MIT Science Olympiad Invitational 2023

SciOly at MIT
Tournament
Tournament
Has thanked: 0

MIT Science Olympiad Invitational 2023

Post by SciOly at MIT »

We are pleased to announce that the 9th annual MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament will take place in-person on Saturday, January 21st, 2023 at the MIT campus. We will be running all 23 Division C national events, including lab and engineering events. All events will be written, reviewed, and run by Science Olympiad alumni currently at MIT, national tournament event supervisors, and/or former Science Olympiad competitors from the highest level of competition. This means that coaches will not be required to write tests or otherwise volunteer at the invitational, leaving them free to focus solely on coaching their own teams.

Registration will open on Friday, September 16th, 2022 at 6 PM ET and will close the following Friday, September 23rd at 6 PM ET. More details about registration will be available on our website shortly. Teams will be notified of their acceptance on Monday, October 3rd, and a public list of participating teams will be announced on Monday, October 10th.

We will guarantee acceptance of schools that meet either of the following qualifications:

- Schools that have placed Top 10 at the MIT Invitational the previous year
- Schools that have placed Top 10 at the National Tournament the previous year

All teams that do not meet the qualifications for guaranteed acceptance will have their acceptance determined by a lottery. As we continue to grow our tournament, we aim to maintain a diverse pool of competitors while also upholding the rigor of our tournament. As such, we still strongly encourage all teams to apply, especially Massachusetts teams, regardless of their reputation or experience level.

Schools that would like to bring two teams can fill out an additional question on the registration form regarding why they need to bring two teams— the answers will be reviewed to make sure as many teams are satisfied as possible.

This announcement can also be viewed on our website scioly.mit.edu. Please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected] if you have any questions. We look forward to the upcoming season!
These users thanked the author SciOly at MIT for the post (total 2):
pumptato-cat (September 15th, 2022, 4:11 pm) • pppestilence (January 23rd, 2023, 8:36 pm)
SciOly at MIT
Tournament
Tournament
Has thanked: 0

Re: MIT Science Olympiad Invitational 2023

Post by SciOly at MIT »

Reminder that our event supervisor applications for the 2023 MIT Science Olympiad Invitational on January 21st, 2023 close at 11:59 PM EST on October 8th, 2022!

The application for first-time event supervisors (i.e. you haven’t supervised for MIT before) can be found at:
https://forms.gle/UAUKJpp1gycf5hjy8
The application for returning supervisors can be found at:
https://forms.gle/gmTdkB991JSvFviX9

Hope to see you apply!
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Hi all - I will be supervising Scrambler. If you are interested in meeting up to discuss design and how to improve you devices sometime today (Friday) or tomorrow before awards after the last time slot, please feel free to approach me. I think chatting after the last time slot before awards is ideal because I will have seen your device running and can provide specific feedback and suggestions.
Email is in signature.
Last edited by windu34 on January 20th, 2023, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pumptato-cat »

Does anyone have raw scores for top 10 Scrambler and Flight?
anything'll fly if you throw it hard enough
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

pumptato-cat wrote: January 21st, 2023, 4:39 pm Does anyone have raw scores for top 10 Scrambler and Flight?
Raw scores in some form will be released, but likely as histograms as done previously and not specific scores and teams.

I was the ES for Scrambler. I will not post raw scores or histograms until given permission from MIT SO. They might be providing it themselves. However, here are some general trends that I would want to know as a competitor that I believe are sufficient to understand where teams are currently at.
Distance was 10.85 meters.
There were no sub 10 scores. Top 6 was sub 25. Top 15 was sub 50.
I believe top 3 at nationals will be sub 10.
Last edited by windu34 on January 22nd, 2023, 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author windu34 for the post:
sneepity (January 23rd, 2023, 5:05 pm)
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Event Supervisor Review: Bridge

Tiers: Out of 67 registered teams, 61 presented devices of which 41 were in Tier 1, 28 were in Tier 2, and 6 were in Tier 3.

Scores: The winning score was 2777.78, with a structure mass of 7.20 g and holding all 15 kg. Tier 1 scores ranged from ~200-2,800, Tier 2 scores ranged from ~5-2300, and Tier 3 scores were all 0. Masses of Bridges ranged from 4.14 g to 1,700 g. Ten teams supported all 15 kg; six teams were very close, within 500 g of holding full load.

Comments/Observations:
  1. Contact Zones. A handful of teams built with the Contact Zones for Division B. Unlike the Contact Zones for Division B which are within a 10.0 cm width, for Division C they are outside of the 10.0 cm width. No parts of your Bridge can contact within the 10.0 cm width on each Test Support.
  2. Broken structures and setup. Several teams broke their own structures during setup, placing them in Tier 3. Become comfortable with setting up your structure, and if needed, take apart of the Loading Block to fit it in your structure more easily. I observed several teams struggling to fit the assembled Loading Block before trying again after disassembling.
  3. Loading Block Height. The vertical distance between the tops of the Test Supports and the bottom of the Loading Block is an awkward one to measure, especially on structures where the measurement is very close to 1.0 cm. Avoid the risk for a Construction Violation and an Event Supervisor needing to get really close to your Bridge by making this parameter obviously within specification.
  4. Building precision. As usual, a few teams built too close to parameters risking a huge penalty (Tier 2). I suggest accounting for at least several millimeters of error in your measurement tools and the competition day setup. Building too close to minimum or maximum specifications is a risky gamble. A 10.2 cm vs. 10.0 cm gap for where your Bridge contacts the Test Supports probably won't change your efficiency much, but the risk of a construction violation can change your rank by a lot.
  5. Miscellaneous. Many of the teams that held full load tested during the first hours, the second and third hours were when the most accidental bridge breaks occurred, and most loads shy of 15 kg were during the fifth hour.
bridge_2023_c_mit_scores-2.png
bridge_2023_c_mit_scores-2.png (165.32 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs

Return to “2023 Invitationals”