Senior Reflections 2022

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Senior Reflections 2022

Post by Umaroth »

Dear Scioly: 2022 Senior Reflections

Hi everyone, I was planning to post this after awards but everything is not good right now so here it is. Now that Nationals is over, I asked a bunch of seniors from different schools to write and post reflections about their Scioly experience seeing as how many twists and turns we’ve had and how amazing and painful our Division C experience has been. These posts can take any form you want, whether it’s a well-organized essay or a trauma dump that could use some Grammarly. Mine will be of the latter form (as SilverBreeze put it, “Tim, why do you talk so fluently and write like William Faulkner?”). Hopefully, this gives us some catharsis and we can keep the underclassmen going by showing them just how much they’ve missed these past three years.

So, I guess here’s mine:

Dear Scioly,

I went to a no-name elementary school in a no-name school district. The closest thing I had to Scioly was that I knew I wanted to go to Troy, even though I had never heard of Scioly before in my life. In fact, when I chose to be the only kid from my school to go to Kraemer for middle school, Scioly wasn’t even on my mind: it was Spelling Bee (the previous OC Spelling Bee winner was from Kraemer). Even in 7th grade, I only briefly considered joining but ultimately decided against it because I already committed to the Cyberpatriot team and thought Scioly would be too much of a time commitment. Should I regret this? Probably not. My life would have turned out much differently if I did Scioly in 7th grade, and I probably wouldn’t even be writing about this or know any of you if I did.

My last words from that period were something like “Ok, I’ll try it, this trial event sounds fun.” After a ton of prodding from Mr. Evola, I came to my first meeting on December 12th, 2017. I remember that first meeting because he was chewing out the team for getting 3rd at Ladera Vista Invite after a big win at Churchill the week before. I had no idea what was going on, I was just there to do Amazing Mechatronics.

My first invitational was Mira Loma 2018, and my first Scioly memories came with it. I didn’t know that I would be at that Courtyard Marriott another four times in the next two years, but I still remember soldering outside the hotel in the rain because someone broke the Hovercraft battery charger. And of course, nobody can forget that giant bunny sculpture in Sacramento International Airport. My first medal was 2nd place in Amazing Mech, losing to Kennedy.

Naturally, after this, Evola wanted me to do more. And naturally, I wanted to use my Spelling Bee powers to destroy everyone in Fast Facts. After Kraemer Invite, I was stuck in the Scioly hole. Fast forward to States and I was still doing trial events, but I was fully invested in coaching the Fast Facts team. It was my first time doing Code and Detector, which I didn’t know would come to be my safe place and torture chamber respectively throughout high school. Even though I wasn’t doing scored events, I was still crushed when we lost States by a point. With three people quitting the Monday before States, we truly clutched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Because of that single point, the next year, I wanted to win. Coming back as a ninth-grader ended up being the best decision I have ever made. I was planning to come back anyways since I was 100% sure I wasn’t ready for Div C, but me making the B team at Troy kind of threw a wrench in things. It was sometime in November that I texted him around 1 AM saying something along the lines of “I want to come back because I want to make Nats with Kraemer. I have three more years with Troy, but this is my last chance here.”

And as everyone knows, I didn’t have three more years of Nats with Troy. The 2021 season was painful. Weekend after weekend of waking up to take tests that seemed to be worsening in quality every time, then waiting a whole week for results that I didn’t even care about. No walking around with someone complaining about the test, no meeting up with friends from other teams, nothing to offset all the horrible tests. In a normal year, I could probably tell something about every single test I’ve taken at an invitational, like the Codebusters test from SOLVI 2020 season written by Sunny Hills with the super long Friends quote, or the Ladera Vista 2019 season DP test that wanted Div B teams to integrate a mass balance equation. I cannot remember a single test from last season, and, quite frankly, this season too.

Maybe I was just naive and hopeful for this season. After getting to go to UT Invite in October, I was excited, which only compounded after running Troy Invite. The return of real Scioly felt like it was just at my fingertips. Then we lost every single in-person invitational we were supposed to go to. All pretty much within a week. I already came home completely broken and crying for hours after our first two Satellite invitationals, but this just completely destroyed me. The night that SOLVI dropped their in-person tournament three days before we were supposed to go, I just planted myself on a bench at school and sobbed for half an hour (luckily nobody was around and it was dark outside). One night I was just hit with a couple of hours of anxiety after realizing that everything I had been working for was just suddenly gone. I ditched pretty much every other opportunity I had in high school because I believed in Scioly and poured everything into it. I never expected that I would end my real Scioly career with Golden Gate 2020 thinking “That was a sad loss, but we’ll redeem ourselves at Nats.” I spent the rest of the month just anxious about the moment that I’d get a text saying that we have to cancel Sierra Vista Invite too. But that text thankfully never came and I got to put on my final real Scioly event of high school. Getting home that night, I was the happiest I had been for a really long time. It was a pleasant break from the constant dread before and the hole in my heart afterward.

If it weren’t for getting to coach Sierra Vista, I would have easily quit last year. I originally joked to myself that the only things keeping me going were SB, new episodes of Marvel shows, my friends, and my SV kids. It took a while to realize how true that really was. My solace from the past two years comes from knowing that even though I am never going to get the real Scioly experience again, I can make sure my kids get it. My parents were initially annoyed at how much time I spent coaching them, but once they realized just how much pain Div C has caused me, they were okay.

I was both looking forward to Nats because it meant the year was finally over, but also dreading it because it meant I started to have my lasts. My last time at practice eating snacks and chugging soda with the team. My last time berating my IAT partner for using too much hot glue and not actually testing his device to 300 seconds. My last time complaining about HOW MUCH I ABSOLUTELY HATE DETECTOR BUILDING AND AM GLAD TO LEAVE IT. Worst of all, my last time doing Code, my favorite event of all time, with my favorite partner of all time, the one event that I look forward to every time no matter how bad the test is or how often it crashes Scilympiad. (also sorry Mr. Toebes for always railing on your tests, thank you for giving me some of the best parts of my Scioly career).

I’ve spent a lot of time just lying down thinking about the what-ifs. The biggest one is if those three people didn’t leave the Monday before States in 8th grade, I wouldn’t be where I am today. I wouldn’t be going to Berkeley next year. I wouldn’t have been to Nats. I wouldn’t be best friends with two idiots from New Jersey. I wouldn’t be talking to people from all over the country more than I do people at my own school. I wouldn’t be part of a bird cult or two. I wouldn’t have met my soulmate SilverBreeze. I wouldn’t have the best Code partner in the world. I wouldn’t have gotten to coach one of the best teams in the country. Or direct five invitationals in three years. Half of my team probably wouldn’t even have moved to Troy for high school. I probably wouldn’t even be in Scioly at this point if it weren’t for coming back as a ninth-grader, so I can definitely say I wouldn’t be writing this.

As much as I hated the past two years, I cannot say that Scioly wasn’t worth it. Scioly opened the door for my entire life and I would be a completely different Tim without it. I hope I’ve been a net positive to most people I’ve met through Scioly because I can say the same for almost everyone in this community. You made me completely unrecognizable (well, aside from the haircut) from the lonely seventh-grader walking into Kraemer Middle School who had never heard of Scioly and only wanted to get to the National Spelling Bee. I am at peace with myself now because all I ever wanted was to make everyone proud of the person they made.

When everyone gets their real Scioly back, I hope you take advantage of it. I never once expected my last real team experience of high school to be in icky humid Houston for FRC Champs instead of Scioly, but I skipped all my homework for a week to savor the time with my team because I knew I would never get it again. Thai food in the hotel and late night karaoke that we somehow didn’t get a noise complaint for was bittersweet. It started to fill that missing part of my heart, but it wasn’t with the people I expected it to be. When you get to go to your first invitational or regional back, go talk to other teams, try a new event, and do something fun with your own team. Enjoy it for the ‘20s who got it stolen from them in the home stretch, the ‘21s who kept going even with no hope, and the ‘22s who dreamed of something real and got crushed in the end. I’ll be rooting for you all.

Love
Tim
These users thanked the author Umaroth for the post (total 35):
person-v132 (May 14th, 2022, 5:29 pm) • jaspattack (May 14th, 2022, 5:30 pm) • Godspeed (May 14th, 2022, 5:32 pm) • azboy1910 (May 14th, 2022, 5:36 pm) • Mr.Epithelium (May 14th, 2022, 5:36 pm) • malikaow1004 (May 14th, 2022, 5:40 pm) • builderguy135 (May 14th, 2022, 5:47 pm) • sanjitsarda (May 14th, 2022, 5:49 pm) • agneg05 (May 14th, 2022, 5:52 pm) • sciolyperson1 (May 14th, 2022, 5:52 pm) and 25 more users
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
Birdmusic
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Senior Reflections 2022

Post by Birdmusic »

Hi there. I haven't been super active in the SciOly community but I still would like to share my thoughts. My first draft was really messy, so I’m going to try again from scratch. Some quick background: I’m the president of American High School’s SciOly team.

I’m boring, so I guess I’ll try to put on some songs and write what comes to mind. I’m not a good writer, this is not going to be insightful, at all.

“the 1” - Taylor Swift

The president last year was a huge Swiftie. I remember once at an online competition, he recommended this song. He was much better at leading the team during a year of online SciOly. SciOly still felt like something then, I guess. I have fond memories of some things we did over Zoom “team bases.” There’s none of that this year. Maybe it was the seniors that year, who I know better than I know any of the younger kids on team this year except the wonderful officers.

I can’t decide if I failed this year as a president. It feels like we stagnated; less tryouts members, worse performances, less invitationals than last year. It feels like we brushed against the sky, then fell, tumbling down. At the same time, the fatigue from a year and a half of being online is there as well. Maybe I’m an alright president, just one not suited for a year where everything else returned to person but SciOly remained stuck online. Maybe I’m not, and I’m a bad leader and a good team member. I don’t know.

“好好” - 五月天

My mom had this song on the car back in freshman year. It’s fitting now, when I’m here at the end of a fairly happy childhood, ready to take my first steps as an adult. Living across the country, away from my family for the first time, it’s terrifying to think about, but at the same time, I want to be away from the last few years, physically and mentally.

SciOly, really, was a form of escape for me. For a few hours during competition, there was nothing in the world except a few tests, my team, and the coffee shops and gardens my friend and I would find as we wandered the campuses. When studying, it was easy to forget the world and my troubles (even if I was creating new ones by doing difficult problems) and I loved having partners to work with, both in person and online.

This song has a section about lasts, and it’s really made me think of all the lasts I’ve had, that I never realized. The last time rehearsing or performing with my flute ensemble, the last time meeting with my partner in person, and just the last time competing at an in person competition. I was so certain that this year, if nothing else, GGSO or States would be my last in person competition. But I guess not. I really wish I could go back, tell my past self how short of a time I’d have at in person competitions, and to enjoy it rather than stressing out every second. SciOly in-person was really something. The highs and lows were equally extreme and equally frequent. I wish I could feel those emotions again, but the last two years have proven rather stagnant.

“Les Rois du Monde” - Philippe d'Avilla, Damien Sargue and Grégori Baquet

After I came home after GGSO, my first competition in 9th grade, this song was playing on blast in my house on the TV. I had just won two medals at GGSO and felt on top of the world, like I could do anything. A lot of my most treasured memories from high school are from SciOly. There’s so many I can’t imagine putting them all down here, but there’s nothing quite as beautiful as a perfectly executed Wright Stuff run or as delicious as a cup of hot chocolate on a cold, rainy day while wandering with a friend through UC Berkeley. The sunsets that I’d see the day before a competition always had brilliant yellows and pastel pinks and vivid oranges. I’d look out the window, catch a glimpse, and for a second, think about how lovely it was that I was alive, even if I had a high-stress competition the next day.

SciOly was such a huge part of my life back in ninth grade, and even though it matters less to me now, I am grateful to my past self for studying so diligently. Even the most difficult science courses I’ve taken in high school can’t compare to Protein Modeling or Circuit Lab, and although I cursed those events every day I did them, I now appreciate how much they improved my understanding of basic chemistry and physics.

But at the same time, I can’t figure out why I considered SciOly so important to my identity back then. I guess priorities shift, and although I still think about SciOly a lot, it’s more of a burden than a passion now.

白色风车 - 周杰伦

My feelings about SciOly are so conflicted, but one thing I know I am grateful for are the friends I made through it. CalifORNIa kept me company through quarantine when nobody from my school talked to me about anything besides schoolwork and clubs. I met my closest friend from middle and high school, and I love joking around with the officers. The alumni were also my friends and mentors; the advice they provided and opportunities they introduced me to are invaluable.

If you asked me in freshman year, if I thought I’d have good friends from all across California, I’d have laughed. But now, even though the magic of SciOly is long dead, I still keep in touch with all of the friends I’ve made through it, and I’m always surprised, entertained, and supported by them.

It’s cliche, but the best thing about SciOly is really the people you meet. Even now, I think about when my Sounds partner and I tuned our instrument as we listened to the Salamander Song, when my Disease partner flew a (simulated) plane underwater when he was supposed to be working on a practice test, when my Orni partner and I watched the Birdemic trailer and laughed and laughed and laughed, when my Circuit partner and I built a logic gate from transistors. It was all so much fun, and I’m sad that it's ending before I had one last chance to experience it all in person.

親愛的旅人啊 - 周深 (Cover of Always With Me - Youmi Kimura)

I want to end on a not too depressing note, so I guess I’ll leave some advice for the future competitors. SciOly is awesome during in-person times, there’s no other extracurricular quite like it. Study hard (as hard as you want), but enjoy your time at competitions. Wander around the campus and find the hidden paths through idyllic scenes of nature. Buy coffee and cake with your friends and savor it. Meet new people from other teams and say hi. Play frisbee. Scream at awards, run on stage (safely), throw stuffed animals at your team members. Not just in SciOly, enjoy living in the moment sometimes. Don’t spend every moment worrying and preparing for the future, because there’s parts of the future that are up to chance and you can’t really change before.

For the future officers, build connections with the team. That’s the best morale booster there could be, in my opinion. Reach out to other teams, including your competitors. Sure, we are going against each other at competitions, but we are all working together to learn science, fighting similar stubborn school administration and endless money issues to make a team run. Everyone is excited about going back to in-person competitions, so make it count.

You got this, and have fun,
Bird
These users thanked the author Birdmusic for the post (total 14):
kman1234t (May 14th, 2022, 7:05 pm) • person-v132 (May 14th, 2022, 7:55 pm) • Umaroth (May 14th, 2022, 8:39 pm) • Epithelium58 (May 14th, 2022, 9:11 pm) • cryo (May 14th, 2022, 9:26 pm) • IOnlyShoot3s (May 14th, 2022, 9:35 pm) • Godspeed (May 15th, 2022, 1:06 am) • Lei0 (May 15th, 2022, 8:12 am) • Adi1008 (May 15th, 2022, 3:53 pm) • legendaryalchemist (May 15th, 2022, 4:47 pm) and 4 more users
I like birds.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Birdmusic wrote: May 14th, 2022, 6:43 pm I can’t decide if I failed this year as a president. It feels like we stagnated; less tryouts members, worse performances, less invitationals than last year. It feels like we brushed against the sky, then fell, tumbling down. At the same time, the fatigue from a year and a half of being online is there as well. Maybe I’m an alright president, just one not suited for a year where everything else returned to person but SciOly remained stuck online. Maybe I’m not, and I’m a bad leader and a good team member. I don’t know.
Don't feel bad. I think the second online year was harder than the first as well. The first year, we had some momentum coming from the previous year, and most people knew what they were doing. This year we'd lost a core group of experienced people, and replaced them with people who just didn't have the same competition experience. And it's hard to get excited about competition when what you're doing is sitting around in a classroom at your school with a chromebook. There's no hype, no excitement, no thousand kids running around trying to figure out where their event got moved to, because it's not in the classroom on the map. Who's going to get excited about signing up to spend Saturdays at school?

I think we had the best competition that we could reasonably get this year, but it's OK to be sad that it wasn't as good as the best we could imagine.
These users thanked the author knightmoves for the post (total 3):
Umaroth (May 17th, 2022, 2:42 pm) • Birdmusic (May 18th, 2022, 6:54 pm) • Aaron-H (June 13th, 2022, 11:48 am)
vehicleguy

Post by vehicleguy »

Science Olympiad has been my favorite activity ever since I began competing in 5th grade. In middle school, I would spend class researching how to improve my builds, and I would excitedly come home ready to put my ideas into fruition. Competitions were by far my favorite days of the year, as I loved the thrill of competing in my events and waiting at the awards ceremony.

I myself had a miserable experience during the 2021 season. I dreaded every competition, mainly because I was stuck at home but also because I was in knowledge events I despised. I had absolutely zero reason to care for the awards ceremony, as they were released by the time all the hype was gone. In addition, I was placed in massive competitions with over 100 teams, most of which I could not compete with, and it was simply discouraging. Although we participated in over 10 invites that year, I ended with a mere 4 medals at the end of the season, which was a poor reflection of myself as a competitor.

I began to hate Science Olympiad, the program that I was most passionate about. I would look back upon my favorite competitons, depressed that I would probably never experience a feeling like I did at those competition again. My last in person competition before the 2021 season was Princeton, where I broke my plane due to a careless mistake and costed my self a probable top 3 finish. I often would reflect on that competition as well, feeling bitter and yearning for redemption.

Unlike most other competitiors though, I was extremely lucky. Pennsylvania regionals and states were in person, so I was able to end my career on a high note. I am EXTREMELY grateful for this, and I express my sorrows for any teams that did not have a similar outcome.

The main reason I am writing this post, though, is to reflect on how Covid changed Science Olympiad. From 2017 to the beginning of 2020 when I was active on the forums, Science Olympiad was bustling. Although I am unaware of an exact statistic, there seemed to be around a hundred posts being made per day. Furthermore, in 2020, I was active on the discord, which was also incredibly active. Ever since covid, both sites seemed to heavily decline in activity, especially the forums. My team had immense difficulty finding members, and I am certain that other moderately competitive schools had similar issues. It's too harsh to say that Covid killed Science Olympiad, but it definitely created a bruise that may never be healed.

I wish every Science Olympiad competitor an amazing future. The people in this program created a community that I will always belong to, and Science Olympiad is undoubtedly the most memorable part of my middle and high school years.
These users thanked the author vehicleguy for the post (total 5):
bagman78 (May 17th, 2022, 6:42 am) • Jehosaphat (May 17th, 2022, 7:20 am) • Umaroth (May 17th, 2022, 7:25 am) • Adi1008 (May 17th, 2022, 11:51 am) • Aaron-H (June 13th, 2022, 11:48 am)
AHHS '22 Vanderbilt '26
2022 Events: Chem Lab, Envi Chem, It's About Time, Orni, PPP, Wright Stuff
2022 States: 3rd Envi Chem, 3rd Orni, 4th Wright Stuff
Userpage- https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Vehicleguy
bagman78
State: LA

Post by bagman78 »

Thanks for the post Vehicleguy. You're not alone.

P.S. Good luck at Vanderbilt
Last edited by bagman78 on May 17th, 2022, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author bagman78 for the post (total 3):
Umaroth (May 17th, 2022, 7:26 am) • vehicleguy (May 17th, 2022, 8:02 am) • Aaron-H (June 13th, 2022, 11:48 am)
danielarobles
Has thanked: 0

Post by danielarobles »

Good luck at Vanderbilt!
These users thanked the author danielarobles for the post:
Aaron-H (June 13th, 2022, 11:48 am)
kman1234t
Division: Grad

Post by kman1234t »

Today, I say goodbye to the best part of the last four years - Science Olympiad. Following is a condensed version of a speech I wrote.

I distinctly remember the first time I heard about Science Olympiad. A friend had shown me a half sheet of paper, printed with the date and time of an orientation meeting, and an address scribbled in pencil. 6 hours from that moment, I would meet the two loves of my life - dynamic planet glaciers and scioly.

The past few months, I’ve been asking myself one question - Have we been able to positively impact and influence the lives of our peers? And of course the place where I look is scioly, as there’s nothing I’ve put more effort into than it.

The first bullet point on that half sheet had the words “Competitive team was 2nd in state and 1st in region in 2018”. And wow have we as a team come so far since then, even when there was very little room to improve.

My freshman year was pretty amazing. It took a few months, but after many hours exploring scioly.org and creating a discord account to converse with people also doing scioly, I found that I understood what Science Olympiad was all about. Both at school and online, I found an incredible community of people that I will be proud to be a part of for many, many years to come. On the gold team my freshman year at GGSO, no one on our team medaled. But that didn’t matter. Each successive placing culminating in the first ever win by our black team at a major invitational felt like a victory for all of us because we all helped each other to achieve something greater. At states that year, the team got ever closer to a state championship, excited for the following season.

The following year we were hit by covid halfway through. There’s not much more to say but competing at GGSO that year was not the worst end to my in person competition experience - even if I didn’t know it at the time.

Maybe because people didn’t have anything better to do with their time in quarantine, the team had a massive bump in people trying out, enough for us to have three full teams for the first time. Having everyone take tryouts individually from home was one of the most complicated events I’ve had to organize but weirdly enough it was the closest I felt that year to normal scioly competitions. We were still able to get together every week, I became comfortable with teaching others, preparing lectures, giving quizzes, and “delegating tasks” aka making other people take notes for my binder. Despite online competitions and awards being the drain that they were, as a team, we managed to stick together, study, and persevere. That year, my friend kindly let me help write for an invitational, my first such experience. Between supervising tournaments, weekly calls with my partners, helping other teams succeed, and getting to know more cool comrades, the social isolation wasn’t all that bad. I used scioly as a guilt free way of procrastinating on school work, and procrastinated on actually studying for scioly by texting people over discord about scioly.

Despite our hopes for in person tournaments this season being shattered one by one, all three teams did exceptionally well at tournaments. At regionals, White team exploded from 22nd place to 11th and Gold team achieved their lowest score in history, placing high enough to make it to states if not for the one team per school rule.
And ultimately, I had fun this year. Orientation night, tryouts, in-person study sessions, getting to rant about horrible tests *cough* envirochem *cough* face to face with my partners, after tournament team outings, and forming some of the best friendships I’ve ever had, all made sticking with scioly worth it.

After things going wrong at nearly every tournament this season, Nationals went smoothly. We had learned from our mistakes and we did well. It’s scary to think about, but we have 23 events, split among 15 people, and each individual on each event, 48 times, has to succeed for the team to do well. Each person is uniquely dependent on every other person on the team, and that is what makes science olympiad so special. The actual work and accountability is entirely left up to each and every one of us that competes.

Every year, I’ve wondered if this was the year we were going to do worse than the nearly impossible standards the previous team had set. And every year I’ve not been disappointed by the incredible work everyone has done to achieve the improbable. This year, Black won states again and took 2nd at nats, only 4 points shy of first, a feat that I never could have imagined when I joined scioly four years ago.

I really hope that everyone who chooses to come back next year will take advantage of everything your team has to offer. I hope they make more friends, reach out to people, engage in conversation with people outside of your social circles. I hope they communicate with alumni from across the community as they won’t hesitate to give advice. Graduating has been difficult not because I am leaving Mountain View High School, but because I am leaving Mountain View High School Science Olympiad and Science Olympiad as a competitor. After this - I’m done. Done with no further commitments to the team. Done with what has been by far the best part of the past 4 years, and done with getting to work and compete with the smartest, kindest, and most nerdy people I’ve met. As I leave this and move on, I must ask myself that question: Were we able to positively impact and influence the lives of the people around us? And based on what I’ve seen the past 4 years, the answer is most definitely yes.

BYE!!!!✌️
These users thanked the author kman1234t for the post (total 5):
GeicoAds (June 9th, 2022, 9:38 pm) • Umaroth (June 10th, 2022, 2:16 am) • Lei0 (June 10th, 2022, 10:07 pm) • Aaron-H (June 13th, 2022, 11:48 am) • Birdmusic (June 25th, 2022, 8:20 am)

Return to “General Competition”