rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wind Power Div. C

Post by rocketman1555 »

If the rules for this event are the same in your state as they are here in TX, then they are exactly the same Physics Lab
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.
carneyf1d

Post by carneyf1d »

wind power is essentially building a propeller that generates energy from wind. the most important thing i can think of is making a windmill with blades having an airfoil designed to maximize efficiency. you can look up equations that correspond to power, P= T(Vinfinity + v) and thrust, T = 2(rho)A(Vinfinity+v)v and come up with a mathematical way to maximize the energy produced by the blades rotation.
vofbassist
State: WI

Post by vofbassist »

man, and I thought physics was slightly challenging so far. could you give an equivalent to infinity?
carneyf1d

Post by carneyf1d »

Vinfinity is the same as the air velocity out in front of the propeller. As the air hits the propeller, the velocity changes to Vinfinity + v. Behind the propeller, the velocity is Vinfinity+ 2v. The v term is the accelerated air from the propeller. by definition T = momentum in-momentum out. Therefore, rho*A*V = rho*A*V...meaning Thrust = rho*A*(Vinfinity)(Vinfinity+ 2v) - rho*A(Vinfinity+v)(Vinfinity+2v)....by simplifying this you have T=2rho*A*(Vinfinity+v)v
now to find power you use the conservation of energy. Power= energy rate out- energy rate in. P = 1/2 mV^2 - 1/2mV^2. simplifying this you can find that Power= T(Vinfinity + v)

anyways. equations suck, but they are sort of important. if you have more questions just PM me or whatever.
gh
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: NY

Post by gh »

Erm, I think he's just writing math incorrectly. I'm guessing "Vinfinity" means "V sub infinity" which would be written as V_infinity. "Vinfinity" as it is written would mean V*i*n*f*i*n*i*t*y.

Also, we can have a nice, informative discussion here on the issues, without having to make it private. Other users would then be able to benefit from the information and find it later using the search function, which will obviously not work with PMs. :)
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” —Sophocles
If you are looking to give help or get help:
[wiki][/wiki] > Forum post > > PM > Email
Don't forget the Image Gallery, the , and the list of Exalted User medals.
vofbassist
State: WI

Post by vofbassist »

wow...I was looking for a number I could punch into a calculator, but thanks for the equations. now I'm going to contemplate the answer to life. contact me in the next millenium...
carneyf1d

Post by carneyf1d »

if you can find the speed of the wind they provide you...then you can go through a few equations to get some answers.
and besides, you cant always just punch something into the calculator and get a number for everything you want. you have to go through several things to get a calculation...remember, its science olympiad, not special olympics.
Last edited by carneyf1d on October 12th, 2008, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
carneyf1d

Post by carneyf1d »

Erm, I think he's just writing math incorrectly. I'm guessing "Vinfinity" means "V sub infinity" which would be written as V_infinity. "Vinfinity" as it is written would mean V*i*n*f*i*n*i*t*y.
sorry about the bad quotation. You got what i meant. if it doesnt make sense then its probably not what i was going for. its just easier to write it as one word instead of the whole underscore thing.
gh
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: NY

Post by gh »

I was trying to clarify it for vofbassist, who thought it had something to do with the "number" infinity.
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” —Sophocles
If you are looking to give help or get help:
[wiki][/wiki] > Forum post > > PM > Email
Don't forget the Image Gallery, the , and the list of Exalted User medals.
Grace
Division: C

Post by Grace »

rocketman1555 wrote:use the materials and build something that resembles a windmill, thats all i can think of

how are they going to measure how much power you generate?

you might want to ask someone thats good at mystery arch or another building event at your school for some help
They use a voltmeter. You have to create a windmill that can produce the most power at a strong and gentle breeze. I'd give some hints but seeing that we'll be competing with Boyceville, WI in 3 weeks... ;)

I'll provide some hints in the near future, though.
Mounds View High School & Captain - Minnesota
2009 Events: Health Science, Physics Lab, Disease Detectives, Wind Power, Elevated Bridge, Picture This, Protein Modeling, Write It Do It
Too many events...

Regionals 1st Place - Elevated Bridge
Invitationals 2nd Place - Elevated Bridge

Return to “2009 Build Events”