Bad partners

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
rbejnood
Division: B
State: TN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bad partners

Post by rbejnood »

have any of you guys ever had a partner that is REALLY bad. i don't mean as in if they got thrown into an event the week before competion and didn't know very much, I mean a partner who does absolutely nothing, if not they distract or bother you sometimes, and in the end you end up doing the entire test by yourself. the majority of the time this has happened to me, so i was just wondering if any of you are like me.
The Glass is neither half full nor half empty-it is simply twice as large as it needs to be.
vofbassist
Division: Grad
State: WI

Re: Bad partners

Post by vofbassist »

Kinda, but it didn't help that we were both busy with things. That's why we were separrated this year because we fought alot last year about who did more work. If you ask our coach, he'd say I did, but that's because I took Robot as my own and let him fiddle with EV. That was a mess. Anyway, both of us have become successful in our events now that we're separrated and have somewhat repaired our friendship.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that before we were separrated, a different parnter I had fell asleep during JYC.
danger will robinson
State: CA

Post by danger will robinson »

Thankfully, my partners have been awesome. :D Tennislvr and I have worked together on two events per year since the 6th grade (that makes 3 yrs including this one) and we work SUPER well together. Then, my partner in PSL saved my butt because the entire test was math, something that is not my strong suit, and she is great at it. Thanks my cool partners! :)
Science Olympiad is a tribute to Murphey's Law. This has been proven experimentally.
And no, I'm not a guy...even though my sig says will robsinson. It's a reference to Lost in Space, an ancient sci fi TV show. And the robot is the character who always says the line.
IdahoSciGuy
State: ID

Post by IdahoSciGuy »

i had a partner 5 years ago who did nothing but sit and sleep because he was convinced that if i did the test, he would get his medal. yes, i ended up doing the entire test, and got 1st in the event, but the blatant disregard for teamwork appalled me. needless to say, once my coach found out, he got quite a thrashing. He hasnt done SciOly since :?
Actually, if you don't mind, it's just the doctor. - Doctor Who.

Board of Directors
Idaho Science Olympiad
fli754
State: NY

Post by fli754 »

Yeah, I also had a very laszy and not very motivated partner. We did elevated bridges together and he barely built any parts of the bridge. He took the exacto knife and poked holes in the cardboard we used or used a sharpie and drew things on the cardboard
sweetcoop
State: CO

Post by sweetcoop »

Yes i had the worst possible partner of Rocks and Minerals in 7th grade and she is the main reason that i did not want Rocks at state that year but when i had a conflict with Expermental and Rocks my coach made the decision for me. Anyway my partner was really there in the event to write down the answers on the test. I IDed the rocks and minerals and answered all of the other questions. Then in 8th grade i wanted to rip up the follow-up forms that she had done because i knew they were a peice of pigeon. Oh yeah did i mention this person thought that she did more work in the event just 'cause whe wrote down the answer, and she didn't even know my name.

Other than that i have had awesome event partners for all of my other and i usually have gotten along with them
ImageImage
The 10 most important two letter words.
If it is to be, it is up to me
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by blue cobra »

My partner on Physical Science Lab this year was pretty bad. It's his event, I was just basically stuck on it, but I did more work than he did. He's not mean or anything, he just didn't do any research at all. His whole binder was a wikipedia page on alternative energy, and he forgot to bring that to States. He did no research on his windmill, so he just kept making progressively worse windmills. My mill on low speed was more than double his score on high speed (mine broke trying to put it on the high speed :( ). I did pretty much the entire test by myself, and since I didn't consider it my event, I hardly knew anything. We got 4th out of 5 at Regionals and 30th out of 38 at States :evil: + :(
In full color since 2006
soobsession
Division: C

Post by soobsession »

sweetcoop wrote:Anyway my partner was really there in the event to write down the answers on the test. I IDed the rocks and minerals and answered all of the other questions.
same thing happened here with my partner for fossils. he was my partner for two events. in regionals, bioblitz (trial). it was our only event so he actually studied and we did well... 8-) :) in states, he had more events so he started studying for fossils (meanwhile i was making our super awesome binder) then quite studying. i had to do his part for him...>.< he finally resumed studying a few days before competition/hours before competition when i gave him a practice test and he had some questions...

during the test i id-ed the fossils, taught him how to use the field guide while doing the test :? and he wrote down answers. i credit him for knowing some of his phyla and classes cuz the trial we did together was based on biology...we got first though :D

my other partners were really good. one actually saved me since the test was everything we didnt study... :|

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by smartkid222 »

OH yeah, someone comes to mind when you menchion bad partners, but i'm not gonna say who because people from my school go on this site. I still did good enough to pull it off pretty much by myself though.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
sewforlife

Post by sewforlife »

hmm.. I had one awesome partner who helped with A+R, and a very very bad bridge builder for EB.
Nerds rule. Nerds are awesome. Nerds will someday (soon) rule the world. And you know it.

2010. Be prepared. If not, you f(l)ail!

One Team
One Dream
to REDEEM

Return to “General Competition”