Best and Worst Things That Have Happened in Scioly

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
sr243
Division: C
State: WI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Best and Worst Things That Have Happened in Scioly

Post by sr243 »

List of bad things that happened at State competition this year
forgot to bring the fan but we had backups which the better one didn't work
scrambler floor was carpet so we didn't even go half the distance and then the second time the string broke
robo-cross got dqed
meterology was on weather
my bridge broke the day before competition so i had to build another overnight
two people doing 3 events each couldn't go, one got sick and one failed a course so no extra-curricular.

List of good things that happened after the competition
We got 5th overall, but then they dqed robo-cross so we got 3rd, that is good from 8th last year.
Meterology i got 3rd even though i guess on half the questions
4 medals our of 5 events, medals are top 3
scrambler got 12th out of 56 teams, not too bad
bridge got 1st beating 2nd place by a ratio of less than 20 points difference
fmtiger124
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by fmtiger124 »

AsllaPiscu wrote:Best: Hotel
Worst: Hotel.

Just kidding. Although I really enjoyed the hotel breakfast. :roll:

Best: Getting two second place medals at states (:D) and getting 1st at regionals. Also getting second place for Road Scholar, something I didn't know I was doing until 10 minutes before the competition. My partner learned he was doing it 5 minutes before the competition. :lol:

Worst: When I had 3 events in a row, one on the top floor of the building (1 trip of the staircase) the next on the bottom floor (2 trips of the staircase) and the last on the top floor of the building... again. (3 trips.) Then I had to walk back down. four trips total. And all of them were heavy-writing events. :cry:
3 years ago we had the worst hotel ever it was an Econo lodge the room had a hole in the wall a light was broken and the smoke detector cover fell off the wall every time you bumped that wall
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

fmtiger124 wrote:
EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:3rd to 5th isn't that bad though, it just really affect the individuals' medals, which stinks. That wouldn't rank on mine if that happened to me though. Maybe that's because I've had much worse Scioly things happen to me. :roll:
well 3rd to 5th is bad if third would have been your teams best finish ever-5th ties two years ago for best ever right now
Oh, you mean in overall finish? Yeah, that is really bad... :?
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
haven chuck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by haven chuck »

Worst- My 6th grade State competition. (Pennsylvania)- 3 events, 18, 28, 32(DQ), total of 78, out of 229 total on the team, having 3 out of 4 worst events on the team. :cry:
-Also, forgeting windmill at states this year (and never getting it back... :lol: )

Best- 2009 States. Before award ceremony (after comps.) thought we didnt trophy; got less than 5 medals. Got 4th (best ever) 11 medals (tied for best ever for team), 3 firsts (tied for best ever for team), 204 points, (best ever for team),
Me- 1st place in Exp. Design and 3rd in Crimebusters for me, 10th in robo-cross and working on it for 3 hours at hotel. :lol: Other events doing ok.
2010 Can't Judge a Powder- NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
2010 Science Crimebusters- 3rd in the NATION
sweetcoop
State: CO

Post by sweetcoop »

AsllaPiscu wrote:Best: Getting two second place medals at states (:D) and getting 1st at regionals. Also getting second place for Road Scholar, something I didn't know I was doing until 10 minutes before the competition. My partner learned he was doing it 5 minutes before the competition. :lol:

Worst: When I had 3 events in a row, one on the top floor of the building (1 trip of the staircase) the next on the bottom floor (2 trips of the staircase) and the last on the top floor of the building... again. (3 trips.) Then I had to walk back down. four trips total. And all of them were heavy-writing events. :cry:
kNow what i can acgually relate to both of these
The first one sounds like me and my Dynamic Planet partner when we were thrown into the event the day before the regiional comp and that ended up my best event at regionals this year. dam i am still pigeon off the the two cheerleaders dicided that cheering at the state basketball tourney was more important that Sci O, how dare them, and i gave up a baseball game for sci O

For the second one you have no right to complain. At the state comp here in Colorado the Colorado School of Mines campus has a really steep hill, Dudeincolorado can back me up on this, and i had 4 events in a row one at the top of the hill, than the bottom, than the top, and finally at the bottom

Anyway i have two new bests and two new worsts.

Best: 7th in DP at regionals when i was thrown into the event one day before the comp cause of cheerleaders
Best:7th in Forensics at state this year. Ok this was not even cool we had 20th at regional and at state we were asked to do math and we drew the judges a pretty picture instead. Me and my partner kept on saying that our coach was not going to let us do the event again next year.

Ok these are not even cool i could almost cry just from thinking about this
worst: 15th in WIDI at the regional comp this year. Ok not even cool to do this bad in an event i am this good at
Worst: 21st in WIDI at the state comp. What is really sad is that we beat all the top schools in CO at the invitational in WIDI and we did this bad at state.
ImageImage
The 10 most important two letter words.
If it is to be, it is up to me
binary010101

Post by binary010101 »

Our Egg-o-Naut got DQ'd because of a rules change that occurred 4 days before states.
Image ...NOT Communist.

Dual-Booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10

THE GAME.

"Mentat, solve thyself." ~ Dune
I follow the Path of the Beam.
yoyosciencekid23
Division: B

Post by yoyosciencekid23 »

worst- someone sat on our wright stuff plane :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
best- we still got ninth with it even though we had to totally rebuild the wing :D :D :D
Regionals: Crave the Wave-4th
PSL-1st
Wright Stuff-3rd

States: Crave the Wave-9th
PSL-12th
Wright Stuff-9th
Write-it-Do-it-23rd
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

binary010101 wrote:Our Egg-o-Naut got DQ'd because of a rules change that occurred 4 days before states.
I'd have raised a fuss.

http://soinc.org/general_requirements
State and regional tournament directors must notify teams of any site-dependent rule or other rule modification at least 30 days prior to the tournament.
sadistic_cottoncandy
State: MA

Post by sadistic_cottoncandy »

best-my team got second in experimental design.
worst-i would tell you, but i'd probably end up using language that would get me kicked off the site.
"Such a disappointment to the world"
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

yoyosciencekid23 wrote:worst- someone sat on our wright stuff plane :evil: :evil: :evil:
best- we still got ninth with it even though we had to totally rebuild the wing :D :D :D
guess who also put that...
49ers wrote:worst thing that happenned this year was at states again: someone sat on our extremely fragile plane, broke it, and we had to fix it (we being yoyo science kid23 and hemi428)

Best thing: we placed 9th nonetheless!!!!!!!!!! :D :!: :D
I find that funny! :lol: It makes sense though.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Return to “General Competition”