Tentative 2024 Events

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Sapphire
Division: C
State: MI

Re: Tentative 2024 Events

Post by Sapphire »

brian9640 wrote: May 15th, 2023, 11:04 am I can tell you the $50 to $100 is correct for Robot Tour... The current high end robot going to nationals is just under $100.
I think part of that can be attributed to robot tour being a trial event so top teams didn't dedicate much time to it. I'm predicting that top robots next year will vacuum themselves to the floor to reduce traction loss and use LiDAR to avoid crashing into the obstacles and for odometry correction. We'll definitely see some pretty fancy robots at nationals next year (I hope to see a swerve or crab drive), though to be fair, that's true for any build event, and it's certainly true that a robot under $100 could be made HIGHLY competitive.
brian9640 wrote: May 15th, 2023, 11:04 am I'm part of the group writing the rules and testing the event for the past years.
Can you please clarify why teams are punished for being under the target time and if there's anything stopping them from just spinning in circles to stall before stopping at the target point?
Pioneer High School
brian9640
State: OH

Post by brian9640 »

Sapphire wrote: May 26th, 2023, 5:19 pm Can you please clarify why teams are punished for being under the target time and if there's anything stopping them from just spinning in circles to stall before stopping at the target point?
Good question. The event is based on real life AGV (Automated Guided Vehicle) robots which are used in large warehouses to delivery goods for shipment. When we program these robots, we are limited on speed for several reasons. Moving too fast can cause major issues. That same real life limitation has been applied to this event as part of the scoring. Robot Tour is very close to a real life robot application. Teams are basically building miniature low-cost AGV robots that navigate a track which has similar objectives and challenges of the real life AGV warehouse applications I have programmed.

To answer your 2nd question, the rule committee has seen the stalling action you mentioned. There should be a rule addition for next year to eliminate similar actions for stalling.
ImASciolyKid
Division: B
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Been thanked: 0

Post by ImASciolyKid »

Is this guaranteed or is it just a theory
Jehosaphat
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by Jehosaphat »

ImASciolyKid wrote: June 1st, 2023, 4:15 am Is this guaranteed or is it just a theory
Technically theory, but many events are on a standard rotation so we can be certain those events are coming back. Trial events from recent years also offer some hints. Overall, this list isn't going to change for more than one or two events.
These users thanked the author Jehosaphat for the post:
ImASciolyKid (March 17th, 2024, 10:21 am)
Waiting for the return of Ecology all by myself
HHS '22
Hope '26
kman1234t
State: CA

Post by kman1234t »

Events and topics (now less tentative)! (Source - a photo taken at a conference after nationals, sent on the scioly.org discord server)
events and topics.png
events and topics.png (78.82 KiB) Viewed 1748 times
IMG_7255.jpg
IMG_7255.jpg (507.83 KiB) Viewed 1748 times
These users thanked the author kman1234t for the post (total 3):
Jehosaphat (June 1st, 2023, 11:40 am) • Sapphire (June 1st, 2023, 12:16 pm) • mp875 (June 3rd, 2023, 8:32 am)
onshape
Division: C
State: VA
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by onshape »

YESS TECTONICS
what's the three topics in dynamic planet for, though?
"I know two kinds of audiences only - one coughing, and one not coughing." -Artur Schnabel
"In the beginning was rhythm." -Hans von Bulow
"The art of music entombed a rich possession, but even far fairer hopes." -Franz Grillparzer
kman1234t
State: CA

Post by kman1234t »

onshape wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 6:09 am YESS TECTONICS
what's the three topics in dynamic planet for, though?
It looks like it's a combination of the old Earthquakes and Volcanoes topic, and the recent Tectonics rotation.

Since all are intimately related, it makes sense to combine them into one broad topic.
BlueVireo
Division: B
State: OR
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Been thanked: 0

Post by BlueVireo »

It feels so weird now that most of the events in my sixth grade year are gone...it's all new, but so familiar at the same time. There's still Forestry from last year (yay), AgSci (year 2) and CJAP. But some events such as RM, Ornith, and Solar System are gone, and it seems so different but familiar at the same time.

Return to “General Competition”