It's About Time C

RasmitDevkota
Division: C
State: GA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: It's About Time C

Post by RasmitDevkota »

rish-leti wrote: January 12th, 2022, 1:23 pm How precise is the time given (tenths, hundredth etc..)? Would they ask us to time exactly 15 seconds, or like 15.6 seconds?
There's actually nothing in the rules that specifies this, but the implied consensus (based on competitions that have happened so far, still not a real rule at all) seems to be seconds. You only need precision in the tenths though since the rules count points off per tenth of a second.
Janelio
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Been thanked: 0

Post by Janelio »

Does anyone know if the event ‘it’s about time’ is still running at New York regionals?
rish-leti
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by rish-leti »

Is using an electronic end signal against the rules (ie. using some sort of sensor to trigger an LED)?
2020: Disease, Orni, Protein
2019: Anatomy, Density, Disease, Herp
DragonTownEpic
State: CA

Post by DragonTownEpic »

rish-leti wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 2:11 pm Is using an electronic end signal against the rules (ie. using some sort of sensor to trigger an LED)?
That is against the rules.
I CAN DAB AT COMPETITIONS AGAIN :x :x :x
Blesson

Post by Blesson »

Janelio wrote: January 13th, 2022, 1:38 pm Does anyone know if the event ‘it’s about time’ is still running at New York regionals?
As far as I know it should be still be running, although I think some regionals may not have a build portion for IAT.
These users thanked the author Blesson for the post:
Janelio (February 15th, 2022, 4:01 am)
Syosset High School
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

knightmoves wrote: November 18th, 2021, 11:17 am
skifi wrote: November 16th, 2021, 9:42 am Can we use electronic balance just to measure the weight.
Please consider the words "non-electrical" in rule 1.

Nothing that is part of your device may use electricity.

You may, of course, use an electronic balance during the construction of your device, or in its calibration, but not as part of your device.
So does this mean that we can use an electronic balance during the 5 minute setup period and 90 seconds we have before every trial?

Thanks!
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Godspeed wrote: February 14th, 2022, 6:02 pm
skifi wrote: November 16th, 2021, 9:42 am Can we use electronic balance just to measure the weight.

You may, of course, use an electronic balance during the construction of your device, or in its calibration, but not as part of your device.
So does this mean that we can use an electronic balance during the 5 minute setup period and 90 seconds we have before every trial?

Thanks!
That's a good question. A balance would be a tool needed for setup under rule 2d, which need not be impounded. Rule 5 II c says you can have timers for calibration in the 5 minute setup period, but not the 90 seconds before each trial. Given that it doesn't say you can't, I would assume you were able to use your tools (including electronic ones such as a balance) during both the 5 minute setup time and the 90s before each trial.
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

knightmoves wrote: February 18th, 2022, 9:55 am
Godspeed wrote: February 14th, 2022, 6:02 pm

Thanks!
That's a good question. A balance would be a tool needed for setup under rule 2d, which need not be impounded. Rule 5 II c says you can have timers for calibration in the 5 minute setup period, but not the 90 seconds before each trial. Given that it doesn't say you can't, I would assume you were able to use your tools (including electronic ones such as a balance) during both the 5 minute setup time and the 90s before each trial.
Alright, that clears a lot of my confusion, thanks a lot!
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

rish-leti wrote: January 12th, 2022, 1:23 pm How precise is the time given (tenths, hundredth etc..)? Would they ask us to time exactly 15 seconds, or like 15.6 seconds?
The rules say that you'll be scored to the nearest tenth of a second. This implies that an ES could reasonably choose a target time with some number of tenths. There's nothing in the rules requiring an ES to choose a whole number of seconds.
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

I know this question has come up before about water crossing a line, but does anyone have any record of an ES actually not allowing water crossing a line?

(I understand why it isn't distinct but I'm just wondering if any team has actually faced the issue of their crossing line signal to be invalid)

Return to “2022 Lab Events”