Division: B
State: WA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Electric Wright Stuff B - Flight Log

Post by queenbee »

Hi,

Our team needs some help other optional parameters used to record and test in Electric Wright Stuff B flight log.
How can we test - Capacitor voltage at launch, Decalage measurements, Center of gravity for EWS. Thank you!
Last edited by queenbee on January 10th, 2022, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
State: NM

Re: Electric Wright Stuff B - Flight Log

Post by coachchuckaahs »

Capacitor voltage at launch: Use a voltmeter, after removing the battery (charger), before turning on the motor
Alternative: Charge fully (1 minute or more), then run motor for a few seconds, and record the run-off time. But voltage measurement is better. A cheap voltmeter form Harbor Freight or Amazon will work fine.

Decalage: Measure in mm using a ruler, from a consistent straight edge of your plane to the bottom edge of the wing and stabilizer. We use the bottom edge of the MS and Tail Boom as the reference, as we glue those up on a flat surface. Each measurement (leading edge and trailing edge) should be recorded, but I am not sure each measurement would count as a separate parameter. Incidence of the wing is the difference between the LE and TE of the wing, in mm. That would be a parameter. Same with stabilizer. The difference in incidence between wing and stab would be decalage. I would be OK with wing incidence and stab incidence as two parameters, or decalage as one. Reporting all three as "separate" parameters may be getting toward shady!

Other parameters to consider:
- CG location, in mm, relative to rear wing post, or on a plane with a moveable wing, CG location relative to front of plane, and wing position relative to front of plane (again, reporting both as separate parameters may be frowned. Report both, but you should have plenty of parameters top be sure)
- Charge time
- Voltage after landing (remaining charge)
- propeller diameter (if you have multiple to try)
-propeller pitch (if you have multiple, or twist to change. May take heat to change. Insert a 1/32" metal rod in the prop, hold tip of prop on the base of a protractor, and see what angle the pin is at. Check both blades to make sure they are equal)
- First lap altitude, could give some clues as to prop and charge performance
- motor resistance or unloaded RPM at 3.0V, if you have multiple motors

As always, it is important to log these for ALL of your flights. Change one thing at a time and record all of your data!

And if you have a "parameter" that never changes, I would question if that is actually a parameter. For example, if you only have one motor, then recording motor parameters as a variable may not count toward one of your required 6 parameters.

These are ONLY MY OPINION. Read the rules, and ask FAQ's for any official interpretations.

Generally when I ES, I see the bare minimum in the logs, which is not the intent. The log is scored because those that make the rules KNOW that logging your progress, and all variables, is critical to the science of flight improvement.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
cctl29
State: VA
Been thanked: 0

Re: EWS - Flight Log

Post by cctl29 »

If a commercial kit is used to construct the airplane, besides listing the kit in the material in Flight Log, I suppose it is not necessary to list all the materials in the kit. Is this correct?
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

The rules say to list "The materials used to construct the plane".

MY OPINION (not official, submit an FAQ if you want official): The "kit name" is the SOURCE of materials, but is not a list of materials.

To be safe, I would list the materials as supplied in the kit.

Coach Chuck
These users thanked the author coachchuckaahs for the post:
cctl29 (March 15th, 2022, 4:32 pm)
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
jander14indoor
Has thanked: 0

Post by jander14indoor »

Also, not official, but general guidance:
NEVER make it easy for an ES to tier you.
If the requirement is wing span less than 45 cm, make your plane 44.8 cm (44.9 if you have confidence in your measuring AND the ES measuring, but never 45.0!).
If the log asks for 10 flights, record at least 11.
Like Coach Chuck said, more detail on parts is better than less!

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
These users thanked the author jander14indoor for the post:
cctl29 (March 16th, 2022, 7:05 pm)

Return to “Electric Wright Stuff B”