Ecology

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Ecology

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
dickyjones
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ecology

Post by dickyjones »

Meh, I've had the largest love-hate relationship with this event. It's an insanely broad topic, so they can basically put topics on the test that you've never heard/read anything about. And all of the event supervisors have different ideas on whether it should be a pure knowledge event, application event (which the rules say it's supposed to be), or one where it was all analyzing graphs. And all of this makes the results go up in the air and the winner end up whoever views the event closest to how the event supervisor at that tournament views it. Among the years I've gotten 1st and 11th at regionals, 1st and 10ths at state, and 4th and 15th at nats, and I've gotten my best result (4th at nats) with the least amount of study. Go figure.

Now that I'm done ranting...It is a great event that I absolutely love when it's done right. It goes along with Disease in being one of the greatest study events because it teaches to apply process skills to problems rather than just memorization. And it also needs more difficult math concepts to be better. :P
VHSSO Veteran!
Events: Ecology, Herpetology, Cell Bio, Entomology, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Chem Lab, Disease Detective, Dynamic Planet, Five Star, EggONaut, Enviro Chemistry, Fermi, Quantum Quandaries!
Nationals: Wichita: Ecology-4, Entomology-5, Team-11; DC: Sounds-1, Team-11
Bryant
Division: B

Post by Bryant »

i agree completely. there are so many topics but at state they only tested on very few of them, it made me very mad that over 3/4 of the things i studied weren't even on the test.
farewell..S.O.
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice »

I love Ecology. too bad my team won't let me do it =(.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by Pleiades »

gneissisnice wrote:I love Ecology. too bad my team won't let me do it =(.
Why is that?

I love ecology too and i'm the only one on my team who actually knows what ecology is but I cant do the event because at my state you can only do 4 events [sometimes 5] and there are other events that I really want to do and i'm really good at so I cant do ecology.
Last edited by Pleiades on June 21st, 2008, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BFan
Been thanked: 0

Post by BFan »

You love ecology...strange.
This
Hurrraaa!!!!
Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Pleiades »

BFan wrote:You love ecology...strange.
Why is that strange?
Bryant

Post by Bryant »

i didn't know there was even a limit on the number of events you can have at certain states. it's certainly weird. wonder why they do that.
farewell..S.O.
Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Pleiades »

Well its not that there is a limit its that there are only 6 event blocks and the last block which is at 2pm is for lunch for most teams. So that means that one person can only have at most 5 events. If a person has 3 or 4 events then they can have free time for one block to go have lunch [thats what most people do]. Most people on my team only did 2 or 3 events I was the only one in my state i believe to do 5 events. I have the state schedule if you would like to see it as it is kind of hard to explain.

EDIT - Here's my State Schedule. I am team 9 and my events were Meteorology, Reach for the Stars, Crave the Wave, Rocks and Minerals, and Amphibians and Reptiles. Fortunently i was able to do all the events I wanted. Most people ran into conflicts and couldnt do all the events they wanted.
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice »

they wouldnt let me do it because I already had too many events, and we had 2 other people who were good at it. So they were kinda right, but still.....
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

Return to “2009 Study Events”