What is the hardest event?

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
NewSciolyer
Division: C
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What is the hardest event?

Post by NewSciolyer »

Mission Possible definitely. Don't know if it's only our team, but its not very reliable and hard to get everything to work 100% of the time.
Frost0125
State: NC
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Frost0125 »

Density Lab because I don't like doing math more than I have to
2020/2021 Events: Chem Lab, Codebusters, Experimental Design, Fast Facts
Frost0125
State: NC

Post by Frost0125 »

NewSciolyer wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 3:29 pm Mission Possible definitely. Don't know if it's only our team, but its not very reliable and hard to get everything to work 100% of the time.
I know some people who call it mission impossible, so it's not just your team who has trouble. :lol:
2020/2021 Events: Chem Lab, Codebusters, Experimental Design, Fast Facts
onshape
State: VA
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by onshape »

Forensics because of the time crunch and the lab specifics.
"I know two kinds of audiences only - one coughing, and one not coughing." -Artur Schnabel
"In the beginning was rhythm." -Hans von Bulow
"The art of music entombed a rich possession, but even far fairer hopes." -Franz Grillparzer
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pumptato-cat »

I can't focus on Anatomy for more than 2 sec at a time. :/
anything'll fly if you throw it hard enough
D39IJ11
Division: B
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by D39IJ11 »

I would say that Anatomy might be the hardest in division B.
Design 39 Campus student
7th grader
Space science is the best!
D39IJ11's Userpage
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Which event is hardest very much depends on the individual. Anatomy & Physiology has a lot of subject knowledge in it. Density Lab (mentioned earlier) is basically an "are you good at math and physics" event - there's really nothing to learn. Being good at, for example, Flight, takes a different kind of skill.

One way of defining "hardest" might be "which event requires the most work on top of your normal school studies. By that count, Chem Lab is easy, because it's a subset of AP Chemistry, so anyone who takes AP Chem gets it for free, whereas the ID events (Ornithology / Herpetology / Forestry) are almost entirely outside most people's normal school studies.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

blue cobra wrote: April 16th, 2009, 3:19 pm Hardest study/lab event: probably Crave the Wave because the topic is so broad and you need to know specifics about each of the many topics. As well, you don't really know what will be thrown at you. The test could be all about light waves or only about diffraction while completely skipping over other topics.
This is a reasonable comment. You're required to have "at least one question from each topic area", but that one question might be a single multiple-choice question. And basically all of Crave the Wave involves study beyond a typical middle school science class, so you don't get any freebies.

A good test will cover the whole range of topics, but of course you don't always get good tests.

(My pet hate in terms of tests are the ones that expect you to know stupid bits of trivia. Given that we're talking about Crave the Wave, knowing that the speed of sound varies in different gasses, and why, is science. Knowing to the nearest mph the speed of sound in Helium at standard temperature and pressure is irrelevant. Anybody who needs to know that number looks it up.)
onshape
State: VA
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by onshape »

knightmoves wrote: February 9th, 2023, 10:12 am Which event is hardest very much depends on the individual. Anatomy & Physiology has a lot of subject knowledge in it. Density Lab (mentioned earlier) is basically an "are you good at math and physics" event - there's really nothing to learn. Being good at, for example, Flight, takes a different kind of skill.

One way of defining "hardest" might be "which event requires the most work on top of your normal school studies. By that count, Chem Lab is easy, because it's a subset of AP Chemistry, so anyone who takes AP Chem gets it for free, whereas the ID events (Ornithology / Herpetology / Forestry) are almost entirely outside most people's normal school studies.
True, but freshmen like me might find Forestry significantly easier since they've never taken AP Chem or even high school chem for that matter. I would say that Green Generation C is easy for everyone because it's embedded into middle school study. Anyways, please disregard this post, as I'm getting off topic here and there's another forum for easiest event.
"I know two kinds of audiences only - one coughing, and one not coughing." -Artur Schnabel
"In the beginning was rhythm." -Hans von Bulow
"The art of music entombed a rich possession, but even far fairer hopes." -Franz Grillparzer
BlueVireo
Division: B
State: OR

Post by BlueVireo »

For me it's fossils, but forestry is also pretty hard if you don't have a photographic/near photographic memory

Return to “General Competition”