Egg-O-Naut C

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Re: Egg-O-Naut

Post by andrewwski »

mooble117 wrote:my school doesn't get the rules till mid October. Could someone post the rules for eggonaut?
Order the rules yourself then, they should come in within a week if they're still shipping.
mooble117
Been thanked: 0

Post by mooble117 »

Ordered!
So what has everyone decided about bottles? 20oz,24oz, 1 liter(are they even allowed this year?).
bearasauras
State: CA

Post by bearasauras »

The volume of the bottle cannot exceed 1 liter, so a 1 liter bottle that satisfies the other requirements can be used.
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

Club soda is the only thing I can find that comes in a 1 liter size. I'm going to try both 1 L and 24 oz.
rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by rocketman1555 »

so do most pops, look for coke products in gas stations, but i use the generic pops at the store and the club soda or tonic water bottles, or go look for bottles at a dollar store
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.
mooble117

Post by mooble117 »

Its really a trade off between the 24oz and the 1 liters.
The 24oz ones are narrower, so the rocket doesn't have to be as tall to be balanced. While the 1 liter bottles, with a longer duration of thrust, are bigger and therefore the rest of the rocket also needs to be bigger, and therefore heavier. a narrow 1 liter would be best.
captbilly

Post by captbilly »

I am sorry to be asking the same question twice, but what kind of devices are legal to use to slow the decent of the egg-o-naut? There is no reference to any weight limits, size limits (other than maximum of 1 liter bottle) or anything else that explains what is meant by "free-fall recovery system". They could mean that you can't use any energy to keep the egg-o-naut aloft, but I first interpreted the rule to mean that the egg-o-naut must simply be a capsule for the egg. Does anyone know how the event was done when it was a trial event? Was this ever an official event before, if so how did it work? I found the trial event rules and I see that the rule "Any free-fall recovery system is allowed" was the same in the trial event rules. I never saw the egg-o-naut event, were parachutes, wings, rotors, etc. allowed?
mooble117

Post by mooble117 »

I interpret that as meaning no powered systems for keeping the rocket aloft. Parachutes should be okay, propellers not so much.
DeltaHat

Post by DeltaHat »

I built one over the summer at Summer Fun Camp that had deployed aluminum fins made out of soda cans when the egg deployed. Plastic springs flipped out the fins and the egg spiraled back to the earth like a helecopter. It looked great, and the egg survived, but my time wasn't nearly as good as the well made parachutes.

Then I had fun just launching and deploying an egg - with nothing to stop its freefall. :ugeek:
National Event Supervisor - Mission Possible
Uncle Fester
State: IN

Post by Uncle Fester »

That one was fun! Worked far better than I expected (yes, I >DID< expect it to do well!). The non-slowing versi9on that hit the sidewalk was great-- never saw an egg splat at such a high speed.
Uncle Fester, Maker & Fiction Science Writer

The Misadventures of the Electric Detention
The Revenge of the Electric Detention
The Curse of the Electric Detention
>> Three full-length adventures, 26 short stories and counting!

Return to “2009 Build Events”