dickyjones
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Amphibians and Reptiles

Post by dickyjones »

The list is up on soinc and is the same as said. Rules are also similar.

So they added (from my incredibly quick count) 5 specimens (12 if you count additons to make dual IDs like 'Gekkonidae & Eublepharidae') and took away 23. In my opinion, that is not something you can do in the second year of an ID event and still expect much spread in test scores among top teams (especially at the national level if there's another test like last years). Hopefully, the tests I take will be difficult enough in time limits or questions to make up for it.

It'll be fun editing field guides this year... :|
VHSSO Veteran!
Events: Ecology, Herpetology, Cell Bio, Entomology, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Chem Lab, Disease Detective, Dynamic Planet, Five Star, EggONaut, Enviro Chemistry, Fermi, Quantum Quandaries!
Nationals: Wichita: Ecology-4, Entomology-5, Team-11; DC: Sounds-1, Team-11
adam124218
Division: C

Post by adam124218 »

I think you do have to count those duals, so they really added 9, but I agree with you, it seems bad that they made the list so much smaller. Maybe they'll add more things you need to know about them.

They took away a lot of the hard ones, which seems silly to me. Why not take away something easy like soft-shelled turtles. Anyone can identify a soft-shelled turtle. Not anyone can identify a lungless salamander. Those lungless salamanders were some of the most interesting of the specimens on the list and I don't know why they took them away. Now the only really hard ones left are all of those dumb snakes. I don't have anything against snakes, I just think there the most boring of the reptiles and amphibians.
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice »

Too bad, I liked wall lizards and fringe-toed lizards :( . Still, I cant complain about the removal of uta and urosaurus, and the other pair (holbrookia and collophorous, i think).
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by Pleiades »

I wonder what the reason was behind removing all of those. I dont see how that alone will spread out the test scores too. I'll lug out my binder later and count how many species I lost. For most genera I had several species.
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice »

oh, it was cophosaurus...my bad.
2009 events:
Deeisenberg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by Deeisenberg »

These changes won't spread out test scores at all. The lack of the binder will cause the gap between the good teams and the not so good teams larger. The easier list will just make everyones scores closer together. I am really hoping that they will increase the difficulty on the tests, at least for us. I can't wait until they start taking clarifications, because that will be the thing that will help determine how binders will be reincarnated so to speak.
Events: Herpetology, Fossils, Entomology, Rocks & Minerals, Ornithology, Ecology
Nationals 2008: 1st in Herpetology
Nationals 2009: 1st in Herpetology, 2nd in Fossils

Harriton Class of 2010
Sheogorath

Post by Sheogorath »

adam124218 wrote:I think you do have to count those duals, so they really added 9, but I agree with you, it seems bad that they made the list so much smaller. Maybe they'll add more things you need to know about them.

They took away a lot of the hard ones, which seems silly to me. Why not take away something easy like soft-shelled turtles. Anyone can identify a soft-shelled turtle. Not anyone can identify a lungless salamander. Those lungless salamanders were some of the most interesting of the specimens on the list and I don't know why they took them away. Now the only really hard ones left are all of those dumb snakes. I don't have anything against snakes, I just think there the most boring of the reptiles and amphibians.
I agree snakes were the worst, they just aren't that interesting

And I wish they kept sea turtles, Loggerheads were cool
2007 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Fermi Questions, SumoBots
2008 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Herpetology, SumoBots, Forensics

2009 Events: Remote Sensing 3, Astronomy 2, Fossils 2, Sumobots 1, It's About Time 1, Chem Lab 2
Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by Pleiades »

I loved sea turtles!! i'm sad that they're gone!

I wasnt a huge fan of frogs.. those were probably my worst. My best was by far turtles though.. i had no problem identifying those. That and crocodilians :D
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice »

Lizards are my best...turtles all look the same to me :( . And I know nothing about snakes, thats my partners domain. And frogs are really hard.
2009 events:
Deeisenberg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by Deeisenberg »

I love them all, the turtles are very easy, and the lizards were not especially difficult, though harder than turtles. Snakes were probably the second most difficult taxon, though by far my favorite. I hated salamanders but my partner was very good at them. As for frogs, my partner was signifigantly better at them, but I don't think that they were that hard if you could keep the few little tricks for hylidae straight.
Events: Herpetology, Fossils, Entomology, Rocks & Minerals, Ornithology, Ecology
Nationals 2008: 1st in Herpetology
Nationals 2009: 1st in Herpetology, 2nd in Fossils

Harriton Class of 2010

Return to “2009 Study Events”