebusters 8th
2022 Nationals Div B: Anatomy & Physiology 9th :), Codebusters 37 :|
2023 States Div B: Anatomy & Physiology 2nd, Crave the Wave 2nd, Dynamic Planet 1st, Codebusters 6th
2023 Nationals Div B: TBD...
aakoala

Post by aakoala »

Thanks for participating!!!
#1: Correct!
#2: I think your answer is 100% and I would definitely accept it. I think I should've clarified it more, but I was looking more towards stream dynamics. With that in mind, I was looking for deeper, wider, faster-moving channels. ("As discharge increases, generally width, depth, and velocity of the stream also increase.")
#3: While this is generally true, it's not guaranteed for the rock to have high permeability if it has high porosity. ("A good example of a rock with high porosity and low permeability is a vesicular volcanic rock, where the bubbles that once contained gas give the rock a high porosity, but since these holes are not connected to one another the rock has low permeability.")
#4: Yup!

To answer your questions:
1. I think alluvial fans form when streams coming out of a high elevation suddenly drop to a low elevation and deposit their sediment. This is because as stream velocity decreases, capacity decreases meaning that sediment cannot be held by the river.
2. I only know CaCO3 (calcium carbonate). I searched it up and there's also gypsum and dolomite. Thanks for helping me learn something!
3. I'm pretty sure Trellis Drainage patterns form when a stream of water runs through bands of hard and soft rock. The soft rock is easily erodible and the stream runs easily, but the hard rock doesn't weather/erode as much and the stream is shorter. (bad explanation sorry!)
New Questions!
1. A scientist goes to investigate a meandering river. In 2020, the sinuosity of this river between points A and B was 1.6. If the straight=length distance between points A and B is 20 km, calculate the distance that the river traces out (path-length).
2. Differentiate between an intermittent and ephemeral stream.
3. Define capillary action and its connection to the unsaturated zone and the capillary fringe.
4. What is another common term for the "metalimnion" of a lake?
Userpage
22-23 Events:
Cell Biology
Dynamic Planet
Forensics
Remote Sensing
kman1234t
State: CA

Post by kman1234t »

aakoala wrote: December 31st, 2021, 8:03 am
New Questions!
1. A scientist goes to investigate a meandering river. In 2020, the sinuosity of this river between points A and B was 1.6. If the straight=length distance between points A and B is 20 km, calculate the distance that the river traces out (path-length).
2. Differentiate between an intermittent and ephemeral stream.
3. Define capillary action and its connection to the unsaturated zone and the capillary fringe.
4. What is another common term for the "metalimnion" of a lake?
1. path length = 32 km
2. Ephemeral streams are pretty much never fed by groundwater, and as such only are active after periods of rainfall. Intermittent streams flow occasionally, and are at least partially fed by groundwater so they can flow even when there isn't precipitation.
3. Capillary action is the process in which (in this case) water through the adhesive forces between it and the medium, and through surface tension(cohesion), let water counteract other forces to move. In the unsaturated zone, water is pulled upwards from the saturated zone through capillary action above the water table, creating the "saturated" capillary fringe area. 
4. Thermocline (flashback to DP Oceans)
aakoala

Post by aakoala »

Correct! Your turn :)
Userpage
22-23 Events:
Cell Biology
Dynamic Planet
Forensics
Remote Sensing
kman1234t
State: CA

Post by kman1234t »

1. What is the difference between dissolved, suspended, and bed load?
2. Describe how snowflakes form and how this justifies the claim that "no two snowflakes are the same"?
3. A soil is composed of 55% silt, 5% sand, and 45% clay. Would you consider this soil to have high, medium, or low infiltration rates? (you can use a soil triangle if you wish, but it shouldn't be necessary)
soil moisture.png
soil moisture.png (23.8 KiB) Viewed 3018 times
The image above shows soil moisture vs soil suction through wetting and drying. Why is there a gap between the two lines?

Return to “2022 Question Marathons”