Easiest event for you? Opinions! :3

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Richard323
Has thanked: 0

Re: Easiest event for you? Opinions! :3

Post by Richard323 »

Geology!
onshape
Division: C
State: VA
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by onshape »

If anyone still checks this thread, I would say Green Generation! It's basically general envi sci concepts from middle school and there's nothing conceptual about it.
"I know two kinds of audiences only - one coughing, and one not coughing." -Artur Schnabel
"In the beginning was rhythm." -Hans von Bulow
"The art of music entombed a rich possession, but even far fairer hopes." -Franz Grillparzer
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by BennyTheJett »

onshape wrote: February 7th, 2023, 6:56 am If anyone still checks this thread, I would say Green Generation! It's basically general envi sci concepts from middle school and there's nothing conceptual about it.
I'm here! Green Gen is a fun event, though I prefer earth science. Now that I'm an alum and am writing tests, Rocks and Minerals is the easiest event for me to write for.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pumptato-cat »

Any build event. I flunk study events !!
anything'll fly if you throw it hard enough
onshape

Post by onshape »

pumptato-cat wrote: February 7th, 2023, 5:14 pm Any build event. I flunk study events !!
I'd probably be terrible at a lot of the builds like It's About Time, Mission Possible, etc. I think the only builds I would be able to do are the balsa ones, Scrambler, and Detector Building.
"I know two kinds of audiences only - one coughing, and one not coughing." -Artur Schnabel
"The art of music entombed a rich possession, but even far fairer hopes." -Franz Grillparzer
Jehosaphat
Division: Grad
State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Jehosaphat »

For some reason, back in middle school, ecology just came so easily to me. It was the first event I was ever in, and also the only event I ever placed at states in. Kinda weird
Waiting for the return of Ecology all by myself
HHS '22
Hope '26
onshape

Post by onshape »

Jehosaphat wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 1:39 pm For some reason, back in middle school, ecology just came so easily to me. It was the first event I was ever in, and also the only event I ever placed at states in. Kinda weird
Similar to that, we only started studying for Green Gen a couple days before the event and managed to place in regionals. This is my first year doing SciOly and I feel like Green Gen is just applied school knowledge.
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pumptato-cat »

onshape wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 6:52 am
pumptato-cat wrote: February 7th, 2023, 5:14 pm Any build event. I flunk study events !!
I'd probably be terrible at a lot of the builds like It's About Time, Mission Possible, etc. I think the only builds I would be able to do are the balsa ones, Scrambler, and Detector Building.
Ohhh gosh. Scrambler LOOKS easy. It SOUNDS easy. But try to build one and well...
Let's just say that as a person who has 3 years of experience in vehicle events, Scrambler was so ANNOYING this year. Short fall height, tiny dimensions, etc. made the car and launcher a pain to design and calibrate. Maybe that's a skill issue, but it's so much worse than it sounds on the rules sheet...
onshape

Post by onshape »

pumptato-cat wrote: February 26th, 2023, 4:34 pm
onshape wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 6:52 am
Ohhh gosh. Scrambler LOOKS easy. It SOUNDS easy. But try to build one and well...
Let's just say that as a person who has 3 years of experience in vehicle events, Scrambler was so ANNOYING this year. Short fall height, tiny dimensions, etc. made the car and launcher a pain to design and calibrate. Maybe that's a skill issue, but it's so much worse than it sounds on the rules sheet...
Interesting! I think the thing with the build events is that they all sound easy, and then end up being difficult because of the grueling rules manual. I feel like that's the most important thing to start with - I'm pretty sure we would've gotten a medal for Bridge if it wasn't for getting tier 2'd for being 1 cm too small.

My team pulled off a Scrambler medal by hard work, but I feel that it might've also been luck partially after you described your troubling experiences!
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pumptato-cat »

Oh for sure--I guess it's relatively easy to medal depending on how competitive your region/state is. I'm an overachiever so I always calibrate my devices almost to perfection. But this year, 2nd place JV in my region was like 4 meters off... and that was a silver medal. So I don't think your team got lucky--it's not hard to medal in this event assuming you're not in SoCal or something... It's always easy to build a bridge or a plane, but making it perform well is a whole different story.

Return to “General Competition”