coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

SO students set new National Records

Post by coachchuckaahs »

(Cross-posted from EWS)

We just returned from a highly successful outing at an AMA contest in Eagar AZ. My SO kids have flown here for several years. They initially flew Limited Penny Planes, as these build similar to WS. We pursued records in F1M, since for youth Junior (Under age 14 on July 1) and youth Senior (under 19 on July 1) these records several years ago were vacant.

The star of the weekend was Odessa Wignall, who competed in EWS this season (She won SONI, NM Central Region, and NM State). On her first flight she beat Elijah Rose, who set the Youth Junior record last year. Several flights later, while I was busy filling out paperwork for the record, she punched a 12:46 (Cat 3) flight, riding thermals in the dome. She only was coached on her first wind of rubber, then we discussed using thinner rubber because it ran out at 50 feet. While I worked on the paperwork, she progressed through several strands of thinner rubber, and then came back with a 12:46. We realized this not only set the F1M mark, but also beat the standing LPP and Open PP records. The Open PP and LPP records stood since 1983!

While the air was EXCEPTIONAL Friday with generous thermals, Odessa remained 2 minutes ahead of the pack the entire weekend, whatever the weather. One adult, who placed second in LPP, was heard saying "At least I won the adult class". We will apply 4 records: Her first flight, which set a new mark for F1M, then her 12:46 flight which set new marks in F1M, LPP, and OPP.

Anjulie Sorbello flew a Gowen F1M. She beat her team-mate Monet's prior Youth Senior record on Friday, and then again set a higher mark on Sunday.

These kids are diligent and driven to better the prior marks. Judging from the long-standing Youth Junior Record in OPP and LPP, I suspect that Odessa's mark will stand for some time!
These users thanked the author coachchuckaahs for the post (total 2):
CookiePie1 (April 11th, 2022, 9:53 am) • Adi1008 (April 11th, 2022, 7:45 pm)
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records

Return to “Wright Stuff C”