bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Chemistry Lab C

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
onshape
Division: C
State: VA
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Re: Chemistry Lab C

Post by onshape »

Hi, I'm pretty good on general chemistry concepts but have never taken AP Chem or even regular Chem. Do you think it would be too much to jump to Unit 4 (Chemical Reactions) of AP Chem videos? They seem to directly align with Redox Reactions. I'm a pretty strong learner and would try as hard as possible to learn something after it's presented to me, but if they have obvious prerequisites, I might not be able to accomplish these goals. For reference, I'm taking Algebra II this year so I would be able to understand general algebra but not really advanced algebra concepts such as logarithms or any calculus concepts for that matter. Another reference: I've been through most of the Unit 1 AP Chemistry content as well and understand that stuff well enough.
"I know two kinds of audiences only - one coughing, and one not coughing." -Artur Schnabel
"In the beginning was rhythm." -Hans von Bulow
"The art of music entombed a rich possession, but even far fairer hopes." -Franz Grillparzer
Adi1008
State: CA

Post by Adi1008 »

onshape wrote: January 28th, 2023, 3:51 pm Hi, I'm pretty good on general chemistry concepts but have never taken AP Chem or even regular Chem. Do you think it would be too much to jump to Unit 4 (Chemical Reactions) of AP Chem videos? They seem to directly align with Redox Reactions. I'm a pretty strong learner and would try as hard as possible to learn something after it's presented to me, but if they have obvious prerequisites, I might not be able to accomplish these goals. For reference, I'm taking Algebra II this year so I would be able to understand general algebra but not really advanced algebra concepts such as logarithms or any calculus concepts for that matter. Another reference: I've been through most of the Unit 1 AP Chemistry content as well and understand that stuff well enough.
If you are in Algebra II right now, I think you'll be able to teach yourself the basics of logarithms without too much trouble. Most Chemistry Lab tests don't use math more complicated than that, so you don't have to worry about calculus or anything of the sort. I think your math background will be perfectly fine for the event.

I don't know what the "units" are in AP Chemistry anymore, since I took the course ~6 years ago, so can't give any meaningful advice there.
These users thanked the author Adi1008 for the post:
onshape (February 5th, 2023, 6:14 pm)
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
Jehosaphat
State: MI

Post by Jehosaphat »

onshape wrote: January 28th, 2023, 3:51 pm Hi, I'm pretty good on general chemistry concepts but have never taken AP Chem or even regular Chem. Do you think it would be too much to jump to Unit 4 (Chemical Reactions) of AP Chem videos? They seem to directly align with Redox Reactions. I'm a pretty strong learner and would try as hard as possible to learn something after it's presented to me, but if they have obvious prerequisites, I might not be able to accomplish these goals. For reference, I'm taking Algebra II this year so I would be able to understand general algebra but not really advanced algebra concepts such as logarithms or any calculus concepts for that matter. Another reference: I've been through most of the Unit 1 AP Chemistry content as well and understand that stuff well enough.
Honestly, I would make sure you go through unit 2 first. I just took a quick look at the units, but knowing molecular structure and properties is huge for properly understanding reactions. You could understand the surface level of Redox without it, but actually comprehending what is going on will help you on almost every test you take.
These users thanked the author Jehosaphat for the post:
onshape (February 5th, 2023, 6:14 pm)
Waiting for the return of Ecology all by myself
HHS '22
Hope '26
panzerbear
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Going to states... Re: Chemistry Lab C

Post by panzerbear »

Anyone have any ideas for possible labs for the chem lab event? We had lemons at regionals...
jaah5211
State: FL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Going to states... Re: Chemistry Lab C

Post by jaah5211 »

panzerbear wrote: February 12th, 2023, 12:03 pm Anyone have any ideas for possible labs for the chem lab event? We had lemons at regionals...
The most common one I can think of is redox titration. However, there could be labs regarding activity series, bond strengths, and so on.

Return to “2023 Lab Events”