Materials List

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
LizHerz
Division: B
State: IA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Materials List

Post by LizHerz »

Hey All - another teacher and I are starting a Division B team at our school in central Iowa. We are hoping to write a grant to get supplies to help the students prepare. What materials do you use all the time? What materials do you wish you had? What materials in general would you recommend? Thanks a ton!
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX

Re: Materials List

Post by harryk »

Well, by far the most material-using stuff will be supplies for building events(wood, hardware, etc) but we usually just leave that up to the students to supply for their own devices. For everything else you should go through each event and make a list of stuff needed(I'm not currently familiar with the B events, but for an example Chem Lab requires you to bring your own equipment) but for the most part you won't need that much, the competition usually provides everything. For certain you will need things like computer paper and binders, for making in-competition resources. If you are bran new to Science Olympiad then I'd suggest taking a look at the stuff in the online storehttp://store.soinc.org/, they can be very helpful to new teams who have no experience
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
haverstall
State: MN

Post by haverstall »

Whenever we go to a competition, one of the teachers is always ready w/ scientific calculators, splash goggles, and aprons. Hopefully your school already has these materials, but if not, these are easily the most important resources. Most of the times, students forget about the safety stuff until the very end, and so when a teacher is supplying these items, it's one less thing for the kids to worry about.
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni
A Person
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by A Person »

For building events (ones I'm in) require many things, but most of the time students buy their own equipment except for Battery buggy for some reason
In my eye Lab events tend to require the most because the students need to practice.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
fmtiger124
State: NY

Post by fmtiger124 »

When going to a competition, I find it useful to always bring some sort of power drill, glue, screws, balsa etc. In general stuff that can save your building events if they break. One year, my scrambler launcher broke on the ride over and the only reason we saved it was because one of our coaches lived close by. If she hadn't, it would have been a disaster.
celinedion
Division: B
State: UT
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by celinedion »

Stock up on materials such as balsa wood, glue, tape, string, rubber bands, and other construction supplies. It's also helpful to have tools like scissors, rulers, and small hand tools.mapquest driving directions
pumptato-cat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pumptato-cat »

Save money for plane kits. They're expensive, as are other materials for Flight(winder, torque meter, Tan SS rubber, etc).
Avoid purchasing items early on in the season for build events that are not absolute necessities. For example, don't buy some 1/8" thick balsa. You don't know if your students will ever use it, and it's best to wait until the rules come out, and then purchase. The same goes for most build events(another example: Flight--the rubber sizes for the plane change from year to year based on the rules).
Purchase necessities such as what others have stated before me(so, safety goggles, hardware such as but not limited to a drill/saw, etc). Supplies such as field guides for the ID events(identification--Rocks and Minerals, Fossils, Forestry, etc) would be helpful, too. I'm not familiar with other events besides builds/ID so I can't help more than that--good luck!
"etc" is bolded because the lists I have provided are examples, not complete lists.
Whoa, just realized how old this is. Maybe it'll help someone else even if the original poster didn't see it though, haha!
Last edited by pumptato-cat on May 30th, 2023, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anything'll fly if you throw it hard enough

Return to “General Competition”