Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Forensics C

Post by bernard »

Question Marathons Explained

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
azboy1910
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Re: Forensics C

Post by azboy1910 »

I'll start this marathon off:

1. Identify the three main components of Benedict's solution and describe each of their purposes.
2. Identify the three types of impressions.
3. Identify the natural force that is responsible for the formation of passive bloodstains.
aakoala
Division: C
State: MI

Post by aakoala »

1. Had to search this one up, but it's actually pretty interesting! Copper (II) sulfate is used to test for reducing sugars. Under alkaline conditions, copper (II) ion is reduced to copper (I) ion, which precipitates as a red copper (I) oxide. Sodium citrate keeps the Cu2+ in solution, and sodium carbonate keeps the solution alkaline.
2. Latent, patent, plastic
3. Gravity
Let's take a glimpse at polymers!
1. How does condensation polymerization work? Give a plastic that is formed this way.
2. What polysaccharide is linen made of?
3. How might you distinguish cow hair from horse hair?
Userpage
22-23 Events:
Cell Biology
Dynamic Planet
Forensics
Remote Sensing
jaspattack
Division: Grad
State: MO

Post by jaspattack »

1. Condensation polymerization is a form of polymerization where monomers attach via a condensation reaction (releasing water). It's a form of step-growth polymerization, and an example of a plastic formed via condensation is PETE (polyethylene terepthalate).
2. Linen is made of cellulose.
3. I actually did a lot of research into this one, since it's one I think a lot of people struggle with. While the wiki states that cow hair typically has a thinner medulla than horse hair, I found a lot of papers and images that disagreed. Cow hair typically has a medullary index of 0.60 while horse hair has a medullary index of around 0.49 at least as described in this abstract. I think the size of the medulla is the main difference between the two, though the pattern of the cuticle scales may also differ as seen here. Guess I've got some more homework to do.

I'm not going to wait for someone to respond and tell me my answers are correct because i googled them and i know they are, cause I'm trying to bring this thread back. That means I've got 3 questions about blood right here:

1. Describe one way to distinguish between avian and reptilian blood.
2. Imagine for a moment that you are an infant. Your mother has type O blood, while your father has type AB blood. What is the probability that you share your mother's blood type? Explain how your answer.
3. Identify one blood grouping system outside of the ABO system. Hint: what's that pesky plus symbol mean?
CHS '21 // Mizzou '25 | Jaspattack's Userpage

2020-21 Events: Designer Genes, Forensics, Ornithology, Protein Modeling

I edit the wiki sometimes.

Return to “2023 Question Marathons”