Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Tournament Stories

Post by pumptato-cat »

I can't find any similar topics, so hopefully this hasn't already been discussed(if so, please remove my post mods).
Does anyone have any stories of fun experiences from in-person tournaments? Not limited to events--just anything, I guess?
I would start, but I don't have any memories from in-person tournaments if I'm being honest.
anything'll fly if you throw it hard enough
peton
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Been thanked: 0

Re: Tournament Stories

Post by peton »

pumptato-cat wrote: December 9th, 2022, 8:37 pm I can't find any similar topics, so hopefully this hasn't already been discussed(if so, please remove my post mods).
Does anyone have any stories of fun experiences from in-person tournaments? Not limited to events--just anything, I guess?
I would start, but I don't have any memories from in-person tournaments if I'm being honest.
On my first tournament, i was completely terrified the entire time.
onshape
State: VA
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by onshape »

pumptato-cat wrote: December 9th, 2022, 8:37 pm I can't find any similar topics, so hopefully this hasn't already been discussed(if so, please remove my post mods).
Well, this is extremely late, but my first event I ever competed in was this year's Environmental Chemistry at Regionals. I totally chose this event for the "environmental" part but it was super fun. I probably did 1 hour of studying but my partner managed to get us through. The serial dilutions were honestly not as bad as I thought they would be though I'm extremely scared of chemicals even though they're not harmful. Our event supervisors were super helpful and forgiving, and, as my first event, I'm actually kind of impressed that we managed to get 11th at regionals! Not a feat, of course, but considering how unprepared we were, all I can say was it was a really fun experience!

By the way, I see you everywhere around the forums and love how addicted to this website you are! (:
"I know two kinds of audiences only - one coughing, and one not coughing." -Artur Schnabel
"In the beginning was rhythm." -Hans von Bulow
"The art of music entombed a rich possession, but even far fairer hopes." -Franz Grillparzer
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pumptato-cat »

Haha thanks onshape! I don't think the addiction is as bad as it used to be last summer(at one point I had read every Flight and Scrambler forum from 2010-2022), but it's still going strong.
I finally thought of a memory. During the night before the States tournament, my team went out for ramen together(well, half my team. The other half was off doing god knows what). After we finished, my teammate had the absolutely brilliant idea to toss himself in a shopping cart in the middle of the parking lot. We then spent the next 30 minutes running around, screaming, and pushing team members in the shopping cart around an empty parking lot at around 10:30PM. I'm not sure why I found this so funny, but I still do. Picture 8 kids doing the conga line with the shopping cart in front...
(Don't worry, it was safe. We had parents with us. Don't try this unless you have crazy teammates and a parent nearby!!!)
bangtanarmy7
State: AL

Post by bangtanarmy7 »

pumptato-cat wrote: February 26th, 2023, 9:48 am Haha thanks onshape! I don't think the addiction is as bad as it used to be last summer(at one point I had read every Flight and Scrambler forum from 2010-2022), but it's still going strong.
I finally thought of a memory. During the night before the States tournament, my team went out for ramen together(well, half my team. The other half was off doing god knows what). After we finished, my teammate had the absolutely brilliant idea to toss himself in a shopping cart in the middle of the parking lot. We then spent the next 30 minutes running around, screaming, and pushing team members in the shopping cart around an empty parking lot at around 10:30PM. I'm not sure why I found this so funny, but I still do. Picture 8 kids doing the conga line with the shopping cart in front...
(Don't worry, it was safe. We had parents with us. Don't try this unless you have crazy teammates and a parent nearby!!!)
This reminded me of the time when my team (80% Indians/Asians) was coming back from state last year and, without planning, about 13/15 of us went to the same restaraunt 💀💀.
💜💜

"Sometimes clouds have two sides, a dark and light, and a silver lining in between. It's like a silver sandwich. So, when life seems hard, take a bite out of the silver sandwich."- Sokka
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pumptato-cat »

Oh my gosh HELLO ATLA PERSON! Sokka has the best quotes ever.
Yeah, at regionals I went to Chipotles for lunch and ran into my entire Varsity team, haha! The boba shop though. Now THAT was crowded. I'm almost certain they made more money that day than in an entire week...
Dylan6415
Division: B
State: TX

Post by Dylan6415 »

Oh yeah the boba, almost every tourny there HAD to be at least one place selling boba, and every time i went there there was like 50 people queuing for boba.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

pumptato-cat wrote: February 26th, 2023, 12:39 pm Oh my gosh HELLO ATLA PERSON! Sokka has the best quotes ever.
Yeah, at regionals I went to Chipotles for lunch and ran into my entire Varsity team, haha!
That happens. After State pre-pandemic, we all let out a loud cheer when the third school walked in to the same Chipotle for dinner...

Return to “General Chat”