Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by Paradox21 »

According to http://www.aug.edu/gaso/6-12.html only 1 mousetrap will be used for Out and Back. That is a pretty big change from the trial event rules from nationals.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

It's important to understand that trial event rules on the national website usually reflect the event as it was run in the past, not how it will be run in the future.

You should contact the organizers of any tournament you will compete in to find out what rules they will be using (this is somewhat true of all events). Many tournaments change the rules to accommodate local thinking and/or facilities
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

Yep, it's probably best to just wait for the official rules to come out before making any hasty conclusions.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

It is one or two mousetraps. Triggering the second trap should be easy, but how do you prevent the second mechanism from interfering with forward progress on the way out? The only thing I can think of that seems simple enough to be reliable is a ratchet and pawl, allowing the axle to spin freely inside the wheel in one direction only. Does anyone have any other ideas?
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

Flavorflav wrote:It is one or two mousetraps. Triggering the second trap should be easy, but how do you prevent the second mechanism from interfering with forward progress on the way out? The only thing I can think of that seems simple enough to be reliable is a ratchet and pawl, allowing the axle to spin freely inside the wheel in one direction only. Does anyone have any other ideas?
I assume you are referring to the short event description for this event when you say one or two mousetraps. Which makes me wonder why you would ever use 1 when you could use two, unless there is a bonus of some kind. As far as the 2nd trap, I like the ratchet and pawl idea too, the only other ideas I have would be to have it start unwound and wind around the axle on the way out, then pull tight which triggers the trap. But it would take a lot of fine tuning and I have admittedly never tryed it. The other possibility would be to hook both traps to one axle and pull that axle out then switch the string and direction and bring it back in on that axle.
robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by robotman »

i find the easiest way to do it is with both mousetraps pulling on both legs of the trip
it is the easiest to design and the easiest to get to work right all it involves is a cool bit of winding :D
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

Paradox21 wrote:
Flavorflav wrote:It is one or two mousetraps. Triggering the second trap should be easy, but how do you prevent the second mechanism from interfering with forward progress on the way out? The only thing I can think of that seems simple enough to be reliable is a ratchet and pawl, allowing the axle to spin freely inside the wheel in one direction only. Does anyone have any other ideas?
I assume you are referring to the short event description for this event when you say one or two mousetraps. Which makes me wonder why you would ever use 1 when you could use two, unless there is a bonus of some kind. As far as the 2nd trap, I like the ratchet and pawl idea too, the only other ideas I have would be to have it start unwound and wind around the axle on the way out, then pull tight which triggers the trap. But it would take a lot of fine tuning and I have admittedly never tryed it. The other possibility would be to hook both traps to one axle and pull that axle out then switch the string and direction and bring it back in on that axle.
You assume incorrectly. The official rules state "one or two unmodified snap mousetraps." Are you thinking of having the string move from an idler spool to the axle as the car travels out? It seems dangerous to just have it flopping around loose.
robotman09 wrote:i find the easiest way to do it is with both mousetraps pulling on both legs of the trip
it is the easiest to design and the easiest to get to work right all it involves is a cool bit of winding :D
Are you planning to wrap it in one direction on the inside, then reverse the wrap for the second half of the wind? Have you tried this, and does it work?
robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by robotman »

Flavorflav wrote:
robotman09 wrote:i find the easiest way to do it is with both mousetraps pulling on both legs of the trip
Are you planning to wrap it in one direction on the inside, then reverse the wrap for the second half of the wind? Have you tried this, and does it work?
yep i have tried it it works great you just need to have a pin so that i will reverse you wrap it the number you think you need to come back first than you hook it around the pin and continue wrapping
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

Hmmm, that sounds a lot simpler, and simpler is almost always better. We'll give it a try, thanks.

Return to “2010 Build Events”