49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Anyone medaled at Nats?

Post by 49ers »

I never saind not every state was going to get more slots and you dont have to be so rude about it
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
You are now free to lose the game.
ESU Warrior '21
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Disk is lif.
Physics; Earth and Space Science major; Math minor.
Get me out of this place *gestures wildly at USA*
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by fleet130 »

The number of teams a venue can support is limited by available facilities, housing, personnel, funding, time constraints and possibly many other reasons. ALL of these problems must be solved BEFORE they could consider adding slots.

Science Olympiad is a private corporation founded for the specific purpose of increasing interest in science & science education. They are not part of the school system or any other government entity. Why would anyone think they would be government funded?
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
fmtiger124
State: NY

Post by fmtiger124 »

49ers wrote:I never saind not every state was going to get more slots and you dont have to be so rude about it
youd been suggesting it by basically only making arguments for ohio, and pensylvainia.
When a bunch of other states could make an argument too--NY, California etc.
49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by 49ers »

because I thought that they were part of the school system
I never said any thing about not arguing for other states as you mentioned
Last edited by 49ers on July 20th, 2009, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
You are now free to lose the game.
ESU Warrior '21
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Disk is lif.
Physics; Earth and Space Science major; Math minor.
Get me out of this place *gestures wildly at USA*
fmtiger124
State: NY

Post by fmtiger124 »

49ers wrote:because I thought that they were part of the school system
most are, but SO is funded through a part of the budget that isn't state money, the rules for spending state given money are very specific.
wlsguy
State: OH

Post by wlsguy »

First, I completely agree with Fleet130, the number of teams at Nats is limited by the cost of hosting a National Tournement. It is already expensive and will only become more of a burden on the hosting schools in the future.

I also feel, however, that the distribution by number of participating schools is unfair to those states with more competitive programs.

Therefore, I think the 60 team distribution should be:

47 - (i.e. 1 for each State. Each state should be able to send their champion sorry California, you only get one with this method)
1 for the hosting State ( this may encourage State Directors to push their colleges to spend the money and host the tournement)
12- awarded to the top 12 finishing teams from the previous years National tournement. If a State places 2 teams in the top 12, they get to bring 3 the next year)

= 60

This will award the competitive states, give those smaller states a chance of getting additional slots, and provide for an ever changing National representation.

The concern would be if a single state (like OH, PA, NY, MI, etc) were to get 3 teams and all of them placed in the top 12. They would get 4 the next year, could get 5 the next, etc.
While this is highely unlikely, it could happen.

Anyway, while I think this is the best way to distribute the slots, someone would be disappointed....

p.s. since science olympiad is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. they cannot receive any federal money.
denmarksoccer
Division: C

Post by denmarksoccer »

You could just limit the number of teams to 3 per state, so that we don't end up with Ohio sending 6 teams every year.
2010:
Pentathlon-1@ regs, 4@ states, 16@ nationals
Road Scholar-2@ regs, 8@ states, 31st@ nationals
Disease Detectives-2@ regs, 1st@ states, 5@ nationals
Bio-Process Lab- 2@ states, 11@ nationals
Physical Science Lab- 38@ nationals
Team-1@ regs, 2@ states, 19@ nationals

Moving up to C.
nejanimb
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by nejanimb »

wlsguy wrote:First, I completely agree with Fleet130, the number of teams at Nats is limited by the cost of hosting a National Tournement. It is already expensive and will only become more of a burden on the hosting schools in the future.

I also feel, however, that the distribution by number of participating schools is unfair to those states with more competitive programs.

Therefore, I think the 60 team distribution should be:

47 - (i.e. 1 for each State. Each state should be able to send their champion sorry California, you only get one with this method)
1 for the hosting State ( this may encourage State Directors to push their colleges to spend the money and host the tournement)
12- awarded to the top 12 finishing teams from the previous years National tournement. If a State places 2 teams in the top 12, they get to bring 3 the next year)

= 60

This will award the competitive states, give those smaller states a chance of getting additional slots, and provide for an ever changing National representation.

The concern would be if a single state (like OH, PA, NY, MI, etc) were to get 3 teams and all of them placed in the top 12. They would get 4 the next year, could get 5 the next, etc.
While this is highely unlikely, it could happen.

Anyway, while I think this is the best way to distribute the slots, someone would be disappointed....

p.s. since science olympiad is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. they cannot receive any federal money.
For example, that would mean that next year in C division, PA, OH, and CA could bring 3 teams, and CO would get a second team, while GA, MO, ND, and KS would be stripped of their second team.
Harriton '10, UVA '14
Event Supervisor in MA (prev. VA and NorCal)
Aia
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: WA

Post by Aia »

Here's an interesting thought on this team arrangement: suppose a state currently has one team participating at the National level, and this team hopes to crack top ten in order to gain a second team for the state. Now, suppose several other teams in the same state also want to qualify for Nationals. Would rival teams try to help the state-winning team between State and Nationals in order to increase their chances of qualifying for Nationals the following year? Theoretically, this team arrangement could foster collaboration within a state. It wouldn't be too difficult for a rival team to share engineering from a gold medal device, or even share resources for academic events.
Science Olympiad Alumna and Volunteer
Aia's Boomilever Guide: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Aia%27 ... ever_Guide
scienceolympiadist
State: OH

Post by scienceolympiadist »

I doubt that would happen, because the team that didn't make it to Nationals wouldn't want to give out all their secrets and doom themselves for the next year.

Return to “2009 Nationals”