Helicopter Trial Event

carneyf1d
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Helicopter Trial Event

Post by carneyf1d »

since helicopter is gonna be a trial event next year, thought id post a new topic for it
anybody got some tips or tricks to get a well flying helicopter?
fmtiger124
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Helicopter Trial Event

Post by fmtiger124 »

I thought it was a Pilot event.....at least thats what it is in New York State
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by blue cobra »

I built a "helicopter" yesterday in about fifteen minutes out of some WS parts. COMPLETE FAILURE! Moral of the story: a single puller prop on the top of the MS isn't going to cut it ;)
I do look forward to building some 'copters over the summer and hopefully next season (if my coach lets me do both WS and this [can more than one pair from the same team enter a pilot event?]). Either way I have high hopes for this event and can't wait to see what is made of it! :D
In full color since 2006
carneyf1d

Post by carneyf1d »

yea. strapping a prop on top of a motor stick wont fly too great lol. you need something to balance out the torque caused by the propeller. I'm gonna build something next week most likely, and ill post some picture/ construction notes from it.
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by smartkid222 »

fmtiger124 wrote:I thought it was a Pilot event.....at least thats what it is in New York State
it is a pilot event; just excuse carney he's not from NY so it's ok.
blue cobra wrote:I do look forward to building some 'copters over the summer and hopefully next season (if my coach lets me do both WS and this [can more than one pair from the same team enter a pilot event?]). Either way I have high hopes for this event and can't wait to see what is made of it! :D
I look forward to this event too :D
i really do not understand the question. for each team 2 people can enter the event. the people can be from the 15 team members but don't have to.
is this what you were saying?
carneyf1d wrote: I'm gonna build something next week most likely, and ill post some picture/ construction notes from it.
Nice.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Whatever NY is calling it, Helicopter was piloted by OH, MI and I think IN last year. In the SO scheme of things that makes it a national trial event for 2010.

But none of that makes any difference to the rules or competitors unless your state makes a distinction.

As to competitors, rules are like WS, a team of two from your overall team of 15 competes. Doesn't matter which other events they participate in. But at many tournaments (since the scores don't count to team standing), the organizers open Trial/Pilot events to alternates from outside the competitive 15 to allow wider participation. At MI last year we allowed as many two person teams as a school wanted to send.

As to designs, a single rotor can work, but you need something to slow the counter rotation of the motor stick. Look up Wright Bat for one idea.

I suspect, but don't know, that a counter-rotating twin rotor design will be optimum. Max diameter rotors. Build to minimum weight. Look up Jimmy Walker Ceiling Walker for a crude version of this concept.

I've heard many arguments on numbers of blades, but I'm not convinced by theory presented so far on what's best. Gut feel, more blade area is better than less. High aspect ratio (narrow) blades are better than low aspect ratio (wide) blades. So multiple narrow blades on each rotor seems attractive. But I've seen very nice flying designs with twin rotors, two blades each, and they are certainly easy to build.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

Have to take some pictures of ideas I've tried and post I guess.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
carneyf1d

Post by carneyf1d »

Although im not gonna try this on the first build. do you think this design has a higher potential than most others?
http://picasaweb.google.com/jeffrey.hoo ... 7835332994
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Such designs are certainly proven as to basic flight capability, they should be capable of exceeding a minute and a half under SO rules. But...

Ultimately...

I have NO idea. Helicopter is no where near as established an event in AMA indoor free flight as something like Wright Stuff. And that's kind of what makes it interesting.

All us 'experts' can do is point in directions we'd explore. We can get you started with proven, basic concepts that work. Maybe help on methods and practices. Help trouble shoot problems, etc. But I'm not sure we really know what will work best.

Example, most AMA helicopters are double rotor designs like the one in your link and fly in hover mode all the time. But I'm well aware that for full size helicopters hover is a very inefficient mode. Takes much less power to fly while moving horizontally, and that's true even if no horizontal flight surfaces. Is there a way to exploit this for SO size helicopters? Darned if I know, but I look forward to seeing what the students try.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by 49ers »

does it cost much to buy a kit for a helicopter?
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
You are now free to lose the game.
ESU Warrior '21
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Disk is lif.
Physics; Earth and Space Science major; Math minor.
Get me out of this place *gestures wildly at USA*
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Not a lot of kits out there, none to SO rules yet. But generally around $20 or less.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

Return to “2009 Build Events”