Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Crime Busters B

Post by bernard »

These users thanked the author bernard for the post:
drcubbin (November 2nd, 2022, 7:19 am)
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
bangtanarmy7
Division: C
State: AL
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by bangtanarmy7 »

For the fibers on the test, is it specific to some tournaments on whether we have to identify animal, vegetable, and synthetic vs. each individual fiber, or does it just depend on the creators of the test?
These users thanked the author bangtanarmy7 for the post:
drcubbin (November 2nd, 2022, 7:18 am)
💜💜

"Sometimes clouds have two sides, a dark and light, and a silver lining in between. It's like a silver sandwich. So, when life seems hard, take a bite out of the silver sandwich."- Sokka
azboy1910
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by azboy1910 »

bangtanarmy7 wrote: September 15th, 2022, 3:47 pm For the fibers on the test, is it specific to some tournaments on whether we have to identify animal, vegetable, and synthetic vs. each individual fiber, or does it just depend on the creators of the test?
According to the rules, test writers should only be asking for whether a fiber is animal, vegetable, or synthetic. However, since some test writers don't abide by this rule, I suggest learning about specific types of fibers. This will also likely help you with any general questions about fibers as well.
These users thanked the author azboy1910 for the post (total 2):
bangtanarmy7 (September 15th, 2022, 6:36 pm) • drcubbin (November 2nd, 2022, 7:18 am)
EllaYu
Division: B
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0

Post by EllaYu »

On the wiki it says "No loose fitting pants". Wasn't it no tight fitting pants last year?
These users thanked the author EllaYu for the post:
drcubbin (November 2nd, 2022, 7:19 am)
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

EllaYu wrote: September 30th, 2022, 12:48 pm On the wiki it says "No loose fitting pants". Wasn't it no tight fitting pants last year?
Most chem labs have a rule about no skintight pants, leggings etc. The Crime Busters rules also say "pants should be loose fitting".

It's a safety thing - if you spill something on your pants, it will tend to run off loose pants, and will tend to wick through tight pants. Similarly, you should wear closed-toed shoes, so your footwear doesn't look like a scoop to capture any chemical spill and carry it directly to your foot.
These users thanked the author knightmoves for the post:
drcubbin (November 2nd, 2022, 7:18 am)
drcubbin

Post by drcubbin »

bangtanarmy7 wrote: September 15th, 2022, 3:47 pm For the fibers on the test, is it specific to some tournaments on whether we have to identify animal, vegetable, and synthetic vs. each individual fiber, or does it just depend on the creators of the test?
Be prepared to differentiate between types of fibers (animal, vegetable, and synthetic) as well as being able to differentiate between examples of each. For example, you may (or may not!) not need to specifically identify by name - fibers such as rayon, nylon, polyester or acrylic, but make sure you practice enough so you are able to identify any of these as a synthetic fiber.
drcubbin

Post by drcubbin »

EllaYu wrote: September 30th, 2022, 12:48 pm On the wiki it says "No loose fitting pants". Wasn't it no tight fitting pants last year?
I don't see where it says that on Wiki, but - for as long as I have supervised chemistry events - it has ALWAYS been NO TIGHT FITTING PANTS. And remember to cover ALL SKIN except hands and face. I do not recommend gloves as you lose a certain "tactile" ability, but that is just my own personal preference. There is no requirement for wearing gloves.
Sorrow2
State: KS

Post by Sorrow2 »

any good crimebusters website i can study?
I wake up. its only me. I look at my reflection, its only me. I've only woke up to me and only me. no one with me.
its fine. perfectly fine.
azboy1910
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by azboy1910 »

Sorrow2 wrote: December 14th, 2022, 2:10 pm any good crimebusters website i can study?
Hello, if you scroll to the bottom of the wiki page for Crime Busters, there are some helpful websites you can use. The FBI's website and Wikipedia are also helpful resources.
Last edited by azboy1910 on December 14th, 2022, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author azboy1910 for the post:
Sorrow2 (December 14th, 2022, 7:46 pm)
doglover123
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by doglover123 »

Hi all, according to the rules, each participant can bring their own cheat sheet. Wasn't sure if that means that we could split a cheat sheet and make it 2 pages. our coach said for regionals it was safer to have each of us have our own cheat sheet so we don't fail if the event supervisor only allows one.

should we split it and bring a backup, or should we just have each one of us bring our own?

Return to “2023 Lab Events”