Scrambler C

BobaTeaTastesGood
Division: C
State: NC
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Scrambler C

Post by BobaTeaTastesGood »

Is anyone else using a launcher with rubber (like the Wright Stuff kind)? I believe there's a picture somewhere on the Best of Nationals.
Anyways, I'm having a nightmare testing different lengths, thicknesses, # loops, etc. because it's almost impossible to keep the rubber from tangling whenever I change it out. Right now I'm using two keychain rings at the end of each loop to keep track of everything, but it's still a huge hassle to switch rubbers.

Also, if the release mechanism on my launcher (or my weight) swings outside of the 75x75x50 dimensions during launch, does it count as a violation? It still fits inside the box at the ready-to-launch. It's not part of my design for the weight to swing out, it just kind of does that sometimes.
yoasobi and beabadoobee enjoyer
SixteenthSakura
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Post by SixteenthSakura »

randoscioly8 wrote: January 19th, 2023, 10:25 am Can you drill holes for the dowels on the egg holder in the backstop?
you can't because the rules state the surface should be flat with no holes
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

SixteenthSakura wrote: January 30th, 2023, 8:03 pm
randoscioly8 wrote: January 19th, 2023, 10:25 am Can you drill holes for the dowels on the egg holder in the backstop?
you can't because the rules state the surface should be flat with no holes
Yes, you can drill holes, and it would be normal to drill holes. The rules say "no unfilled holes". These holes are filled with the dowels that the rules require.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

windu34 wrote: January 29th, 2023, 6:27 pm I always use laser distance measurement tools for both measuring at competition and when i used to practice. You can get a good one for <$30 on amazon. Tape measure works too though.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=laser+measur ... doa-p_2_11
I have access to a laser range measuring device, but I always mess up and push the button that changes the reference point on the device by mistake, so randomly get measurements that are wrong by the length of the device.

It's harder to make a mistake with a tape measure!
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pumptato-cat »

BobaTeaTastesGood wrote: January 30th, 2023, 7:19 pm Is anyone else using a launcher with rubber (like the Wright Stuff kind)? I believe there's a picture somewhere on the Best of Nationals.
Anyways, I'm having a nightmare testing different lengths, thicknesses, # loops, etc. because it's almost impossible to keep the rubber from tangling whenever I change it out. Right now I'm using two keychain rings at the end of each loop to keep track of everything, but it's still a huge hassle to switch rubbers.

Also, if the release mechanism on my launcher (or my weight) swings outside of the 75x75x50 dimensions during launch, does it count as a violation? It still fits inside the box at the ready-to-launch. It's not part of my design for the weight to swing out, it just kind of does that sometimes.
Hmmm. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the restrictions only apply to "ready-to-launch" position? That should be okay.
When I change rubber I just cut it-I'm using my broken motors from Flight. Depending on your design it may be easier to change slack in your string system to adjust speed before trying to replace the rubber. Maybe try a lobster clasp system so you can remove your rubber without cutting it? (clasps may be flimsy though)...
Personally, I've not tested much rubber--speed doesn't really matter this year from what windu34 and the others have been saying.
These users thanked the author pumptato-cat for the post:
BobaTeaTastesGood (February 6th, 2023, 8:39 am)
anything'll fly if you throw it hard enough
anshudesai
State: NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by anshudesai »

Am I allowed to use 3D printed wheels?
mnoga
State: CA

Post by mnoga »

knightmoves wrote: January 27th, 2023, 5:06 am
pumptato-cat wrote: January 26th, 2023, 4:31 pm Thanks windu!
How are you guys timing/measuring? I take videos but they are hard to measure time with. For measuring i measure from egg to wall but it's kinda hard because of the curve of the egg-anyone got an easier way?
Stopwatch. We've always found stopwatch plus watching the vehicle to be more useful than video in the usual case.

For the distance, we use a carpenter's square standing on the floor to translate the point of the egg to the ground, and measure from the target point with a measuring tape on the ground.
I use a 1 inch x 1 inch block that's about 6 inches tall. I put one edge of the block on the tip of the egg with the block standing on the floor, then below on the floor I use a small piece of tape to point to the edge of the block. This method works well unless the egg is very close to the target. For those I use the edge of a ruler projected down to the floor.
CypherKat

Post by CypherKat »

What are you guys using as hooks on the back of the vehicle. We had a dowel glued on but it snapped off just now. What’s a better thing to attach, our comp is Saturday and it was driving really good before it snapped so any suggestions asap would be great. Thanks
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

CypherKat wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 3:07 pm What are you guys using as hooks on the back of the vehicle. We had a dowel glued on but it snapped off just now. What’s a better thing to attach, our comp is Saturday and it was driving really good before it snapped so any suggestions asap would be great. Thanks
A dowel. It doesn't have to be very long. If yours snapped, can you drill it out and put a bigger dowel in?

Wait - you say "glued on"?

You're not trying to glue a dowel to a flat surface, and the glue sheared off, are you?

Drill a hole, insert the dowel, and glue.
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pumptato-cat »

In rule 4 d., what does that request? Should I label every single component for my design log with measurements? Or is uploading an STL file acceptable(for the ETV-the launcher I don't have in cad)? Because aren't dimensions technically included in your design log if you've got an STL? I'm not looking forward to drawing and labelling every part if that's the only option :/
Last edited by pumptato-cat on February 3rd, 2023, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anything'll fly if you throw it hard enough

Return to “Scrambler C”