Ornithology B/C

Gavinm9805
Division: C
State: TX

Binder Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by Gavinm9805 »

I would recommend starting with the information listed on the All About Birds website Life History section (Habitat, Food Nesting, etc). I would say this is the bare minimum for an "okay" binder. You can get quite a few questions, but I would not bet on placing at a competition. You can see what this might look like in the PDF. This example is far from perfect but is certainly a start. Improvements can be made by adding more info like ID info or a map. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I2CNTj ... sp=sharing

If you are looking to be more competitive I would highly recommend getting a subscription to "Birds of the World". They go into much more depth with pretty much everything, and generally have better diagrams, but it is less organized and lots of information will never get used at competition.

With Ornithology, especially virtual competitions, speed is key. Having a ton of info may be helpful in getting a few extra questions, but may ultimately slow you down while searching for answers. That being said, some tournaments make tests that are absurdly difficult, so all that extra info may be necessary to place. So just remember that when making a binder, be generous when putting information but not careless. (I would not recommend more than 2 pages of info per bird.)

Some other tips would be putting sheet protectors on your pages (makes flipping pages faster), putting tabs throughout your binder (it helps some flip faster but some are indifferent), and choosing a well-made binder (flipping through the binder can get a little rough, and the last thing you would want is accidentally pulling out a page and getting disqualified because your binder rings are weak)

The are other things that can be said such as anatomy and physiology info, but I would focus on getting the basic bird info first.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Gavinm9805 on February 8th, 2022, 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Gavinm9805 for the post (total 2):
moconnor214 (February 11th, 2022, 5:42 am) • Aaron-H (February 24th, 2022, 8:47 am)
DragonTownEpic
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Binder Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by DragonTownEpic »

Gavinm9805 wrote: February 8th, 2022, 11:42 pm I would recommend starting with the information listed on the All About Birds website Life History section (Habitat, Food Nesting, etc). I would say this is the bare minimum for an "okay" binder. You can get quite a few questions, but I would not bet on placing at a competition. You can see what this might look like in the PDF. This example is far from perfect but is certainly a start. Improvements can be made by adding more info like ID info or a map. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I2CNTj ... sp=sharing

If you are looking to be more competitive I would highly recommend getting a subscription to "Birds of the World". They go into much more depth with pretty much everything, and generally have better diagrams, but it is less organized and lots of information will never get used at competition.

With Ornithology, especially virtual competitions, speed is key. Having a ton of info may be helpful in getting a few extra questions, but may ultimately slow you down while searching for answers. That being said, some tournaments make tests that are absurdly difficult, so all that extra info may be necessary to place. So just remember that when making a binder, be generous when putting information but not careless. (I would not recommend more than 2 pages of info per bird.)

Some other tips would be putting sheet protectors on your pages (makes flipping pages faster), putting tabs throughout your binder (it helps some flip faster but some are indifferent), and choosing a well-made binder (flipping through the binder can get a little rough, and the last thing you would want is accidentally pulling out a page and getting disqualified because your binder rings are weak)

The are other things that can be said such as anatomy and physiology info, but I would focus on getting the basic bird info first.

Hope this helps.
Just adding on, I would highly recommend lightly annotating your fact sheets. Just highlighting/bolding cool facts or important information can do wonders for your speed.
I CAN DAB AT COMPETITIONS AGAIN :x :x :x
Aaron-H
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ornithology B/C

Post by Aaron-H »

Quick Question: How much time is usually given per station?
Awesome314159
State: WA

Post by Awesome314159 »

svemula973 wrote: December 11th, 2021, 1:22 pm Hi,
Is there a recommended field guide for ornithology?
I know this reply is kinda late but here's what I would recommend. Along with what others have said, choose a field guide with 1) All the birds you need, 2) Good organization for the birds (would say taxonomically), and 3) A field guide that you are comfortable with and one that you can go through quickly. A field guide with a lot of information will cover everything, but it will take you more time to go through everything, and time is important during the competition. I'll admit, I'm not too much of an expert w/ Ornithology but this is what I know. Currently, I'm using the Nat Geo field guide. I've also heard a lot about the Audubon Field Guide, although it is on the larger end of field guides.

Here is a link I would recommend for choosing field guides: https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... GUIDES.pdf
Amesome314159
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
anagene
State: GA

Post by anagene »

Aaron-H wrote: February 24th, 2022, 9:24 am Quick Question: How much time is usually given per station?
I'd say that depends on the number of stations and sometimes the number of stations is determined by the number of teams in a time slot. In small tournaments, i either write longer stations or have empty stations at the start of the tournament so the time can vary from 2 minutes to 5 minutes. In larger tournaments, i might have teams moving every two minutes to accommodate the max number of teams in a time slot.
These users thanked the author anagene for the post:
Aaron-H (May 7th, 2022, 2:14 pm)
He had the look of one who had drunk the cup of life and found a dead beetle at the bottom.
dli126
Division: B
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Post by dli126 »

Will there be bird sounds at Nationals?
kman1234t
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by kman1234t »

dli126 wrote: May 12th, 2022, 4:25 am Will there be bird sounds at Nationals?
Nationals recommends you bring headphones to the ornithology test, so I think it is safe to assume that there will be bird songs/calls/etc. on the test.

Return to “2022 Study Events”