sachleen
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0

RSS feeds for forums

Post by sachleen »

I wanted to keep up with the forum with RSS feeds, but the forum doesn't display a good way of doing that... so I'll share that if you view page source on any page, towards the top it gives you various feeds you can subscribe to.

For example I wanted to subscribe to Build Events > Scrambler C so I went to that page, view source, and found

Code: Select all

<link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="Feed - Forum - Scrambler C" href="/forums/app.php/feed/forum/415">
From searching online, this may be configurable in phpBB settings or the theme to show links on the page that users can click on to make it easier to find.. If one of the admins wouldn't mind taking a peek to see if its easy to enable that would be nice.
Riflens
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: RSS feeds for forums

Post by Riflens »

can you please write more details how to customize RSS?
jaspattack
State: MO

Post by jaspattack »

sachleen wrote: March 21st, 2023, 3:19 pm I wanted to keep up with the forum with RSS feeds, but the forum doesn't display a good way of doing that... so I'll share that if you view page source on any page, towards the top it gives you various feeds you can subscribe to.

For example I wanted to subscribe to Build Events > Scrambler C so I went to that page, view source, and found

Code: Select all

<link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="Feed - Forum - Scrambler C" href="/forums/app.php/feed/forum/415">
From searching online, this may be configurable in phpBB settings or the theme to show links on the page that users can click on to make it easier to find.. If one of the admins wouldn't mind taking a peek to see if its easy to enable that would be nice.
Thanks for sharing! We're also looking at ways to integrate an RSS feed of the forums with Discord, but this will be really helpful (especially for people who just want to follow a few threads). I've sent this thread to Bernard to see what can get done.
CHS '21 // Mizzou '25 | Jaspattack's Userpage

2020-21 Events: Designer Genes, Forensics, Ornithology, Protein Modeling

I edit the wiki sometimes.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Thanks, jaspattack, for sharing, and thanks sachleen and Riflens for your interest in this feature.

I've looked into our configuration and we do have all the possible built-in settings enabled. I am open to considering modifications or other integrations but want to make sure I'm understanding your desired functionality correctly. Are you looking for an easier way to locate all of the possible feed links that would follow the page you're currently on? A dropdown of sorts that allows users to more easily access the feed link without having to go into the page source?
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs

Return to “General Chat”