bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Trajectory C

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Epicbanna4
Division: B
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Trajectory C

Post by Epicbanna4 »

Since the near target can be elevated to some degree, doesn't that mean the structure that is holding the near target at the elevated height could be an obstruction when launching towards a further target/bucket? Is this complication intentional or simply a byproduct of it? It seems like these new rules imply a very steep and upward initial trajectory.
xxmanacledxx
Division: C
State: IN

Post by xxmanacledxx »

What does “If requested, a bucket (=5 gallon size) . . .” on the Trajectory rules 6. Competition Area: f. mean?
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Teams can ask for a shot at the bucket if their first shot at a target lands within 50cm. Rules 5h and 7d.
droain
State: RI

Post by droain »

Hi all, for trajectory when we launch, can our launcher shoot towards the diagonal of the square restriction, or must it shoot towards a face? I have asked around, and no one has said that this diagonal orientation is illegal, but they have noted that they have never seen anything other than the regular square orientation. At the launch line, could we have our launcher orientated like ◇, or must it be like □? I hope I have phrased my question at least somewhat clearly haha.
SHMKPK
State: GA

Post by SHMKPK »

Am I allowed to build a ballista and then mount it onto a "tripod," allowing for it to move? Or would this be disqualified as most examples I've seen are on the floor?
Krish2007
State: TX

Post by Krish2007 »

droain wrote: December 20th, 2022, 11:18 am Hi all, for trajectory when we launch, can our launcher shoot towards the diagonal of the square restriction, or must it shoot towards a face? I have asked around, and no one has said that this diagonal orientation is illegal, but they have noted that they have never seen anything other than the regular square orientation. At the launch line, could we have our launcher orientated like ◇, or must it be like □? I hope I have phrased my question at least somewhat clearly haha.
Rule 3a, which specifies size, states that the 60 cm cube can be in any orientation chosen by the team, so orienting your launcher towards the diagonal is allowed as long as your device still fits within the 60 cm cube in some orientation. This means you can angle your device to face any angle, not just towards a diagonal or side.
SHMKPK wrote: December 30th, 2022, 8:26 am Am I allowed to build a ballista and then mount it onto a "tripod," allowing for it to move? Or would this be disqualified as most examples I've seen are on the floor?
As long as you don't break any construction parameters (be larger than a 60 cm cube, damage the floor, etc.), this is legal. The tripod would count as part of your device, so it would need to follow all construction parameters as well.
Seven Lakes High School '25
Beckendorff Junior High '21

Return to “Storm the Castle B/Trajectory C”