Bad partners

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
dickyjones
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bad partners

Post by dickyjones »

Meh, it happens. I more or less competed in Entomology alone the entire two years I did it. I had a partner who made ID tests for me a couple times but refused to study for it at all, and I was fine with that arrangement since that gave her more time to work on other events. And you don't really need a partner for station events that much anyways. Best moment was at nats when a team behind us dropped their binder and my partner spent 2 minutes helping them pick up the papers. When the person thanked my partner and apologized, my partner replied, "Oh, don't worry about it, I wasn't doing anything anyways." We got 5th anyways, so it worked out.

It's sometimes nice to blame partners and makes yourself feel better, but the truth is it takes two people to fail an event and only one person to win it (for the most part...obviously Sounds/WIDI and long tests/time crucial lab events like Forensics follow this less). I actually tended to do better in events the less prepared my partner was for the most part. It gives you more incentive to work hard in an event if you know you don't have much of a safety net with your teammate.
VHSSO Veteran!
Events: Ecology, Herpetology, Cell Bio, Entomology, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Chem Lab, Disease Detective, Dynamic Planet, Five Star, EggONaut, Enviro Chemistry, Fermi, Quantum Quandaries!
Nationals: Wichita: Ecology-4, Entomology-5, Team-11; DC: Sounds-1, Team-11
GGuy5
Division: B
State: TN

Post by GGuy5 »

most of my partners have been great, and the ones that weren't as good still weren't bad
they just had empty areas for improvement
TN regionals 2010
1st pentathlon
2nd fossils
2nd write it do it
2nd experimental design
3rd dynamic planet
Go Berean
Go Vols
Hook em horns
how bout dem cowboys
vofbassist
Division: Grad
State: WI

Post by vofbassist »

dickyjones wrote:It's sometimes nice to blame partners and makes yourself feel better, but the truth is it takes two people to fail an event and only one person to win it (for the most part...obviously Sounds/WIDI and long tests/time crucial lab events like Forensics follow this less). I actually tended to do better in events the less prepared my partner was for the most part. It gives you more incentive to work hard in an event if you know you don't have much of a safety net with your teammate.
I hear that. For our final three competitions of the year, I was placed with the biggest guy on the team, who also happened to be the biggest guy in the school, because our coach had thought it would be nice for me to have help figuring out where the mystery material went. Needless to say, he helped out a lot more than that. I wouldn't have made it through states without him. And thanks to that, we placed third. The other two tournaments before that, I pretty much did all the work in my events, except trajectory because Sliced Bread 34 took care of that. Oh well. We still did good.
ScienceIsMyLife
Division: C

Post by ScienceIsMyLife »

my partner never does anything until cram night, but we work really well together the day of and he's my best friend, so there's not much i can do.
I <3 SciOly

2009: 5th Picture This
2008: 3rd Environmental Chemistry
2006: 3rd Disease Detective (Div B)
sk8lynne
State: NY

Post by sk8lynne »

in 7th grade i did WIDI with my friend and she had no interest in Scio what so ever. She didn't even try during regionals. She wasn't even goin to go to regionals cause like a week before she just stopped showing up for practices and decided that she quit without ever telling me. My coach got so mad and told her that she was letting me down nd said that she has to go to the competition. So for regionals, I wrote the directions and when she went to do it, she told me afterwards that she didn't even bother to read my directions. She just but the pieces of candy anywhere she wanted (nd yes she told me this to my face). Ughh i got soo mad cause i actually am a pretty good writer. We ended up getting close to last place because of her. :x
Events this year:
Picture This
Forensics
Disease
I am extremely mad that Experimental is not at regionals!
sr243
State: WI

Post by sr243 »

Well this year i have done every event alone. I built my own bridge, did 90% of the ecology test myself, have my partner hold the flashlight for reach for the stars, wrote down all the answer to meteorology. I just never depended upon others so i ended up doing pretty well. As long as the partner is not annoying, I don't care.
yoyosciencekid23
State: PA

Post by yoyosciencekid23 »

in an event that shall remain nameless i didn't have the best of times with my partner he insisted on leaving our buildind event structure
next to the judges table and some guy sat on our styrofoam box that contained our amazing building event structure that would have earned 1st place.

(who would sit on a styrofoam box)

but anyway he was really mean and didn't do very well with the object
:( :( :( :( :(
Regionals: Crave the Wave-4th
PSL-1st
Wright Stuff-3rd

States: Crave the Wave-9th
PSL-12th
Wright Stuff-9th
Write-it-Do-it-23rd
yoyosciencekid23
State: PA

Post by yoyosciencekid23 »

and sk8yllne or something
i feel your pain and it seems like you've got a really great friend there.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Regionals: Crave the Wave-4th
PSL-1st
Wright Stuff-3rd

States: Crave the Wave-9th
PSL-12th
Wright Stuff-9th
Write-it-Do-it-23rd
dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CO

Post by dudeincolorado »

I don't think theres such a thing as a "bad partner". Rather, you can have a partner that doesn't Velcro to you. Sure you could have someone that doesn't do the work, but with a little conviction you can still get them to do work. But, I'm not in much of a position to say, all my partners have been pretty cool 8-)
SO stressed!

Return to “General Competition”