bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

2023 National Tournament: Wichita State University

Post by bernard »

Discussion for the 2023 National Tournament, to be held at the Wichita State University in Wichita, Kansas on May 18–20, 2023.
Last edited by bernard on September 5th, 2022, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author bernard for the post:
theskyistillred (September 21st, 2022, 2:23 pm)
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
TheMegaOceanNerd8
Division: B
State: NM
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2023 National Tournament: Wichita State University

Post by TheMegaOceanNerd8 »

Does anyone know what the nationals is like?
Galahad
State: HI

Post by Galahad »

TheMegaOceanNerd8 wrote: October 8th, 2022, 7:38 am Does anyone know what the nationals is like?
It's a really energetic atmosphere and they tend to keep the weekend filled with a ton of things to do. That being said, it usually varies from tournament to tournament as they're organized by different universities each year, but the structure remains the same:

Thurs: Science Expo's/Talks+Lectures
Fri: More Expo's+Activities/Opening Ceremony/Swap Meet
Sat: Competition Day/Award's Ceremony

There's a ton of opportunity to socialize, meet new people, and just have fun.
Finally an alumnus!

Highlands Intermediate School '16-'19
Pearl City High School '19-'22
DMAH '18-'22
UC Irvine '26

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Galahad
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pumptato-cat »

I hope I'm not getting off-topic here(If I am feel free to delete this comment, sorry mods!) but how do you get your team motivated? My team seems to be of the mindset that since NCSSM and Enloe exist, there's no point in trying for nats...I know we have the people to do it, and possibly the funding, but unlike other teams I see, mine isn't very close-knit, and the JV teams are pretty much on their own. For those of you that are on teams that are passionate about SciOly, why is your team like that?
Nats seems awesome and I want to try to make it there, but with my current team, I don't know that it's possible.
Last edited by pumptato-cat on November 27th, 2022, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anything'll fly if you throw it hard enough
Galahad
State: HI

Post by Galahad »

pumptato-cat wrote: November 27th, 2022, 7:26 pm I hope I'm not getting off-topic here(If I am feel free to delete this comment, sorry mods!) but how do you get your team motivated? My team seems to be of the mindset that since NCSSM and Enloe exist, there's no point in trying for nats...I know we have the people to do it, and possibly the funding, but unlike other teams I see, mine isn't very close-knit, and the JV teams are pretty much on their own. For those of you that are on teams that are passionate about SciOly, why is your team like that?
Nats seems awesome and I want to try to make it there, but with my current team, I don't know that it's possible.
When it comes to Hawaii, the thought of travelling tends to enthrall us because we typically never go out-of-state. Concerning the mindset, it's just about pushing the people and making Nationals something worth trying for for them. Each person is different and might want to go to Nats for a different reason (for the competition, prestige, college apps, etc), so you can't really do a presentation on Nationals and expect people to want to go. Talking one-on-one with teammates is something that I've found works, especially when you can convince them and get them excited. In your situation it sounds more like motivating them to believe that it's possible. It's not an easy task, but in essence you've got to try to change your team's culture from one that competes to one that competes to win.
Last edited by Galahad on November 28th, 2022, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Galahad for the post:
pumptato-cat (November 29th, 2022, 1:26 pm)
Finally an alumnus!

Highlands Intermediate School '16-'19
Pearl City High School '19-'22
DMAH '18-'22
UC Irvine '26

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Galahad
Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator
State: KS
Has thanked: 0

Post by Schrodingerscat »

Suppose I should offer that I went to Wichita State if anyone has any general questions I might or might not be able to answer. Caveats that I have no affiliation with the tournament, no plans to be there, and I haven't even been to Wichita since 2017. (Didn't realize it had been that long, maybe my offer isn't as useful after all, but still).
Last edited by Schrodingerscat on March 29th, 2023, 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bangtanarmy7
Division: C
State: AL
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by bangtanarmy7 »

Galahad wrote: November 27th, 2022, 6:37 pm
TheMegaOceanNerd8 wrote: October 8th, 2022, 7:38 am Does anyone know what the nationals is like?
It's a really energetic atmosphere and they tend to keep the weekend filled with a ton of things to do. That being said, it usually varies from tournament to tournament as they're organized by different universities each year, but the structure remains the same:

Does anyone know why the Expo's, Talks/Lectures, and Activities aren't there this year? We only have the Opening Ceremony and Swap Meet before the competition.
💜💜

"Sometimes clouds have two sides, a dark and light, and a silver lining in between. It's like a silver sandwich. So, when life seems hard, take a bite out of the silver sandwich."- Sokka
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Post by bernard »

bangtanarmy7 wrote: May 16th, 2023, 6:05 pm
Galahad wrote: November 27th, 2022, 6:37 pm

Does anyone know why the Expo's, Talks/Lectures, and Activities aren't there this year? We only have the Opening Ceremony and Swap Meet before the competition.
There is a page that mentions events being held on Friday: https://scienceolympiad2023.com/index.php/stem-expo/.
These users thanked the author bernard for the post:
bangtanarmy7 (May 17th, 2023, 2:27 pm)
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
jaspattack
State: MO

Post by jaspattack »

Good luck to those competing tomorrow! May the odds be ever in your favor and all that.
CHS '21 // Mizzou '25 | Jaspattack's Userpage

2020-21 Events: Designer Genes, Forensics, Ornithology, Protein Modeling

I edit the wiki sometimes.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Good luck to everyone competing tomorrow. It's been nice to see everyone back in-person after so long.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2023 Nationals”