Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Pentathalon

Post by haven chuck »

What was this like at nationals? They did it as a trial at both regionals and states and it was horrible at regionals and okay at states. It seems like the rules need a lot of detail in order to have this event work.
2010 Can't Judge a Powder- NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
2010 Science Crimebusters- 3rd in the NATION
Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: AL

Re: Pentathalon

Post by Pleiades »

The rules deff need some work. I could make little sense out of them. I am also very excited for this event because it sounds like this also tests your athletic ability which my team has a lot of.
Bryant
Division: B

Post by Bryant »

what exactly is this event?
farewell..S.O.
haven chuck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by haven chuck »

The idea of the event is 2 or 4 people switch doing a physical challenge (not hard) then answer a general science question. After 4 phyiscal things and 4 Q's, they work together to do a final teamwork challenge. That's about all it says in the rules. It is way too general.
Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Pleiades »

By physical challenge do you think it means like going through an obstacle course or shooting three pointers or something along that line? So the first person goes through the course and at the end gets asked one question and then once they answer they tag the next person and they go through the course and answer questions? And then your final score is based on your time and accuracy of your answers? Hopefully they will improve the rules!
sachleen
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by sachleen »

HAHA, that sounds sooo fun! if thats what it is, lol, you guys are gonna have a LOT of fun 'practicing' for the event. :lol:
haven chuck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by haven chuck »

The trial rules were taken down but that's the idea except the physical challenge is one thing, like throwing a football through a hoop, then you answer the question, then your partner does the next, different thing, like running through cones, then answers their question, then you do yet another different thing, answer a question, your partner does a final different thing, answers a question, then you both work together to do one one final teamwork activity. The scoring was your time but you got a one minute penalty if you couldn't answer each question. The thing about the questions though was that each time, you only had to answer one question of 5 that they asked you. If you got the first wrong, they would ask another, but it would waste time. If you couldn't answer any of them you would move on but get the penalty. That is all the trial rules said that i can remember, so they will propbaly change them.
Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Pleiades »

Do you think its going to be a 4 person event or a 2 person event? I hope its a 2 person event because I can deffinently see scheduling conflicts comming up.
haven chuck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by haven chuck »

I would guess it will be two person because they don't want to have 4 people do one event and if you were one of the 4, you wouldn't do much.
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!

Return to “2009 Study Events”