Storm the Castle B

knightmoves

Re: Storm the Castle B

Post by knightmoves »

Pebble wrote: May 25th, 2022, 7:35 pm Does a walking trebuchet have too much starting potential energy besides the counterweight or does anyone think it could be actually feasible in practice?
The device, without the counterweight and projectile, must not contribute energy to the launch. (rule 3d). I think all "walking arm" designs I've seen would fail this automatically. It would also be challenging to launch such a device from 75cm outside the launch area.

Perhaps you could construct a such a device where the only loss of gravitational potential energy between the beginning and end of the launch cycle was in the counterweight, but I think such a device would lose many of the advantages of the walking arm design. But if you think it's viable, it might be fun to build a small tabletop model and see how well it worked.

(Also remember that the goal of this event is accuracy and repeatability rather than just range.)
Pebble
Division: B
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Pebble »

knightmoves wrote: May 26th, 2022, 2:58 pm
Pebble wrote: May 25th, 2022, 7:35 pm Does a walking trebuchet have too much starting potential energy besides the counterweight or does anyone think it could be actually feasible in practice?
The device, without the counterweight and projectile, must not contribute energy to the launch. (rule 3d). I think all "walking arm" designs I've seen would fail this automatically. It would also be challenging to launch such a device from 75cm outside the launch area.

Perhaps you could construct a such a device where the only loss of gravitational potential energy between the beginning and end of the launch cycle was in the counterweight, but I think such a device would lose many of the advantages of the walking arm design. But if you think it's viable, it might be fun to build a small tabletop model and see how well it worked.

(Also remember that the goal of this event is accuracy and repeatability rather than just range.)
Alright, thanks!
I would assume that most competitions from regionals and up would be more strict with rules and given that they penalized our floating arm trebuchet even after we attempted to balance it, I guess a walking arm design probably isn't a good idea
ok
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Pebble wrote: June 1st, 2022, 5:19 pm I would assume that most competitions from regionals and up would be more strict with rules and given that they penalized our floating arm trebuchet even after we attempted to balance it, I guess a walking arm design probably isn't a good idea
Your assumptions here are sensible.

Return to “Storm the Castle B/Trajectory C”