Prediction Contest 2023

pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Prediction Contest 2023

Post by pumptato-cat »

True--I suppose that by saying "improper" I meant less-than-ideal conditions? It's definitely not wrong to run RC with a surface that is not level, and I didn't mean to imply that. Good point.
As for WV, you could argue that it was run improperly because not all teams received the same disadvantage. I'm not sure if the rules state that the track must be smooth, though. Haven't read them in a while.
anything'll fly if you throw it hard enough
bagman78
State: LA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bagman78 »

Div C total medal count:
Teams that finished 31-60 won 5 medals.
21-30 won 23 medals
11-20 won 34 medals
1-10 won 66 medals
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

pumptato-cat wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 4:39 pm As for WV, you could argue that it was run improperly because not all teams received the same disadvantage. I'm not sure if the rules state that the track must be smooth, though. Haven't read them in a while.
I'm trying to answer this without saying "level playing field", but I'm going to fail miserably ;)

In practice, WV and the other car events are run on whatever surface the host has available. Usually it's a gym, but I've done car events in corridors, and on cafeteria floors. The rules probably say something about smooth and hard, because it would be a disaster if someone tried to run it on carpet, or on tiles with ridges. But it sounds like (correct me if I'm wrong) this was an imperfection in an otherwise smooth floor that the ES didn't notice while setting up the tracks.

Did anyone ask for arbitration, saying that this particular track wasn't smooth, and they wanted a do-over? If there was an obvious problem with one track, then that would seem like a reasonable remedy.
Last edited by knightmoves on May 23rd, 2023, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author knightmoves for the post:
rfscoach (August 1st, 2023, 12:45 pm)
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pumptato-cat »

No, not that I know of(I was not there). However, I heard multiple complaints about the track from friends who did go. Apparently the vehicle "bounced" when hitting the track.
BlueVireo
Division: B
State: OR
Been thanked: 0

Post by BlueVireo »

After watching the awards ceremony, I honestly thought that Solon would get first...looks like they didn't do as well in the events they didn't medal in. And SV--there was a 30-something in Wheeled Vehicle--if they instead got 1st or 2nd, they would have been 1st overall.
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pumptato-cat »

30th and 1st is quite a gap. I suppose we all get unlucky though... Especially with build events(I managed to bomb two at states this year. whoops).

Return to “2023 Nationals”