Anatomy

Arthur
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy

Post by Arthur »

what muscular diseases are you going to start studying?
kp9ssa
Division: B

Post by kp9ssa »

soobsession wrote:i kinda doubt we'd have to know all the muscles...probably just the major ones...
on the rules it only sed to learn the 50 major muscles
States

1st- Anatomy
4th- Dynamic Planet
2nd- Water Quality
2nd- Write it Do it

Team Overall: 1st
soobsession
Division: C

Post by soobsession »

kp9ssa wrote:
soobsession wrote:i kinda doubt we'd have to know all the muscles...probably just the major ones...
on the rules it only sed to learn the 50 major muscles
rules? which rules?

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

kp9ssa

Post by kp9ssa »

i thnk there ar some draft rules on soinc somewhere
States

1st- Anatomy
4th- Dynamic Planet
2nd- Water Quality
2nd- Write it Do it

soobsession

Post by soobsession »

kp9ssa wrote:i thnk there ar some draft rules on soinc somewhere
erm...do you mind giving a link? i couldnt find them anywhere...

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

kp9ssa

Post by kp9ssa »

my coach found them.

im sorry. if i find them ill put them on here
States

1st- Anatomy
4th- Dynamic Planet
2nd- Water Quality
2nd- Write it Do it

dvd

Post by dvd »

For the diseases, I'm gonna study the following:

* myalgic encephalomyelitis
* chronic fatigue syndrome
* fibromyalgia
* muscular dystrophy
* motor neurone disease

Those are the major ones in my mind.
2011 Regional, States, National Events
Disease Detectives- N/A, 3rd, 9th
Anatomy- 1st, 2nd, 20th
Microbe Mission- 2nd, 3rd, 4th
WIDI- 1st, 2nd, 38th
Fossils- 2nd, N/A, N/A
Compute This- 4th, 4th, N/A
Team- 1st, 1st, 11th

Medal Count: 32
Moving on to C division
RightorRong
State: CA

Post by RightorRong »

dvd wrote:For the diseases, I'm gonna study the following:

* fibromyalgia
* muscular dystrophy
* motor neurone disease

???????????????????? Never heard of any of them. What are they?
gyourkoshaven

Post by gyourkoshaven »

RightorRong wrote:

* fibromyalgia
* muscular dystrophy
* motor neurone disease

myalgic encephalomyelitis/Chronic fatigue syndrome- Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is the most common name given to an inadequately understood, variably debilitating disorder or disorders of uncertain causation. It is also commonly known as myalgic encephalomyelitis or ME.
Symptoms of CFS include widespread muscle and joint pain, cognitive difficulties, chronic, often severe mental and physical exhaustion and other characteristic symptoms in a previously healthy and active person. Fatigue is a common symptom in many illnesses, but CFS is a multi-systemic disease and is relatively rare by comparison. Diagnosis requires a number of features the most common being severe mental and physical exhaustion which is "unrelieved by rest", is worsened by exertion and is present for at least six months. All diagnostic criteria require that the symptoms must not be caused by other medical conditions. CFS patients may report additional symptoms including muscle weakness, cognitive dysfunction, hypersensitivity, orthostatic intolerance, digestive disturbances, depression, poor immune response, cardiac and respiratory problems. It is unclear if these symptoms represent co-morbid conditions or are produced by an underlying etiology of CFS. Full resolution occurs in only 5-10% of cases.

fibromyalgia- a disorder classified by the presence of chronic widespread pain and a heightened and painful response to gentle touch (tactile allodynia). Other core features of the disorder include debilitating fatigue, sleep disturbance, and joint stiffness. In addition, persons affected by the disorder frequently experience a range of other symptoms that involve multiple body systems, including difficulty with swallowing, functional bowel and bladder abnormalities, difficulty breathing, diffuse sensations of numbness and tingling (non-dermatomal paresthesia), abnormal motor activity (i.e. nocturnal myoclonus, sleep bruxism),and cognitive dysfunction. An increased prevalence of affective and anxiety-related symptoms is also well known. While the criteria for such an entity have not yet been thoroughly developed, the recognition that fibromyalgia involves more than just pain has led to the frequent use of the term "fibromyalgia syndrome". Not all affected persons experience all the symptoms associated with the greater syndrome.

muscular dystrophy- a group of genetic, hereditary muscle diseases that weaken the muscles that move the human body. Muscular dystrophies are characterized by progressive skeletal muscle weakness, defects in muscle proteins, and the death of muscle cells and tissue. Nine diseases including Duchenne, Becker, limb girdle, congenital, facioscapulohumeral, myotonic, oculopharyngeal, distal, and Emery-Dreifuss are always classified as muscular dystrophy but there are more than 100 diseases in total with similarities to muscular dystrophy. Most types of MD are multi-system disorders with manifestations in body systems including the heart, gastrointestinal and nervous systems, endocrine glands, skin, eyes and other organs

motor neurone disease-a group of neurological disorders that selecively affect motor neurones, the cells that control voluntary muscle activity including speaking, walking, breathing, swallowing and general movement of the body. Also known as ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease.

Really, could we live without Wikipedia?
Strath Haven MS:
2008: Regionals-3, States-5
2009: Regionals-2, States-4
2010: Regionals-1, States-2, Nationals-19 :)
2011 (Co-captain): Regionals-1, States-1, Nationals-11 :D

Nationals: Aquifers-37, Compute This-13, Dynamic Planet-25, Ecology-6, Experimental Design-7, Junkyard-33

Moving to C...
RightorRong
State: CA

Post by RightorRong »

gyourkoshaven wrote:
RightorRong wrote:

* fibromyalgia
* muscular dystrophy
* motor neurone disease

myalgic encephalomyelitis/Chronic fatigue syndrome- Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is the most common name given to an inadequately understood, variably debilitating disorder or disorders of uncertain causation. It is also commonly known as myalgic encephalomyelitis or ME.
Symptoms of CFS include widespread muscle and joint pain, cognitive difficulties, chronic, often severe mental and physical exhaustion and other characteristic symptoms in a previously healthy and active person. Fatigue is a common symptom in many illnesses, but CFS is a multi-systemic disease and is relatively rare by comparison. Diagnosis requires a number of features the most common being severe mental and physical exhaustion which is "unrelieved by rest", is worsened by exertion and is present for at least six months. All diagnostic criteria require that the symptoms must not be caused by other medical conditions. CFS patients may report additional symptoms including muscle weakness, cognitive dysfunction, hypersensitivity, orthostatic intolerance, digestive disturbances, depression, poor immune response, cardiac and respiratory problems. It is unclear if these symptoms represent co-morbid conditions or are produced by an underlying etiology of CFS. Full resolution occurs in only 5-10% of cases.

fibromyalgia- a disorder classified by the presence of chronic widespread pain and a heightened and painful response to gentle touch (tactile allodynia). Other core features of the disorder include debilitating fatigue, sleep disturbance, and joint stiffness. In addition, persons affected by the disorder frequently experience a range of other symptoms that involve multiple body systems, including difficulty with swallowing, functional bowel and bladder abnormalities, difficulty breathing, diffuse sensations of numbness and tingling (non-dermatomal paresthesia), abnormal motor activity (i.e. nocturnal myoclonus, sleep bruxism),and cognitive dysfunction. An increased prevalence of affective and anxiety-related symptoms is also well known. While the criteria for such an entity have not yet been thoroughly developed, the recognition that fibromyalgia involves more than just pain has led to the frequent use of the term "fibromyalgia syndrome". Not all affected persons experience all the symptoms associated with the greater syndrome.

muscular dystrophy- a group of genetic, hereditary muscle diseases that weaken the muscles that move the human body. Muscular dystrophies are characterized by progressive skeletal muscle weakness, defects in muscle proteins, and the death of muscle cells and tissue. Nine diseases including Duchenne, Becker, limb girdle, congenital, facioscapulohumeral, myotonic, oculopharyngeal, distal, and Emery-Dreifuss are always classified as muscular dystrophy but there are more than 100 diseases in total with similarities to muscular dystrophy. Most types of MD are multi-system disorders with manifestations in body systems including the heart, gastrointestinal and nervous systems, endocrine glands, skin, eyes and other organs

motor neurone disease-a group of neurological disorders that selecively affect motor neurones, the cells that control voluntary muscle activity including speaking, walking, breathing, swallowing and general movement of the body. Also known as ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) or Lou Gehrig's Disease.

Really, could we live without Wikipedia?
Thanks. No, I don't think we could.

Return to “2009 Study Events”